What can a terrier catch?

1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

If I’m honest about the one on the lamp, it was too busy looking over its shoulder laughing at the deerhound x it didn’t see the Russel bitch that T boned it from left field like a raptor out of Jurassic park ? 

definitely they've all went soft since there's no natural predators around 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over here, snakes.

If I’m honest about the one on the lamp, it was too busy looking over its shoulder laughing at the deerhound x it didn’t see the Russel bitch that T boned it from left field like a raptor out of Juras

Fleas !.

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

I new a fella who lamped rabbits in local  horse paddocks with a leggy type terriers and both took them so if these russel types did the job dont see why other types wouldn't take coney on the beam , terriers do well in cover and can take good bags if numbers are there and make good ferreting companions as well ,its not all about long runs they just got to give no law and strike like a adder and most terriers do . Like been said terrier types can take all sorts and thrive on work .

its not something I'll everr do regular but i'd love to give my lass a go at it when she's older 

6 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

We were beating once across September stubbles , my mates patterdale bitch put up a hare and coursed it around  the stubble for a good few minutes eventually catching it , we couldnt believe it neither could the waiting guns. 

I bet yah every mush came out the wood work il match yah 6 out of 6

My old plummer bitch caught rats,rabbits a few hares ,squirrels,partridges and pheasants and a drunk on crab apples roe buck during her life,oh and a stoat..The roe buck was lying down under a crab apple tree and didn't even get to stand up before the plummer grabbed it and the other two russells joined in,i had it dealt with before the dumb ass lurcher who'd run past it could turn round and also join in..When i gutted it it was busting with crab apples so i recon it was pissed on them as it didn't move to fast but was healthy enough inside and out when i emptied it...

• Like 3

ive had terriers nearly 40 years just for on top bushing for lurchers/ always used them as marking dogs/ i have owned and seen ones catch plenty of rabbits in cover over the years. Cant recall any putting a rabbit up on open ground and catching one.Caught plenty pheasant odd ducks a few hares nabbed in their seats. Squirrels and rats and the odd stoat Had some good days with terriers on moorland with rabbits clapped under the heather.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Have seen various terriers catch roe deer in the day and also seen one catch a roe on the lamp. All pre ban, the one on the lamp identified as a day time roe so it’s ok. 

I’ve witnessed a terrier with a fallow buck!! It went chasing after a load which went crashing into a woods.. when he didn’t return we found him with a throat hole on the deer!! I can only assume it ran into a tree trunk and it killed itself or knocked it self out.