The " Black Cats " thread is unravelling in all directions now. But, I got caught up in it. It made me think. " W.Katchum ", eg.  clearly hasn't got a clue about 'Historical Traps'. That's just fukking sad.

But, he's Asking. That's stirring the juices! :D And, what I think is that we could probably do with a more dedicated thread. This one.

I'm not sure what @OldTrapCollector is up to these days. But, I recall I have one or two types of 'Rat Traps' stashed away here that, clearly, some people on here likely haven't even heard of?

The absolute Bitch is that todays ever more sanitised and 'Cancelling' society is just smothering So Much of our history. And I reckon the kunts are winning :(

I reckon I probably still have a book here, by a bloke called Carnegie. Written, around the late 1800's? He mentions how He, as a much younger lad, found " Old Traps " interesting. He accrued a little collection, begging from 'Older' people he knew.

And he'd sit and wonder at them :)

How lovely's that? He'd just spread his little collection of 'antique'  traps out, on the floor, in front of him. And he'd just take immense and sincere pleasure in them.

I'll leave it there. If you were in this room with me, right now? I could talk about old traps till one or the other of us fell asleep, some time after sun rise.

• Like 2

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welllp figured y'all my enjoy one if my wall hangers. Pretty sure is a Victor sure grip  

Fenn 'Loop' Mole Traps Here you go, Katch. I got the box down again. Couple of angles for you to get the best idea. Four different Types. It's all in the trigger design, see? Wire loop thing, on

This is the last Rabbit i caught in a Sawyer ! it was in my neighbours  back garden under a shed , i put a sequence of  pictures showing how they worked then the Internet  trap Police pounced . A stup

Posted Images

Watch this space! ?

Though, I do wonder; What I may show 'you' might be - forgive the expression, but - 'Pearls before swine' ?

There's just So Much that goes into a real appreciation of old traps. And that appreciation, historically, seems to come in waves.

The interest is on the ebb, at the moment. Crushed like a hairs breadth right of a far left view, on 'social media'. But, this is probably what keeps the Serious business going.

And, in my time, I've been about as serious  as fukking cancer.

Well, I spent the whole morning, dragging out, brushing off and photographing some old traps, only to realise I already had some shown elsewhere.

Then, I decided, as I have some on show there? I'd might as well add these too. So I have.

It's a place I put together to remember my era of Pest Control. No need to Register or anything. Just wander in and look around. The traps you'll find on the " Equipment " board. Under 'Traps', amazingly.

Want to say, or ask, anything? Just come back here and do it. That site's not a Forum. More a Gallery / Library. There's one open board, down the bottom somewhere. People can comment there. No one does though. Doesn't matter.

My apologise for the Sawyer Vermin Trap shot, by the way. Shakey focus. Gives me fukking eye strain just looking at it! I'll reshoot and replace it, one day. Just not today. I've been so busy, I just can't be arsed to drag down that box and do it all again right now.

Here's the site: Clicky.

• Thanks 1

Eliza Tinsley are 'just' ironmongery manufacturers. Still going strong. Producing barbed wire and gate latches.

I think I recall correctly that that particular rat trap appears in one (or more ~ they repeat a lot of stuff, obviously) of the S. Young and Sons catalogues I present on there.

For the 'Marriage' trap? Best you can do there is go the the Patents Office (On Line, of course) Look up the original patent. Only, that's about as near as you'll ever come.

There's no other 'public' mention of the trap that I've ever come across. No books mention it. Ridiculously rare trap. I really only threw it in because of that.

But, yes, the patent exists. I finally found it. Might have to jiggle the bloody names a bit though? I can't be a thousand per cent sure I spelled " Wawne and Wannacott " exactly right. Weird enough names.

Oh! The 'snare' on that one, I put it on there myself. Just to illustrate that it's actually supposed to be there in the first place. It's not even a functioning snare. Just a crimped loop of wire.

'OTC' told me he'd heard of a bigger version than my one. Think he might of said they did a fox sized one? (Don't quote me on that. Memory's shot, these days)

I'd hate to have to play with a bigger one! Power in those springs is fukking terrific! So easy to have a very nasty accident with my one. One big enough for a fox? Be an absolute fukking liability! :icon_eek:

Talking of Mole traps ...! It never even occurred to me! Damn!

Okay; Next time I get a head of steam up to lift and shift big, heavy boxes of fukking traps about? I'll dig out my Fenn Mole traps. Show you - and who ever - them.

