Ventilating A Room?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop boiling up 50kg batches of chicken peas ! 

Lose the HID lamps and swap to LED's...invest in some quality extractor fans and filters ?

Get 2 air bricks put in at either side of the exterier wall so air can circulate in and out mate im sure that will sort it

No point, Gnips. Never been used. Never will be used. Obviously open at the chimney pot, because things come down there and end up in the room.

I've had a cage put on it now, to stop the guest appearances. But, it's my ventilation shaft for that area. Venting the door should allow that air to suck out. Hopefully, solving my problem.

• Like 1

No rain ever comes down it, Arry. I wouldn't know why. Just doesn't. Shit's dry as a bone in there.

Now you've made me think about it? The chimney pot of that room and the ones for my kitchen and tool room (Which are back to back on the same stack, sharing the one pot) are only about, I dunno, twenty foot apart?

No. I always surmised it must be that damn floor. The big one? Lack of damp proof membrane has always been my guess. (Like I say; I know fukk all what so ever about building!)

Strange though. The other rooms here are the same. One chimney. One door. Floors are concrete and older. Fukking anomaly. Got to sort it out. Because I'm looking at having some fukker living in there, eventually.

Lack of air flow is a f****r mate, 

Loads of good advice on here, but without seeing it hard to advise properly..

De humidifiers are great, but not a long term fix, it don't solve the problem at source obviously...

Maybe sweep the chimney to make sure air can flow, then find a way to make through air...a vent in the wall etc..

23 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Lack of air flow is a f****r mate

That's exactly what I'm figuring. It's really the only Logical answer.

I'm neither a Builder, nor completely fukking stupid. And, I've had Years of up front and personal experience with 'This Room' ~ as we'd might as well call it.

Chimney flue's absolutely open as a wizards sleeve. I've had about Everything , short of father fukking christmas come down there. To the point where I've had to board it up ~ with vented panels in the block. But still they come!

Can we all just agree that, from now on, all my posts will be read in the voice of  Richard Burton CBE. And, when I get excited, that of Justin Hayward ?

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

No point, Gnips. Never been used. Never will be used. Obviously open at the chimney pot, because things come down there and end up in the room.

I've had a cage put on it now, to stop the guest appearances. But, it's my ventilation shaft for that area. Venting the door should allow that air to suck out. Hopefully, solving my problem.

That's what gnipper is saying, it won't suck air out and help airflow if it isn't drawing. Light some paper and hold at the bottom, if it's not pulling it upwards then it won't add to your air flow. If it's not drawing then you need to look at why or putting vents in ain't going to get air flowing. Think you can get different cowls to help draw air up. 

9 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Light some paper and hold at the bottom ...

Okay. Look; I'm about into my 'Get pissed and fukk the world' mode, about now.

But, fair do's; I begrudgingly went in there. Pulled shit out of the way. And lit a paper towel and held it close to the plastic vent I have over the (White spot moulded) fireplace cover.

Hmm. Couldn't exactly swear All the smoke was sucked up the flue like some, on here, would suck. (You Know who you are!)

I concede. Tomorrow, all things being equal, I'll get my beloved 'Yankee' out and rip those screws out. Light a paper right inside the flue, and see what happens.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Birds nest stopping the airflow?

No, mate. I'm trying not to get drawn into long discussions about shit here. Just trust me that there are no birds up there.

As above; Only thing that bothers me is the thought of a side way access to the roof. More can ~ and has ~ goes up and down there than just fresh air.

8 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

No, mate. I'm trying not to get drawn into long discussions about shit here. Just trust me that there are no birds up there.

As above; Only thing that bothers me is the thought of a side way access to the roof. More can ~ and has ~ goes up and down there than just fresh air.

I feel there is something your not telling us about this chimney. What the fck did you find up there? ?