David Platts deerhound documentary

I think,but am not sure, that the bloke who bred your bitch,(Lima) had two litters out of greyhound bitches to the same deerhound sire  at the same time ( Doxhope Knights Errant). I met Trevor and he told me the breeder had used his stud dog but not paid him and then came back asking to use the dog again! (If that isn't true I apologise before I am sued for libel.)

Trevor showed me round his allotment and introduced me to his hounds.....crackers! He used to be on here but I have lost contact with him now. One thing for sure is that he worked his hounds to very good effect.

• Like 1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love the Deerhound hybrids....? I miss them.....?  

Deerhound hybrids were all the rage in the 1980's,...we all had some fun...?  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jukel123 said:

I think,but am not sure, that the bloke who bred your bitch,(Lima) had two litters out of greyhound bitches to the same deerhound sire  at the same time ( Doxhope Knights Errant). I met Trevor and he told me the breeder had used his stud dog but not paid him and then came back asking to use the dog again! (If that isn't true I apologise before I am sued for libel.)

Trevor showed me round his allotment and introduced me to his hounds.....crackers! He used to be on here but I have lost contact with him now. One thing for sure is that he worked his hounds to very good effect.

I think you are mistaken. I kept in touch with the lad that bred Lima, and he only had the one litter from D.K.E.

His name is Bill and he's from Manchester. 

He bought a couple of deer/grey crosses of a lad I know from Bedlington, to breed his own instead of using a stud dog.

Cheers.

10 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I think you are mistaken. I kept in touch with the lad that bred Lima, and he only had the one litter from D.K.E.

His name is Bill and he's from Manchester. 

He bought a couple of deer/grey crosses of a lad I know from Bedlington, to breed his own instead of using a stud dog.

Cheers.

My mistake. Different bloke. The guy Trevor was on about was from the North East. Apologies.

Just now, jukel123 said:

My mistake. Different bloke. The guy Trevor was on about was from the North East. Apologies.

When I went to Manchester to buy the pup, Bill and I found we had many mutual friends from the 60's and 70's Whippet racing, he had originally wanted £250 for the pup, but insisted I only pay £200 for the pick of the litter, then gave me £20 back for luck money.

It didn't seem the actions of a man who would renage on a stud fee. ?

Cheers.

• Like 2
On 01/04/2022 at 16:58, mackem said:

I think Bronson was his stud?I wonder what happened to his dogs, my mate lives on the same estate, I will ask.Used to be quite a few decent deerhound lurchers up there. post-1930-0-32707600-1310759589_thumb.jpg

The deer/grey was the go to cross for hare and roe up here before the saluki hybrids took over.

I remember some of the old Ashington and area dogs like Thor and "The Widdrinton Train", great hare dogs.

My mate had one, Brin, the first dog I saw to genuinely do the "four tricks", ( HJKC ), regularly.

We mated it with a Greyhound and I kept a bitch pup, it looked like it would make the grade, but succumbed to Parvovirus, which was just rearing its ugly head at the time.

Billy Doherty did well with both pure Deerhounds and crosses up here at the time.

Maybe the deerhound types just suited the fells, there's still a few about in the area, but finding the right stuff is getting more and more difficult.

Cheers

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

The deer/grey was the go to cross for hare and roe up here before the saluki hybrids took over.

I remember some of the old Ashington and area dogs like Thor and "The Widdrinton Train", great hare dogs.

My mate had one, Brin, the first dog I saw to genuinely do the "four tricks", ( HJKC ), regularly.

We mated it with a Greyhound and I kept a bitch pup, it looked like it would make the grade, but succumbed to Parvovirus, which was just rearing its ugly head at the time.

Billy Doherty did well with both pure Deerhounds and crosses up here at the time.

Maybe the deerhound types just suited the fells, there's still a few about in the area, but finding the right stuff is getting more and more difficult.

Cheers

Your friend that you acquired your present bitch keeps pure deerhounds. If you don't mind me asking, what lineage do his dogs come from? 

2 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Your friend that you acquired your present bitch keeps pure deerhounds. If you don't mind me asking, what lineage do his dogs come from? 

I've put the pedigree of my pups sire up in this thread .

Cheers.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I've put the pedigree of my pups sire up in this thread .

Cheers.

The breeder of your pup's sire is on here under the name Seavaldhounds. She got the usual THL welcome when she joined.?

11 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Was talking to her last year she had a canny looking deerhound bitch with her, heavy price tag on the pups though

I may be wrong, but I don't think she has any pure Deerhounds now.

I saw her at Wolsingham Show, and she won the lurcher pups with a 3/4 deerhound, 1/8 Greyhound, 1/8 Wheaton.

A really nice looking pup, looked just like a pure deerhound .

I don't know about any pups she has, or what price they were.

Cheers.

13 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think she has any pure Deerhounds now.

I saw her at Wolsingham Show, and she won the lurcher pups with a 3/4 deerhound, 1/8 Greyhound, 1/8 Wheaton.

A really nice looking pup, looked just like a pure deerhound .

I don't know about any pups she has, or what price they were.

Cheers.

Are u sure