Starting from scratch

On 25/05/2021 at 16:11, Kalibrgun said:

100% not a rabbiting dog just let him chase a rag thats all thats legal that he might catch 

Can you tell me why? Here to learn so no snark intended. Fitness? Build? Cross? Would like to know more as don't want to put him through something if he can't take it. Guessing it's because he's heavy on the saluki?

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not surprising some new members don't stay long! Ignore the piss taking Fernylass and just read some of the posts on here, it's like an initiation ceremony with new members. Enjoy your dog,

My advice would be 2 challenge mc hull 2 a match  If u won I'd be delighted ☺

How do you no it was romani folk that duped the dog ,I ask because every rescue lurcher owner i have talked to says the gypsies dumped it ,I'm a traveler and my people would never dump a dog ,they mig

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Fernylass said:

Definitely want to look into it more now - it'd give him the enjoyment without so much risk. Cheers! 

Could be the way to go, especially if you don't intend eating what he might catch?  Anyway, he certainly is a nice looking dog, you've got him looking decent enough already.  ?

• Like 1
On 25/05/2021 at 17:35, Moocher71 said:

How do you no it was romani folk that duped the dog ,I ask because every rescue lurcher owner i have talked to says the gypsies dumped it ,I'm a traveler and my people would never dump a dog ,they might pass one on but not dump a juckel ,and [BANNED TEXT] folk say this and that I'm talking about decent English romani who take great pride in there juckels and animals ,plenty of dogs dumped by lots of folk because they didn't make the grade but why do you say it was gypsies .don't get me wrong good and bad in every breed and no doubt some let the side down but not all rescues was gypsy dogs 

Sorry if I caused offence  - he was let go from a 'traveller's site' after he was injured is what the rescue told me so just repeating that. No judgement here at all of a whole ethnicity or way of life, just wanted to know if that background might help to understand his commands or the way he might have worked. Obvs know commands likely to be different for everyone, though if there are common commands that people tend to use when out they'd be useful to learn. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Could be the way to go, especially if you don't intend eating what he might catch?  Anyway, he certainly is a nice looking dog, you've got him looking decent enough already.  ?

Definitely start like that I think anyway, give me more of a taste of what he might be like out in the field. I suspect pretty much uncontrollable by me as he is now ? Got a lot to learn - the stubborn sensitivity is a f****er to work with! 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Fernylass said:

Definitely want to look into it more now - it'd give him the enjoyment without so much risk. Cheers! 

The chance is alot lower but something moving as quick as these types of dogs there is always a chance of getting knocked up but if it's just the enjoyment thing you are looking for then it may be the way to go dont need to go looking for permission to go on any land then nor run this risk of being caught somewhere your not ment to be ??

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Saltmoon said:

The chance is alot lower but something moving as quick as these types of dogs there is always a chance of getting knocked up but if it's just the enjoyment thing you are looking for then it may be the way to go dont need to go looking for permission to go on any land then nor run this risk of being caught somewhere your not ment to be ??

Yeah that makes sense. Would go out with a friend whose got a few permissions so that side is sorted but I'm just very cautious about his prey drive taking over his common sense, running over roads etc. Need to get his recall and dead-stop way stronger before he goes out. 

10 minutes ago, shaaark said:

His dinner would be some of it but I'd post what's left on giving up the game so someone else can have rabbit pie lol ?

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Fernylass said:

Yeah that makes sense. Would go out with a friend whose got a few permissions so that side is sorted but I'm just very cautious about his prey drive taking over his common sense, running over roads etc. Need to get his recall and dead-stop way stronger before he goes out. 

If the dog is on quarry and it wants it enough he will ignore recall and give everything to make his catch. Weather that is barb wire in the way. A road. Or a wood. Every time there running is a chance it’s the last. 

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Also I'm sure there are lure coursing clubs around maybe check your local area 

Been to Askern with him a couple of times for a fun lure race. This was his first. Head up and slow ? courser spotting the turns... 

Screenshot_20210526-194356.png

1 minute ago, Gypsydog94 said:

If the dog is on quarry and it wants it enough he will ignore recall and give everything to make his catch. Weather that is barb wire in the way. A road. Or a wood. Every time there running is a chance it’s the last. 

That's my worry. Seen it in action with him already too. How do you square that risk with the love you've got for your dog? Deep question but it's that I'm struggling with a bit, it's why I haven't taken him out yet. Maybe I don't want it enough!!! 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Fernylass said:

That's my worry. Seen it in action with him already too. How do you square that risk with the love you've got for your dog? Deep question but it's that I'm struggling with a bit, it's why I haven't taken him out yet. Maybe I don't want it enough!!! 

The way I look at it is my dogs the happiest whilst doing what she was bred for if she has a accident. And the worse happens she was having the time of her life. If I died young I would hope I would at be doing something I was enjoying 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Fernylass said:

Plenty of people with running dogs don't want the hassle and risk involved with actually working them.  And as has already been said, some types/crosses can be really driven, and will pay no heed to any possible danger.

The fact that you're actually seen him in action, and are expressing some of these possible worries/concerns etc, looks pretty good to me.  I'm sure you'll be ok with him.  ?

8 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

The way I look at it is my dogs the happiest whilst doing what she was bred for if she has a accident. And the worse happens she was having the time of her life. If I died young I would hope I would at be doing something I was enjoying 

Cheers that makes sense. My lad is ridiculously happy when chasing (about 20 rabbits, by accident, on the Isle of Arran, in a gorse thicket just off a beach where they all had their burrows ??

2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Plenty of people with running dogs don't want the hassle and risk involved with actually working them.  And as has already been said, some types/crosses can be really driven, and will pay no heed to any possible danger.

The fact that you're actually seen him in action, and are expressing some of these possible worries/concerns etc, looks pretty good to me.  I'm sure you'll be ok with him.  ?

Yeah, true, makes me want to work extra hard with him to mitigate the issues and if I can't, he can chase in safer circumstances! 2

• Like 1