What makes a special ferret

Everyone who has been in the game long enough has a favourite ferret or two, like terriers its the one you trust and try when others have not fou d when youve had a mark of a dog or run one in, there are other reasons why there special what are yours 

Mine has to be Frank but I haven't had many ferrets to compare, I've only got seven seasons of ferreting behind me, my mate let me go out with him on his permission to see if I liked it before I commited to buying all my own ferreting equipment, well from the first time I went out, I loved it!!! it just felt like something I was meant to be doing, and loved catching my own tea. So he gave me two Jill ferrets to start me off, I bred Frank from Fidget one of the jills the next year.

Frank grew into a massive hob but was the most gentle ferret, never bit me once or anybody else, my mate took the pee saying that will be too big to ferret with and you don't want to be carrying him around he'll weigh a ton, you need something smaller.  Well Frank turned out to be awesome, he'd often bolt rabbits with him chasing the rabbit above ground wished I'd got it on video, I could always depend on him to tell me if there was something in the warren, seen him pull a rabbit out of the hole. One time he was taking ages down the warren, so we dug to him and he was wrestling with two rabbits! I had to have Frank pts at the start of this year Cancer, I was proper gutted.

Edited by janine
  • Like 5

Had this jill a few years ago now. She was a terrific finder which when your on your own doing thick hedge is great because what ever hole you put her in she got straight to business with no messing about.

This was her last trip out and she struggled and was gone few months later :(

25811619968_7a4e7e0f84_o.jpg.1f88eb655048d16ac840cd6a5a0c06f0.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 8

I have  had a few outstanding  Ferrets over the years  but one sticks out a big Fitchitt gill !  a very fast killer which suited me  at the time , most of what i have had over the years have been good workers  but there was something about this animal  i liked  though if you show a Ferret plenty of Rabbits they get better and better .

SAM_0330_zps0eeb506b.jpg

• Like 5

Generally  from good stock and get plenty  of graft , had a few over the last 43 years of ferreting  ,had 2 brothers  identical  to look at one was brilliant  bolter so I used  him with the hawks  his brother pure killer so used him when out to get the money ,to tell them  apart had to keep cutting  fur  square  on the end of one,s tail , both lived to a ripe old age and sired plenty  of kits

• Like 5

My hob roscoe is the main man not that big bit smaller than a standard Jill he’s a pure ratting machine he’s never seen a live rabbit as there isn’t any good rabbit ferreting around me . He doesn’t eat the rats , if they don’t bolt  he kills them in the hole drags them back out and goes back for more  and I swear he finds the rats like a hound he just lives to work and has a pure hatred for rats he can be abit nippy but never locked he’s just abit wild ? when he’s working with the terrier it’s game over for any rat in the area ?

13F8CFAC-1428-40B2-A74E-56E36B087D9C.jpeg

F388F748-B8F6-4000-81AB-9818631B68CC.jpeg

08D2ECAC-E97A-40D8-9E4E-121B05BA4F36.jpeg

Edited by green dragon
  • Like 10

Few years ago now but I bought a very ugly albino hob from a feed store because I felt sorry for him, not something I usually do. He was dirty and starving but I got him back to health and he turned into a once in a lifetime animal. He would never bite despite his poor start and was like having a very obedient terrier. He would clear a warren and get back in his box. If working blackberries you just pointed him at the area and off he'd go and return after flushing the rabbits to the whippets. He ended up getting a cancer near his eye and the vet cut it out but it came back worse so I had to shoot my mate Grim, he was around 9 to 10. Not too proud to say I shed a few tears over this and know I'll never have another like him. 

• Like 3

I usually do a fair bit of ferreting off adverts so i reckon a special ferret is just a plain grafter you can take to different jobs big 500 hole burrows to three holes  deep sandy warrens that go off the box too almost rock burrows and they just do there job 4/5 days a week pushing rabbits out 

• Like 1
On 21/07/2021 at 22:42, janine said:

Mine has to be Frank but I haven't had many ferrets to compare, I've only got seven seasons of ferreting behind me, my mate let me go out with him on his permission to see if I liked it before I commited to buying all my own ferreting equipment, well from the first time I went out, I loved it!!! it just felt like something I was meant to be doing, and loved catching my own tea. So he gave me two Jill ferrets to start me off, I bred Frank from Fidget one of the jills the next year.

Frank grew into a massive hob but was the most gentle ferret, never bit me once or anybody else, my mate took the pee saying that will be too big to ferret with and you don't want to be carrying him around he'll weigh a ton, you need something smaller.  Well Frank turned out to be awesome, he'd often bolt rabbits with him chasing the rabbit above ground wished I'd got it on video, I could always depend on him to tell me if there was something in the warren, seen him pull a rabbit out of the hole. One time he was taking ages down the warren, so we dug to him and he was wrestling with two rabbits! I had to have Frank pts at the start of this year Cancer, I was proper gutted.

I had a big hob called "big nose " he was as gentle as a kitten and my all time favourite ferret and a great worker.he wouldn't leave anything behind and I used to work him in large wood piles ,had some great times with him and me old whippet x .some no good c..t  got in me garden and released all me ferrets and I never did find him ,I did get two jills and a hob that was out of him back but he not as good as his dad ,I was heart broken to loose him . I got a old jill who nearly 11 that put a lot of coney in the nets and she's been a great jill over the yrs ,she's the last of a line I've hade for 20 yr  .be another sad day when she goes  

• Sad 1