• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welllp figured y'all my enjoy one if my wall hangers. Pretty sure is a Victor sure grip  

Fenn 'Loop' Mole Traps Here you go, Katch. I got the box down again. Couple of angles for you to get the best idea. Four different Types. It's all in the trigger design, see? Wire loop thing, on

This is the last Rabbit i caught in a Sawyer ! it was in my neighbours  back garden under a shed , i put a sequence of  pictures showing how they worked then the Internet  trap Police pounced . A stup

Posted Images

:icon_eek: Fukking Hell!!! What a crying bloody shame we've lost it then!

'Fox trap' then. Possibly made for otters. Though 'proper' otter traps usually have a square frame beneath the jaws (I honestly don't know why! I saw one in a photo, above, as it happens)

What particularly catches me eye about this one though? The round plate, for one thing. That's seldom enough seen on traps from this side of the Atlantic. North American traps have those. But, the 'Dog' / catch isn't septic style.

Also, the continuation of those nasty little teeth? The way they go past the corners of the jaws? That, again, hints of otter.

Dunno. It's a conundrum alright. Chewy one. If I remember rightly ~ and there's absolutely No guarantee of that now! I Think the old, under framed Otter traps usually had (rather surprisingly) smooth jaws. I wonder why?

Now, that one, having such tiny teeth, and those little reach arounds? See how it all, somehow, hints of otter? Plenty of otters in Ireland.

But, here's the thing: If otter traps were usually stabilised ~ as I'd guess that was the purpose of the under frame? I wonder why that one wasn't. But, much, much more; I wonder why the hell anyone deliberately drilled holes in that plate?

That, obviously, suggests tying a bait to it. And so I've talked myself in a full circle! Because That suggests a bloody Fox trap again! :D

Isn't this Great?! See how much mileage one can get out of one rusty old relic? I'll probably still be pondering this bugger at bed time.

The saddest part, of course, is that the men who could have answered all these compelling questions are fast dying out.

Forty odd years ago, it was my Great privilege to have known an old chap who had actually Lived it! He'd been a Gamekeeper back before the war and gin traps (and other things!) were his every day tools.

He didn't get it from books. He'd bloody well Done it. And he knew how and why. Now? We're pretty much left to guess :( Dreadful, isn't it?

But, hey ho! It's all part of the absolute fascination of Collecting Old Traps ;)

Steak? I've just reviewed the pictures. Twenty quid?! BUY THAT FUKKING TRAP!!!!! :icon_eek:

I think it Can be cleaned up to at least reasonable. And, frankly? It's just plain fascinating the shit out of me!

If you ever become a Trap Collector? I couldn't live with myself for being the one responsible for you letting this enigma slip through ye hands.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Steak? I've just reviewed the pictures. Twenty quid?! BUY THAT FUKKING TRAP!!!!! :icon_eek:

I think it Can be cleaned up to at least reasonable. And, frankly? It's just plain fascinating the shit out of me!

If you ever become a Trap Collector? I couldn't live with myself for being the one responsible for you letting this enigma slip through ye hands.

I might just do that KD.

so it’s fox or otter trap then ?

Just now, Steak knife said:

I might just do that KD.

so it’s fox or otter trap then ?

DO IT! I'll send ye the fukkin score myself, if I have to!

Fox or otter? Fukked if I fukking know, mate! This is what's so fascinating! This one, rusty piece of shit is genuinely forcing me to question Generations of Trapping / Trap Collecting knowledge! :boogy:

It's fukking Brilliant how stimulating this is! Over half a century of hard on for gin traps? Now, you lash up those snaps and I'm questioning an entire, huge, chunk of accepted doctrine! :D

• Haha 1

See?! Three inch jaws. Hacksaw teeth. Teeth going past the corners? That seems normal with a rat trap, as I said above.

But, what the Fukk is that massive. Pit Bull holding Chain all about?!?

Looks authentic and original. But, WTF was anyone supposed to have been thinking when they put that shit together?

Think about that for a minute. Come back to me on it.

Now? I'm drinking beer. I'm fielding questions in more than one forum. I'm ~ frankly? ~ fukked and want to relax! Back tomorrow ;)

@Stockpot See? That bigger trap ye showing doesn't even have " Hacksaw " teeth!

Sorry. Past my best now. Too tired and need to rest from all this.

If we were all sitting in a room? I could just flick my finger, like fukking Mengele.

As it is? Reading. Considering. And tapping out a Thought Out reply to every nuance? (I Typed NUANCE, FFS! What is this; General Talk?!?) It's fukking hard work ?

Don't get me wrong. I love it! It's just like Grand kids. I have to hand them back and have a rest occasionally! :D

:D " Aahll Bee Bach!!! ", as 'Arnie' says at the end of a terrible joke! ?

Been passing papers, elsewhere. Got some bloody fantastic input to share. We now have More answers to the blank spots the latter part of this conversation has thrown up :)

Forgive me, lads. I'm working all day, now the weather's allowing it. Even nipping in here to read and respond to trappy posts, across the net.

I even got the inside track on a trap I'd practically worshipped. Finally got my hands on. Then lost all faith in.

Now? I've been let in on the truth. Fukk Me!!! Right back on the alter!!!  I'm even considering making a little video to demonstrate This bad mo fo! ?

• 2 weeks later...

Got my eye on those two Fenn's myself :) Just about to go feed everything now. But, I could look them up, later?

Any way you look at it; Right there's a lovely example of how the man kept thinking. Always striving to improve on what ever he'd come up with last.

1 hour ago, Ratmanwan3 said:

Do you know anything about the trap in the last pic comanche?  I have the same but with bigger jaws. Not sure if they are french made ?

It is possible ; l pinched it from my brother who used to go to France and come back with van loads of stuff to sell at antique fairs .

Apparently there was a market for French rust and woodworm in this country ?

Edited by comanche