A Way out of Walsall - D. Brian Plummer (1985)

I enjoyed his writings ,and to be honest I wasn't bothered then and I'm not bothered now wether they were 100% fact or not ,they entertained and interested me at a time when it was hard to find anything hunting related worth reading ,but to be fair to people it's not just an internet thing ,he had his critics way back ,they just didn't have a platform .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree with that mate and though he failed to keep me out of jail he gave me something to read while I was there ?

On reading the original post , my first instinct was to poke a bit of fun or mock any notion of his boxing prowess. Anyone who steps in the ring and gets paid is a “professional “ . The fair used to t

I enjoyed his writings ,and to be honest I wasn't bothered then and I'm not bothered now wether they were 100% fact or not ,they entertained and interested me at a time when it was hard to find anythi

Posted Images

Ernest hemingway was one of the first writers about bulls and bullfighting. He inspired tens of thousands with tales of adventure, travel and taurine subjects. Yet today, buy any book on bullfighting by a modern aficionado and there will be a chapter calling hemingway a cnut, a fraud, a bully and a lier. Its like they have to prove their own knowledge by dissecting his. They Google a certain bullfighter and pick points of knowledge apart with their researched history. Does their point scoring make them more respected? 

So many tales of how much of a cnut plummer was. "A friend of a friend knew somebody who saw his dogs being kept in poor condition". Is it really necessary? 

Try writing a book yourself? It's fcking difficult. I've had a fairly interesting life but trying to get it to sound interesting on paper is fckin hard, especially when I know any stories will be cross referenced online with every cnut who knows me ?

Plummers books only ever encouraged people, I never read anything he wrote that encouraged bad practice. I've read books by well known terrier men that could lead people down the wrong path. Talk of culling failed dogs etc....thats all well and good if you dig 4 days a week but to your average young man now trying to live up to it who might only find 6 to ground a year its not really positive advice. 

I've been hunting with a relative of plummer, though I didn't speak to him about Brian I have often thought about how he must have to read absolutely disgusting abuse of him on these sites by people who didn't know him, spend time with him and probably can't even write an interesting post on here about there own sport. 

Go on, if you really want to slag plummer off then make a commitment to write a post on here about a days sport that we might enjoy, that might inspire a young un or entertain us of a wet evening!?!? 

Im not even defending him as a person. It's just sad when we have no decent working dog or countrysports magazines anymore and any writers are just bitched about. If those who bitched just decided to give something better back then perhaps they would be criticising from a better position 

• Like 6

He may have told tall tales and he may have been an aloof eccentric but he had me enthralled as a youngster alright. 

When most of my mates were playing video games I was reading The Diary of a Hunter that my uncle nicked from the library, great memories. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, baker boy said:

What so because I dont want to write a fckn book I cant have an opinion, fck is it with people, I dont want to write a fckn book I want to work dogs and talk to people with the same genuine interests as me, So I dont give a fck for dreamers liars grasses and pricks.

Fair do's, crack on lad. 

You out tomorrow pal? 

15 minutes ago, Astanley said:

to be fair to people it's not just an internet thing ,he had his critics way back ,they just didn't have a platform .

Good friend of mine probably new Plummer better than he even knew me, Stan. He sat in my living room and told me shit, face to face, about the fukker that made my hair stand on end.

We all, now, know that Robert De Niro is one of the biggest kunts ever to have walked the face of the earth. He's a fukking Deplorable kunt, in so many ways!

Does that latterly acquired insight now make " Taxi Driver " and " The Deer Hunter " garbage films that we walked out on when we first saw them? I'm sure people 'without a platform' back then, knowing De Niro personally, thought He was a kunt.

Only, to this day, De Niro gets this disconnect. He's still considered a brilliant actor. De Niro the Actor? Brilliant! De Niro the person? Kunt.

Plummer the Author? Kunt! Because, Plummer the person; Kunt. Ipso facto? Anyone, 'mug enough to have been taken in by his writings' must be a kunt!

Err ..... No. I don't hold with that either ?

13 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Go on, if you really want to slag plummer off then make a commitment to write a post on here about a days sport that we might enjoy, that might inspire a young un or entertain us of a wet evening!?!?

Nailed it!

As above; 'Plummer was a kunt. His books, therefore, Must have been kuntish. If you admit to Ever having liked them? More kunt you!'

Ask them to show they're less kuntish writers than Plummer, by writing Anything that could even carry his bags? Mind your eyes because a flying dummy could have one out! ?

5 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

He may have told tall tales and he may have been an aloof eccentric but he had me enthralled as a youngster alright.

So; What's Your take on all this, Grebster? Why is it that people seem to want the guy " Cancelled ", as it's now called?

