Patterdale x whippet

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reckon he could teach most pure whippets a thing or two. First x whippet Russell. Probably not as fast as a straight whippet but hardy, clever and brave. I wish I could have him back at that age aga

Russell X 3/4 grey 1/4 collie. This lad done way, way more than I ever expected. 22" ? Cheers, D.    

its a funny subject isn't it ....this hole thing of a dog opening up....yapping... as lurcher lads we are so programed to hate and detest opening up....its to point where most lads would never ad

Posted Images

11 hours ago, fred90 said:

why bother, what do they do what a good working whippet can't do better?. that's how these threads always seem to end up. 

That's true to an extent and the cross is neither one or the other. For around rocky creeks, scrub and ferreting these spots I think the type would come into it's own and be a fun cross to work, but they will lack pace so work them with the whippets.

Edited by Aussie Whip
4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

That's true to an extent and the cross is neither one or the other. For around rocky creeks, scrub and ferreting these spots I think the type would come into it's own and be a fun cross to work, but they will lack pace so work them with the whippets.

I think it would depend how they throw, the one I have could catch or at least put in a good show of trying to catch all bar one uk lurcher quarry. Physically he was just a small lurcher but as with any first x there are no guarantees of that, they could come out cloddy or short

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tyla said:

I think it would depend how they throw, the one I have could catch or at least put in a good show of trying to catch all bar one uk lurcher quarry. Physically he was just a small lurcher but as with any first x there are no guarantees of that, they could come out cloddy or short

I remember seeing your old dog a while back on here, one reason I'm interested in getting a litter. I think I'd go for a leggy pup but they can change a lot when growing so maybe a gamble.

This thought was put in my head a few months ago, when chatting to a mate about what to put over my cocker/bull bitch. I've always thought terrier for a general knock about busher/ratter and was telling him my thoughts on what terrier i'd use.

Now this bloke is a digging man but was looking at me with a puzzled look. So i asked him what type he'd use and he just replied, a whippet..!

The jury's still out.... ?

50 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

This thought was put in my head a few months ago, when chatting to a mate about what to put over my cocker/bull bitch. I've always thought terrier for a general knock about busher/ratter and was telling him my thoughts on what terrier i'd use.

Now this bloke is a digging man but was looking at me with a puzzled look. So i asked him what type he'd use and he just replied, a whippet..!

The jury's still out.... ?

That would be what I would do I think

9 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Why would they yap? 

Genuine question. 

Some whippets tend to yap.. I’ve seen it first hand.. and terriers can be pretty vocal to surely the two together would increase that happening ???? Just my opinion cross would have it’s uses like others 

1 hour ago, LamperNM said:

Plenty of vocal ones about too and whippets that open up on a chase ?

I've never thought of one type being more likely to open up than any other. 

I've seen more lurchers with greyhound than whippet in them open up be it pitbull collie or bitza lurcher. 

The very odd dog will open up for no reason, most times it's caused by bad entering. 

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I've never thought of one type being more likely to open up than any other. 

I've seen more lurchers with greyhound than whippet in them open up be it pitbull collie or bitza lurcher. 

The very odd dog will open up for no reason, most times it's caused by bad entering. 

Just my opinion I’ve seen them do it.. yapping out of frustration and they weren’t entered bad either or to young ?? 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, LamperNM said:

Just my opinion I’ve seen them do it.. yapping out of frustration and they weren’t entered bad either or to young ?? 

I'll be truthful I don't know much about whippets or their crosses but I have one here as a family pet and I've had it lamping a few times along with its sister and they've been mute as is both their parents while working. 

• Like 2