Poor old Clem had reached his sell-by date. We were not sure how old he was but his teeth were going and at close to 300lbs his old legs and feet were showing the strain.

20210710_195817.jpg.33421343f2a52e0d2f10f6863c909a80.jpg

The consensus amongst thosr that claimed to know was that he woukd taste like a dead fox and be tough to the point of being inedible. 

Mince or burgers seemed the popular option. I wasn't  so sure and decided that he deserved better treatment.  Especially after talking to a friend with a Ghanaian Sister in Law . Apparently proper superanuated mutton is virtually unobtainable in this country.  So there was one appreciative customer lined-up!

So though parts of Clem were reduced to a "mere" 240 burgers his big legs and shoulders were rendered into a selection of small joints. 

All l can say is l'm glad l didn't  listen to to the self proclaimed expert's. 

Six hours slow roasting with no added fat or fancy preparation,just a covering of foil, produced  what can only be described as amazing!

20210819_200619.jpg.bd02f2e792349f003398f80e029cf432.jpg

Not tough    , not rank tasting ; just a proper meaty texture with a tiny hint of salty spicyness.

Edited by comanche
  • Like 19

23 minutes ago, comanche said:

Poor old Clem had reached his sell-by date. We were not sure how old he was but his teeth were going and at close to 300lbs his old legs and feet were showing the strain.

20210710_195817.jpg.33421343f2a52e0d2f10f6863c909a80.jpg

The consensus amongst thosr that claimed to know was that he woukd taste like a dead fox and be tough to the point of being inedible. 

Mince or burgers seemed the popular option. I wasn't  so sure and decided that he deserved better treatment.  Especially after talking to a friend with a Ghanaian Sister in Law . Apparently proper superanuated mutton is virtually unobtainable in this country.  So there was one appreciative customer lined-up!

So though parts of Clem were reduced to a "mere" 240 burgers his big legs and shoulders were rendered into a selection of small joints. 

All l can say is l'm glad l didn't  listen to to the self proclaimed expert's. 

Six hours slow roasting with no added fat or fancy preparation,just a covering of foil, produced  what can only be described as amazing!

20210819_200619.jpg.bd02f2e792349f003398f80e029cf432.jpg

Not tough    , not rank tasting ; just a proper meaty texture with a tiny hint of salty spicyness.

Soak a couple of the joints over night, in a mint/vinegar marinade, that'd be my first port of call ?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, mushroom said:

Soak a couple of the joints over night, in a mint/vinegar marinade, that'd be my first port of call ?

Why ? There's  nothing wrong with it as it is. Actually ,sorry that sounded a bit rude?.

Marinading in milk or vinegar were among the  various well meant suggestions for tenderizing the meat and  obviously slow cooked stews or curries  . And some of him is already bound for the Caribbean route.

The thing is rather than just take people's word that he would have similar natural texture to the inside of a golf ball ;  l just had to know for myself. 

Hence the lack of preparation and simple cooking and if asked what  old ram meat is like l can now give an opinion from experience. 

Quite looking forward to a ram curry though Mushroom?

Edited by comanche
  • Like 3
23 hours ago, comanche said:

Why ? There's  nothing wrong with it as it is. Actually ,sorry that sounded a bit rude?.

Marinading in milk or vinegar were among the  various well meant suggestions for tenderizing the meat and  obviously slow cooked stews or curries  . And some of him is already bound for the Caribbean route.

The thing is rather than just take people's word that he would have similar natural texture to the inside of a golf ball ;  l just had to know for myself. 

Hence the lack of preparation and simple cooking and if asked what  old ram meat is like l can now give an opinion from experience. 

Quite looking forward to a ram curry though Mushroom?

If I insulted you, I apologise. I only meant try it.

• Like 1
On 20/08/2021 at 10:12, OldPhil said:

Well done, that looks like a meal from the days of the Tudors?

Funny you should say that Phil.  It's  a standing joke that the contents of my freezer would do King John proud

Yet l live in a peasant's hovel?

• Haha 1