Probably just stitch them on here though. Some funny looking things, as I recall. I never actually used any of them as I only got them for my collection, long after they'd ceased production.

Eddie; I've never heard of a particular Trap Museum. But, I'll tell you what though? Back a bit, when I could still remember what fukking day it was, I was watching a TV, in the pub.

Programme came on and it happened to feature some tiny little back water 'museum' somewhere or other in Ireland. Probably little more than a small room, full of nick nacks. Owned by some bloke.

But, the craic is; The camera just happened to pass across a trap! Probably the only one in the place. And quite likely only there because someone donated it. I doubt they even had a clue what it was.

fukking did though! And I almost swallowed my tongue! You see, I was a walking encyclopaedia of old traps, back then. And this one was in factory condition. Looked like they'd treated it with stove black? Looked fukking gorgeous!

Pretty sure the name of it - which no one mentioned. I just knew it because I Really knew my shit, back then - pretty sure it began with an S. Can't for the life of me remember it now.

But, yeah; By absolute pure chance, I was looking at one of the rarest traps in the fukking world!!!

14 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Eddie; I've never heard of a particular Trap Museum. But, I'll tell you what though? Back a bit, when I could still remember what fukking day it was, I was watching a TV, in the pub.

Programme came on and it happened to feature some tiny little back water 'museum' somewhere or other in Ireland. Probably little more than a small room, full of nick nacks. Owned by some bloke.

But, the craic is; The camera just happened to pass across a trap! Probably the only one in the place. And quite likely only there because someone donated it. I doubt they even had a clue what it was.

fukking did though! And I almost swallowed my tongue! You see, I was a walking encyclopaedia of old traps, back then. And this one was in factory condition. Looked like they'd treated it with stove black? Looked fukking gorgeous!

Pretty sure the name of it - which no one mentioned. I just knew it because I Really knew my shit, back then - pretty sure it began with an S. Can't for the life of me remember it now.

But, yeah; By absolute pure chance, I was looking at one of the rarest traps in the fukking world!!!

Brilliant story that. I suppose I would have went down the whole road of collecting old traps, but they are hard come by over here, and in recent years the idea of importing traps is o say the least, dodgy.

Phil, I was thinking, earlier; Fenn produced, I'm told, a flat topped 'Duffus' type trap. Sadly, I never handled one myself. But, I have a few of his others and he does seem to have liked flat tops.

Got me wondering; What does the Duffus round top actually bring to the table? ? Can't help thinking I'd be more inclined to go with a flat.

Katch, is it not FlatPack who do them? I'm only really guessing, because of the name. Not sure if anyone ever mentioned if the traps are actually flat or not.

I don't think they are Fenn's, because I was pretty certain they'd shut up shop some time ago now?

Come to that? If they'd still been producing them while I was actively collecting? I'd have just sent for one.

• Like 1

That looks very much like what I have here. I saw it (Them) today. Only at a glance though as I was looking for other things and just sort of flipped the mole traps aside as I dug about.

But, yes; They were called Loop Traps. I think I have two or three types. The flat topped  Duffus style was another thing again though. But, now you can see why he would have made those flat too.

He liked them that way and I find it hard to argue with his line of thinking, frankly.

Bit fukking cheaky, that seller calling them " Fenn Traps ".

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ken's Deputy said:

That looks very much like what I have here. I saw it (Them) today. Only at a glance though as I was looking for other things and just sort of flipped the mole traps aside as I dug about.

But, yes; They were called Loop Traps. I think I have two or three types. The flat topped  Duffus style was another thing again though. But, now you can see why he would have made those flat too.

He liked them that way and I find it hard to argue with his line of thinking, frankly.

Bit fukking cheaky, that seller calling them " Fenn Traps ".

Didn't Fenn also make a little scissor - style mole trap with square jaws?

May even have some deep in the shed  . 

Interesting thread "Ken".??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, comanche said:

Didn't Fenn also make a little scissor - style mole trap with square jaws?

That's right!!! Fukk me, yeah! I'd forgotten all about them! Pretty bloody sure I've got one in the box too!

Forgive me, lads. I know this might be getting a bit frustrating, me constantly mentioning what I have in these bloody boxes. You're probably wishing I'd just do a Michael Miles?

Fact is though, these are Big boxes. They're piled up to head height. Full of fukking steel. And I've just this minute eaten my dinner. I don't want to get indigestion And a bad back just now.

We'll start afresh tomorrow. I'll drag the fukking things down again and have another little photo shoot atop my washing machine ;)

• Thanks 1