High mileage motors

Before I joined the railway 20+ years ago I was a courier I used to regularly put 200,000 miles on Honda CX500 motorcycles but the highest miles I ever put in a vehicle was a Citroen C15 van looks like a noddy van I bought it brand new on a P plate and kept it 4 years in that time I put a staggering 362,000 miles on it clutch used to go at about 150,000 but I changed the oil every 6000 which was every 3 weeks I was doing serious travels back in those days in all weathers roughly 90,000 a year. 

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 1.9tdi VW engine will run forever .

My brothers 4.2 landcruiser Amazon has 400,000 miles on , it’s used most days , starts before you finish turning the key , tows a three ton digger on a one and a half ton plant trailer up stupidly ste

When father died mother sold his Volvo 244 to a local milkman (1979), that car was last year to be still running on nearly 400K. Depends how they've been driven/serviced/repaired. We've just put

Posted Images

My brothers 4.2 landcruiser Amazon has 400,000 miles on , it’s used most days , starts before you finish turning the key , tows a three ton digger on a one and a half ton plant trailer up stupidly steep hills without a puff of smoke ..there’s not much built today that will out live an old landcruiser ..

• Like 6
22 hours ago, WILF said:

I can’t afford to think about brand new motors anymore these days but even when it didn’t matter I wouldn’t have bought a brand new van.

Something chain driven, good nic, decent make, few bills round it and enough room in the price for a proper mechanic to go right through it properly and that’s where I’m at.

Mileage on anything German don’t really scare me.

I'm getting visions of a hirsute gilf roaming the bog calling Vilf Vilf Vilf I'm home vhere are you my Vilf 

?‍♂️

Edited by low plains drifter
bargain basement Christmas cracker bottom teeth
  • Haha 3
16 minutes ago, sussex said:

My brothers 4.2 landcruiser Amazon has 400,000 miles on , it’s used most days , starts before you finish turning the key , tows a three ton digger on a one and a half ton plant trailer up stupidly steep hills without a puff of smoke ..there’s not much built today that will out live an old landcruiser ..

I’ve got a 3 litre Land Cruiser that I absolutely love owning and driving it thinks nothing of a 500 mile plus journey brilliant motors, a good mate of mine who owns a Auto repair business owns the 4.2 Amazon as well and he swears by it. 

1 hour ago, FLATTOP said:

I’ve got a 3 litre Land Cruiser that I absolutely love owning and driving it thinks nothing of a 500 mile plus journey brilliant motors, a good mate of mine who owns a Auto repair business owns the 4.2 Amazon as well and he swears by it. 

I’ve just bought one , one owner ,low mileage ,  full Toyota history , it’s been in storage for the last five years and done just 80miles backwards and forwards to the testing station and servicing ..absolute minter .

There was an 95 , 3 diff lock , manual 80series just sold in the states with a thousand miles on the clock from new for $134000 …

1C2909AF-2B97-49D0-94BA-6161930304F2.jpeg.e07e1303049078640ed47f1fa7aaa092.jpeg

edited to add my brother quite likes them , mines the silver one , the other four are his ..?

• Like 2
22 hours ago, dytkos said:

When father died mother sold his Volvo 244 to a local milkman (1979), that car was last year to be still running on nearly 400K.

Depends how they've been driven/serviced/repaired. We've just put 160k miles on a Peugeot Partner van, 32 months, it's fooked.

Cheers, D.

I bought a Volvo 244 auto estate from an auction for £130 including commission. It had 250k on the clock, but the tyres were Michelin and all the hoses and cables were new and branded Volvo so I reckoned it had been looked after. I sold it three years later for a small profit with 400k on it. In between it had taken four of us with all our sea fishing tackle and 200lb of home made leads to Dingle three times. There wasn't a trace of oil in the tail pipe and other than consumables all it needd was a rocker gasket.

My last van was a Berlingo (Partner) 1.9d, ex Forestery Commission. Tin worm got to it at 18 years old with 230k miles on it. The engine and running gear was good for another 100k.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, sussex said:

I’ve just bought one , one owner ,low mileage ,  full Toyota history , it’s been in storage for the last five years and done just 80miles backwards and forwards to the testing station and servicing ..absolute minter .

There was an 95 , 3 diff lock , manual 80series just sold in the states with a thousand miles on the clock from new for $134000 …

1C2909AF-2B97-49D0-94BA-6161930304F2.jpeg.e07e1303049078640ed47f1fa7aaa092.jpeg

edited to add my brother quite likes them , mines the silver one , the other four are his ..?

You won’t regret buying it at all they are great motors what I like about mine is I can do a massive road trip no problems but when I get out during the season it will not let me down, I’ve  just bought x4 maxxis wormdrive ATs so looking forward to a bit of mud even though last year I ditched it with average tyres and it still just climbed out with no dramas whatsoever, like you say as well they don’t lose money. 

6 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

Before I joined the railway 20+ years ago I was a courier I used to regularly put 200,000 miles on Honda CX500 motorcycles but the highest miles I ever put in a vehicle was a Citroen C15 van looks like a noddy van I bought it brand new on a P plate and kept it 4 years in that time I put a staggering 362,000 miles on it clutch used to go at about 150,000 but I changed the oil every 6000 which was every 3 weeks I was doing serious travels back in those days in all weathers roughly 90,000 a year. 

There are some C15 vans on sale out here with 600k kilometres on the clock and they still ask over two grand for them. They didn't cost that new ?

I've currently got an ex-Gendarmerie Berlingo. 13 years old with one previous owner  - the police. Main dealer serviced all its life and it is 4WD with higher ground clearance and bigger wheels. I haven't got stuck on the muddy lanes when out fishing.   

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

There are some C15 vans on sale out here with 600k kilometres on the clock and they still ask over two grand for them. They didn't cost that new ?

I've currently got an ex-Gendarmerie Berlingo. 13 years old with one previous owner  - the police. Main dealer serviced all its life and it is 4WD with higher ground clearance and bigger wheels. I haven't got stuck on the muddy lanes when out fishing.   

C15s were a remarkable van if I’m not mistaken the engine was the Peugeot XUD19 diesel loads of cabbies over here used to run them. 

• Like 2
On 08/07/2021 at 22:06, Chid said:

The 1.9tdi VW engine will run forever .

My bro works in a scrap yard n had a 1.9 tdi octavia come in with 450k on clock he sed it still drove fine just had a bump to the rear , my 1.9 fabia made 240k then the gear box gave up engine was sweet as 

7 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

Them cx500 take some killing , you seen the price of them now tho !!

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

Them cx500 take some killing , you seen the price of them now tho !!

Silly money I must have owned over 10/15 they were unbreakable if I owned them now I would be very wealthy, if you do a bit of research you will see they started life as a boat engine Honda at its finest. 

• Like 1