Whippet x greys

7 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Normal fields and escape routes, same as greyhound coursing.

Haven't a clue on times.

Dont forget, this like greyhound, coursing under rules, is meant to test dog against dog, not dog against hare. 

Cheers.

they grew out the 3 from what i have seen hold on longest and are sharp as any ?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best I’ve owned and seen in the field, bred out of a black working greyhound bitch in Cheshire to Dave Sleights whippet Brindle Sam. Had a pup gifted to me over 12 months back out of her but gave

Its good to hear some Whippet chat...?  These diminutive speedsters were the first dogs that I encountered when we moved from our Holding in rural Wales, to the deep Sarf...? It seemed as though

?Hey, there are dozens of lads who have walked out with me (some of them are on this site) and I'll put good money on the fact that to a man they will ALL say the same thing..."He is a funny old c**t

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I think you're the type of bloke who would love the experience of hunting with like minded people in a different environment.......but I could be wrong, of course ! ? !

Cheers.

?it would have to be winter there and id still need factor 50 ?

57 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

I think the Irish hares run just as fast and as long as the brown hares Do I think ur talking about the blue hare witch is smaller again I think it all so called the alphine hare there is no blue hares over here as far as I know 

The Irish hare is same subspecies as the blue hare they don't run anything near the brown hare not as fast or for as long 

I had a dog out of bigland boy and a pedigree whippet bitch come 24tts and 47lb. Was a good dog to kill a fox, handy dog around a whole and had a bit more stamina then the racing ones I think from the pedigree whippet. Would of loved to of put him to a half x Wheaton or bull but sadly he had a low sperm count and only got 1 litter from him and a saluki x after that was blanks. This was him 

post-23418-1239982133.jpg

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, fenman1# said:

Looks like a nice strong dog chart how was it bred mate? Do they do much fox hunting with lurchers over there? 

It was all fox hunting with running dogs when I've been there, mate. 

In Victoria there was a $10 bounty on foxes.

That particular dog, Milo, was bred from stag hounds with a bit of whippet. 

Met his end when he made the step up from fox to boar.

Cheers.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Kalibrgun said:

The Irish hare is same subspecies as the blue hare they don't run anything near the brown hare not as fast or for as long 

Yes the Irish hare is a subspecies of the mountain hare but only found in Ireland and we do have a small population of brown hare over here but.not too many not knocking you have u ever hunted the Irish hare over here trust me they can run mate 

4 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

Yes the Irish hare is a subspecies of the mountain hare but only found in Ireland and we do have a small population of brown hare over here but.not too many not knocking you have u ever hunted the Irish hare over here trust me they can run mate 

I've ran em bud and had a coupl of lads come over from Ireland put a few days coursing on the browns then had a day on the blue hares and they said themselves they're the same running. The Irish hare only difference is it doesn't change to white through winter to do with altitude it's as though it's bred out of them to do it 

• Thanks 1

Right we our getting away from the subject of whippet greyhounds what about training these we dogs how do use lads think of these wee dog ability to train iam training two at.the moment if if I find out how to send videos of them il let use boys have a laugh 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

Right we our getting away from the subject of whippet greyhounds what about training these we dogs how do use lads think of these wee dog ability to train iam training two at.the moment if if I find out how to send videos of them il let use boys have a laugh 

We've an old non ped Whippet bitch here blue bridle she'll be 20" tts back when she was young shed knock the odd hare over in a morning I used to take her coursing with the purpose bred dogs for us to have a laugh with. In the lamp she would regularly do 2 s 3s and odd 4 shed pull foxes but lacked the strength she hated roe with a vengeance but learnt to hit their front leg and bowl them over. Tried lining her but never took would of been nice to get a saluki type over her 

Edited by Kalibrgun
  • Like 1
52 minutes ago, bird said:

true that, ive never had a daytime hare dog as such , the best i had was 25 in bitch, she say 90 % greyhound the rest collie whippet , she caught few in the day, but like you say she try catch quick snapping at  it then over running them till she was fooked. but idid have little racing none ped whippet bitch 20 in 20 lb , she get up to them quick , but burn out quick if she didnt catch, but down the track in cannock  west mids  a bloke thee had  2 brothers 23in 32 lb   that catch daytime hares , and kill foxes in the lamp, these type we had , had greyhound in them , and Stafford bull terriers  in there make up, tough little  fast dogs with great agility and strong for there size. i dont think they race them now in the west mids , pity as it was great crack , i know few race them up north , but not sure about west mids  anybody know  ?

i dont no if theres many clubs still mate gone the way pigeons etc shame

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

i dont no if theres many clubs still mate gone the way pigeons etc shame

Old boy at the end of out street has transit with all the boxes in he goes all over the country picking birds up and letting an go for lads. When I had ferrets I was forever getting bag fulls of birds that weren't the grade. Same fella gave nearly 5k for a bird he was showing us it one day and slid the loft door right over it ... Ferrets enjoyed it all the same he was boiling most expensive dinner a ferrets had lol. We used to wind him up swapping his birds about from one loft to another once had a load of fantails given we went down one night boxed all his birds from one loft and put the fan tails in for when he woke up ? he knew where to come lol 

6 minutes ago, Kalibrgun said:

Old boy at the end of out street has transit with all the boxes in he goes all over the country picking birds up and letting an go for lads. When I had ferrets I was forever getting bag fulls of birds that weren't the grade. Same fella gave nearly 5k for a bird he was showing us it one day and slid the loft door right over it ... Ferrets enjoyed it all the same he was boiling most expensive dinner a ferrets had lol. We used to wind him up swapping his birds about from one loft to another once had a load of fantails given we went down one night boxed all his birds from one loft and put the fan tails in for when he woke up ? he knew where to come lol 

?me uncles gr dad all had pigeons used to love talking to all the old boys about the birds pub be heaving with men and baskets lol any back late usually for table with them??

• Like 1

Its good to hear some Whippet chat...?

These diminutive speedsters were the first dogs that I encountered when we moved from our Holding in rural Wales, to the deep Sarf...? It seemed as though everyone had a whippet or a whippet hybrid...I soon got myself a pair and used them extensively.. We would walk where we liked and hunt what we liked. 

Pheasants, rabbit, Hares, were the staple quarry and these wonderful little dogs filled the game bag on a daily basis.

Nowadays,..life is cool,.I am totally chilled and I have exceptionally modest demands, from a working lurcher.. However, I have never forgotten my early days with the fleet-footed rag hounds and accordingly, I have included the blood of the Working Whippet within my own, home-bred rabbiters. 

I think there is a place for all types of running dog composites,..but the whippet is a personal favourite and for me, it always will be.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 15
2 hours ago, Rudeboy 1 said:

I'm a Welsh true grit Valley boy  born and bred went to school there boxed there and bred there.im a devote of the genuinely bred whippet xgreyhound longdog / hybrid have been for literally dozens andaof years 30 odd to be precise I'm not like certain beatles who swap a d change their running dogs like no tomorrow a sad state of affairs. I'm in the process of preparing for a 2nd bloodline of whippet x greyhounds longdogs probably the best ever field dogs one could ever imagine. Having said that they are no ultimates or worldbeaters nevertheless they are intelligent, lightning quick,agile,keen,good honest workers that provide the real thrills and spills both in the coursing and lamping field yours in sport my true friends  carl Williams South Wales.

if the crack your smoking is as good as your long dogs can i have some please

• Haha 2