Ventilating A Room?

Looking at the likes of @NEWKID here.

I have two, conjoined rooms. Big one and a small one. Big one was a 'barn'. They just poured a concrete slab down as a floor. Thick as shit. But it's still damp in there.

Little room, I had floored. Membrane down and concrete top. Damp

This isn't a damp I feel in the walls though. It's the air. Books and wood get white spot in there, in pretty short order.

I'm no builder. But, I figure, as the only ventilation in there is a small fireplace? Where can the air go?! So, I'm thinking about putting holes in the door out. Top and bottom. Grilled vents.

Reckon that'll do any good? I simply can't afford electricity. Dehumidifiers or Bar Heaters are out.

Thanks.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop boiling up 50kg batches of chicken peas ! 

Lose the HID lamps and swap to LED's...invest in some quality extractor fans and filters ?

Get 2 air bricks put in at either side of the exterier wall so air can circulate in and out mate im sure that will sort it

2 hours ago, big napper said:

Get 2 air bricks put in at either side of the exterier wall so air can circulate in and out mate im sure that will sort it

Knaps, air bricks aren't an option. Trust me on this. That's why I'm thinking the chimney feeding into, and the air vents in the door, letting it out, should do the same thing?

I thought to myself, today: That chimney lets air, from the outside In. ... Then what? Air can't suck up and down. So, it'll just sit in there. Surely?

Doesn't take Einstein to figure out it needs an escape route. Can't use air bricks. So, use the door.

I've actually done exactly that with the door on This room. CO alarm's shut the fukk up since.

Knaps, air bricks aren't an option. Trust me on this. That's why I'm thinking the chimney feeding into, and the air vents in the door, letting it out, should do the same thing, 

Yes mate, that should do it aswell like you say as long as theres air flow it should do the job eventually  

• Like 1

There is a system that works purely on convection with no electricity required. Basically there is a vent through the wall that leads to a large radiator type thingy, double walled so when the sun hits it it warms up the air causing it to rise and escape through a vent in the top. That causes a through draft inside the room as long as there is  a vent to allow fresh air in. The  convection thingy needs to be on a south facing wall.  Alternatively, fit a solar panel to power a small DC ventilator.

I'm afraid there's Nothing going through these walls, Pix. Just not happening.

And, what ever I do has to be on a shoe string. Like; I have the tools to put a couple of holes through a door. The money to pay for even quite nice vent covers, to go over them. But, that's about it.

Just to chew some fat; It's funny. I have a fukk off big kitchen, okay? One chimney. Two doors. One vented.

This room adjoins it. One chimney. Door now vented to the kitchen. Room's okay.

Other side of the kitchen? Small 'bedroom'. Now my tool / work room. Door unvented. But, chimney and vents into the roof. That room is Arid!

Rooms I'm talking about? Absolutely fukking Murder! One chimney. No other ventilation. Walls seem fine. But the Air must be shit. Because anything paper or wood I put in there gets white mould on it.

See? Only defining difference I can see is that the air, in those rooms, with the adjoining door wide open between them, comes down the chimney. Then is stuck.

Figuring some nice, brass vent covers should fit in 8)

22 minutes ago, socks said:

I recently used a decent dehumidifier in a house and over four hours it took 8 litres of water out of just one room. 

Ever put a Humidifier and a Dehumidifier in a room, sat back and watched the fight?