Even woman survivors of Auschwitz are on record as admitting they thought Mengele drop dead fukking gorgeous.

Are we actually now witnessing the social evolution of a shift in the ability of critical thought?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, sid g said:

he wrote a decent story book at a time when fook all else was about for hunting lads and he tapped into a market problem was his books were full of bullshit lies and bad advice ... 

Many of his books weren't really a guide to hunting, he was just portraying his supposed escapades. 

From what I recall his advice on dog training was sound? 

I'm not sure I understand your reply to me Ken ,whatever I hear about him (and i have  no reason to doubt some of it ) it doesn't change my opinion of him as an author ,I was just pointing out that criticism of him isn't a new internet thing ,people haven't just appeared out of cyber space and started calling him a kunt in retrospect ,there were plenty of them doing it at the time ,

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

From what I recall his advice on dog training was sound? 

Must say; I found " Modern Ferreting " almost un fukking readable - from the 'practical manual' aspect.

But, then; I honestly don't think I have Ever, in my entire fukking Life, purported that Plummer knew shit about what he actually wrote about.

In my view? He was a bloody good observer and had a fantastic knack for spinning what ever he saw ~ or heard ~ into a great yarn. If he chose to weave strands of his imaginary self in there? So what?

Ahh! Is That it?! Are there people, today, who Believed In the Plumm? Took on board the bollocks he spouted about that " Start Of A Dynasty " thing, and all that? Read the book. Got the dog ..... Oh, Fukk Me!!!!! It all adds up now!

No Wonder the opprobrium!!!  ?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Astanley said:

I'm not sure I understand your reply to me Ken ,whatever I hear about him (and i have  no reason to doubt some of it ) it doesn't change my opinion of him as an author ,I was just pointing out that criticism of him isn't a new internet thing ,people haven't just appeared out of cyber space and started calling him a kunt in retrospect ,there were plenty of them doing it at the time ,

Sorry, Stan. Obviously, what I said was lost in translation, mate. Because, I was Trying to say pretty much Exactly what you just said there! ;)

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

His books the fell terrier, lurchers, long  dogs an sight hounds, an the sporting terrier I think it was are probably responsible for keeping me out a jail, or a coffin tbh. 

iv met a few famous fieldpsports authors in me day an I doubt Plummer was any worse than what’s about these days ?

So you are saying that Brian plummer saved your life....

9 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Good friend of mine probably new Plummer better than he even knew me, Stan. He sat in my living room and told me shit, face to face, about the fukker that made my hair stand on end.

We all, now, know that Robert De Niro is one of the biggest kunts ever to have walked the face of the earth. He's a fukking Deplorable kunt, in so many ways!

Does that latterly acquired insight now make " Taxi Driver " and " The Deer Hunter " garbage films that we walked out on when we first saw them? I'm sure people 'without a platform' back then, knowing De Niro personally, thought He was a kunt.

Only, to this day, De Niro gets this disconnect. He's still considered a brilliant actor. De Niro the Actor? Brilliant! De Niro the person? Kunt.

Plummer the Author? Kunt! Because, Plummer the person; Kunt. Ipso facto? Anyone, 'mug enough to have been taken in by his writings' must be a kunt!

Err ..... No. I don't hold with that either ?

Nailed it!

As above; 'Plummer was a kunt. His books, therefore, Must have been kuntish. If you admit to Ever having liked them? More kunt you!'

Ask them to show they're less kuntish writers than Plummer, by writing Anything that could even carry his bags? Mind your eyes because a flying dummy could have one out! ?

So; What's Your take on all this, Grebster? Why is it that people seem to want the guy " Cancelled ", as it's now called?

Even woman survivors of Auschwitz are on record as admitting they thought Mengele drop dead fukking gorgeous.

Are we actually now witnessing the social evolution of a shift in the ability of critical thought?

As with a lot of things, it’s the fact he actually fooled us all for a while that makes people mad, no one likes to be fooled and no one likes to admit they were fooled, so it turns to anger ?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

No not just him but he played a big part in keeping me keen, growing up in a big city reading his books gave me summat to do an kept the interest in field sports alive inside me, my family were into it but as a lad in a poor’ish family the adults were far too busy to have us follow them everywhere like a lot us do. Plummer wasn’t the only one  i read anything I could get my hands on when not chasing anything that moved ? 

when I was following the older lads hunting( some who use this site) or down library or book shop, a lot my pals were out following other older lads theiving, taking a an selling drugs. I bet I wasn’t Only council estate kid reading him at every chance ?

Agree with that mate and though he failed to keep me out of jail he gave me something to read while I was there ?

• Haha 7