Excessive panting

Anybody ever had a dog that is constantly panting when out? He is a young dog in good condition and is out plenty. but is always blowing out his arse for nothing, I know it is fairly warm just now but does it even on really cool days. I don’t know if it’s just because he is that wound up all the time or what but hopefully settles down a bit this season when starts getting some proper work 

11 hours ago, Jude said:

Anybody ever had a dog that is constantly panting when out? He is a young dog in good condition and is out plenty. but is always blowing out his arse for nothing, I know it is fairly warm just now but does it even on really cool days. I don’t know if it’s just because he is that wound up all the time or what but hopefully settles down a bit this season when starts getting some proper work 

I had a terrier like that.

she was no good for out of season pest control.

I had her treated for lung worm but I think it’s just how she was.

ATB Tony

• Like 1
17 hours ago, jcm said:

From experience its normaly black smooth coated dogs don't seem to handle the warm tempratures, tend to pant alot more than others i have seen.

Same experience, touch their coat if it's sunny, even if only about 15C and it's obvious they soak the heat ?. Assuming they are fit and no veterinary reason There's also sometimes panting in excitement / anticipation. 

• Like 1
On 22/05/2021 at 20:09, Allan P said:

A bit of heat can make a dog look out of shape. Especially if heavy build and heavy coat type. 

spot on  Allan,  both my 1xs   have good coats, and good skin, bryn my 1x collie x grey  got good coat, few people seen him run on here , he get 30 rabbits in night , he blow a bit , but always pack up with bit left in the tank. Buck my big 1x gsd x grey , put many long hard night in the lamp  40 odd runs , rabbits, and few other things  lol , his best bag rabbits was 38, which i think was brill for 28in 88 lb dog , he wasn't bred for rabbits , but he try to catch whats in front of him  day/night. now he blow heavy, but give him a couple mins rest , and he ready to go again , do this all night long. he coat quite thick , he picked up good coat from the gsd, not as thick, but deff good coat and good skin. if get another lurcher in the future ,  i poss go for maybe a beddy x grey x pit x grey ,  2nd gen  try to get maybe the  coat if poss, as all my pit x greys ive had before had crap coats, collie norm give good coat  as well , maybe one with drop of pit in , just few things ive thought about .

• Like 1

Mine got a quite a thick coat but not long haired, think a lot of it is just being worked up/anticipation when out. Hopefully when start road work and  getting him runs he will settle down a bit 

On 22/05/2021 at 18:21, Jude said:

Try taking his duffle coat off him.  ?