Starting from scratch

5 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

How do you no it was romani folk that duped the dog ,I ask because every rescue lurcher owner i have talked to says the gypsies dumped it ,I'm a traveler and my people would never dump a dog ,they might pass one on but not dump a juckel ,and [BANNED TEXT] folk say this and that I'm talking about decent English romani who take great pride in there juckels and animals ,plenty of dogs dumped by lots of folk because they didn't make the grade but why do you say it was gypsies .don't get me wrong good and bad in every breed and no doubt some let the side down but not all rescues was gypsy dogs 

Lads do dump dogs mate some lads leave 4 and 5 on land at time not always travellers alot a traveller really do know how to turn a dog out some best dog men in country travellers ?

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not surprising some new members don't stay long! Ignore the piss taking Fernylass and just read some of the posts on here, it's like an initiation ceremony with new members. Enjoy your dog,

My advice would be 2 challenge mc hull 2 a match  If u won I'd be delighted ☺

How do you no it was romani folk that duped the dog ,I ask because every rescue lurcher owner i have talked to says the gypsies dumped it ,I'm a traveler and my people would never dump a dog ,they mig

Posted Images

Fernylass it should kill bunny's no bother mate just enjoy the dog mate ?

Dont take to heart lads on here pal they ok really Most on here like you mate anyway vegetarian but only  because  they catch f**k all lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
6 hours ago, mC HULL said:

? win some lose some mate got honest dogs there be lads can beat me mate ? 

No one making do have a chance though lol  need to be someone been round dogs and not trying to get best out a shite lol

I knew u were gonna say that 

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, shaaark said:

Quite right.  @Fernylass, excuse my childish behaviour earlier.  After reading your post in new members, I just wondered why you are a vegetarian.  No malice intended.  ?

Ffs shark what do you want to do force feed her..

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, dytkos said:

It's not surprising some new members don't stay long!

Ignore the piss taking Fernylass and just read some of the posts on here, it's like an initiation ceremony with new members. Enjoy your dog, and don't be put off by some of the comments. Good luck for the future with him.

Cheers, D.

I would never put anyone down for posting on here and always willing on giving advice and I don't give two hoots if folk work a lurcher or not it just pees me off when rescue owners say dumped by travelers , I wish her all the best with her dog and at least she's looking at trying to work it and yes they some on here who put others down but thats why lot of the good lads no longer post on here 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Fernylass said:

Hi, introduced myself and my sal x lad under new members bit but wanted to come down here too and say hi. 

I've got a 4 yo ex rabbiting and coursing dog, was let stray by travellers and has a couple of old injuries which I've been working with to help him get fitness back. He's taken a year to be decently handlable, not terrified, adaptable to new situations, and I've been building the bond every day. He's got a fairly solid recall, still needs his fitness building (saluki x, still needs muscle work) so I'm taking him out on the bike every day and starting to stockbreak properly - not good around sheep and I'm not taking that risk. 

Think he needs some hunting work again, don't want him to be miserable away from that life so a friend's offered to take us out with him rabbiting. Don't know what my lad'll be like - any tips/training commands to help him get his old rabbiting days back?

Just going to take things slowly and see how he gets on. 

Screenshot_20210525-104138.png

Screenshot_20210525-111355.png

Looks a nice type ,I think someone probably lost the dog while lamping etc. If it belonged to travelling folk I think they would have passed the dog on for coin rather than dump him if he not make the grade .

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

Sounds like you're headed the right way if working on recall and stock breaking. If possible also break to ferrets because that's probably the best way to get the dog working with you. Have to get the stock breaking solid because being a saluki he will end up chasing something into the next county and if not trustworthy with sheep and far away from his handler....

100% mate , forget anything else , get the prat  100% sheep , even dogs who been ok, with sheep , can flip there lid, and kill'um more so if they took bigger quarry than rabbits . i always commend anybody who takes a mature dog on, fair play, but me self i like bring a pup on get this stocking done proper . hope your dog comes on ok for you , and few ferreted rabbits for it to catch, will kick start its prey drive  , best of luck . 

• Like 3
On 25/05/2021 at 11:20, Fernylass said:

Hi, introduced myself and my sal x lad under new members bit but wanted to come down here too and say hi. 

I've got a 4 yo ex rabbiting and coursing dog, was let stray by travellers and has a couple of old injuries which I've been working with to help him get fitness back. He's taken a year to be decently handlable, not terrified, adaptable to new situations, and I've been building the bond every day. He's got a fairly solid recall, still needs his fitness building (saluki x, still needs muscle work) so I'm taking him out on the bike every day and starting to stockbreak properly - not good around sheep and I'm not taking that risk. 

Think he needs some hunting work again, don't want him to be miserable away from that life so a friend's offered to take us out with him rabbiting. Don't know what my lad'll be like - any tips/training commands to help him get his old rabbiting days back?

Just going to take things slowly and see how he gets on. 

Screenshot_20210525-104138.png

Screenshot_20210525-111355.png

23 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

How do you no it was romani folk that duped the dog ,I ask because every rescue lurcher owner i have talked to says the gypsies dumped it ,I'm a traveler and my people would never dump a dog ,they might pass one on but not dump a juckel ,and [BANNED TEXT] folk say this and that I'm talking about decent English romani who take great pride in there juckels and animals ,plenty of dogs dumped by lots of folk because they didn't make the grade but why do you say it was gypsies .don't get me wrong good and bad in every breed and no doubt some let the side down but not all rescues was gypsy dogs 

To be fair mate, she didn't say 'romani folk', she said 'travellers'.  ?

8 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I would never put anyone down for posting on here and always willing on giving advice and I don't give two hoots if folk work a lurcher or not it just pees me off when rescue owners say dumped by travelers , I wish her all the best with her dog and at least she's looking at trying to work it and yes they some on here who put others down but thats why lot of the good lads no longer post on here 

Yeah, can see that and I shouldn't have said 'travellers' even if I was just repeating what the rescue said with no malice. There might have been judgement from the rescue so I shouldn't have even taken the risk of saying it tbh.

I'm gauging whether I might have been offensive by replacing another race in there. If someone said to me 'my cat came from white people who let her stray' I'd 100% feel as pissed off as you do now because why say the race? Sorry again mate and I'll watch how I say things in future ? Cheers for explaining. 

2 hours ago, bird said:

100% mate , forget anything else , get the prat  100% sheep , even dogs who been ok, with sheep , can flip there lid, and kill'um more so if they took bigger quarry than rabbits . i always commend anybody who takes a mature dog on, fair play, but me self i like bring a pup on get this stocking done proper . hope your dog comes on ok for you , and few ferreted rabbits for it to catch, will kick start its prey drive  , best of luck . 

Thanks. Think I'll have my work cut out with his breeding being as it is! But so want to try more for him to enjoy himself chasing than anything. Lure might end up being the way to go though as suggested above. 

20 hours ago, Saltmoon said:

Instead of taking the dog out rabbiting have you looked into getting your own lure machine there have been afew threads one recently and the guy found a lure machine for a decent price. Just an idea as if the dog has old injurys its likely to get knocked up abit more yet but that comes with working lurchers part and parcel just an idea if the lamping dosnt take off to well ? all the best with the dog 

Definitely want to look into it more now - it'd give him the enjoyment without so much risk. Cheers! 

• Like 2