Whomp.. whomp.. whomp..

12 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I worked for Lockheed Aircraft in Saudi in the 70's on the C130 program, also on th G.E. & NavAids program.

The Hercules has been a great work horse for many years and is still going strong.

Mind you, I liked it as the "Puff the Majic Dragon" version in the Vietnam war. That would strike fear into anyone !

Cheers.

They still have the C130 gun ships for close air support. I think they have seen a lot of use in Afghanistan due to their long loiter times. Maybe someone with experience can comment? I think that was one of the criticisms of the harriers in that role, they only had something like 20 minutes of actual time above the battlefield before they were running low of fuel.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You might have noticed I’m a bit of a nerd. So walking the dogs this glorious afternoon when this happened I was pretty well made up. My attention was drawn by the sound to the chinook coming str

Down the local army camp today ??Nmp 

I’ve flown in pretty much all the military helicopters but there’s something special about hedge hoping in a chinook in NI or coming in hot into a landing zone In the desert arse first with tail gate

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Steel three two Charlie , this is gunslinger inbound in figures 2 

74F85311-3195-4E49-BA57-55B648BEF75C.jpeg

The most notorious plane in the CAS/ground attack role. And they were thinking of retiring them for the F-35.....

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Steel three two Charlie , this is gunslinger inbound in figures 2 

74F85311-3195-4E49-BA57-55B648BEF75C.jpeg

Hello zero this is gunslinger 1 permission to smoke over ........

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dytkos said:

My ex wife's uncle used to live in Harmston Lincolnshire and he worked in Saudi. We used to stay in his cottage when we went coursing and it was right under the flight path of the Vulcans from RAF Waddington.

This was at the one of the Falklands war.

Could almost see the colour of the pilots eyes when they went over. Awesome.

Cheers, D.

That documentary about the bombing raid in Port Stanley is amazing it makes you proud to be British if you haven’t watched it, it’s a must see.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Interesting topic. Without geeking out too much... does anyone else use these tracker Apps??

Had one some years now since kids were young and used guess with them where the planes were heading when we were sat out bbqing and what not.

Obviously not everything in the air is visible on there but there does seem to be a lot of the RAF planes showing this last year or so. Jest flicked it on now and it's pretty quiet out there it seems.. bar this Hercules..

176195440_Screenshot_20210308-214300_PlaneFinder.jpg.733d53a1ab4bb618c5f500ee1b57b3bc.jpg1093195803_Screenshot_20210308-214337_PlaneFinder.jpg.b082e03f565fbcd671d1e13e3a69dce3.jpg

I believe you can set alerts up.. but I've never got that far with it...lol..

I mostly use adsbexchange, not bad shows mil stuff where some dont

• Like 1
6 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

That documentary about the bombing raid in Port Stanley is amazing it makes you proud to be British if you haven’t watched it, it’s a must see.

Got some pics somewhere of its last flight , sad to see it sat out on the tarmac at donny airport 

27 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Got some pics somewhere of its last flight , sad to see it sat out on the tarmac at donny airport 

We’ve got XL426 at Southend Airport it was out on the tarmac but it’s now in a hangar there is a restoration trust that do a great job when it does the taxi run you can see they are itching to take off.

AVROVULCAN.COM

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Interesting topic. Without geeking out too much... does anyone else use these tracker Apps??

Had one some years now since kids were young and used guess with them where the planes were heading when we were sat out bbqing and what not.

Obviously not everything in the air is visible on there but there does seem to be a lot of the RAF planes showing this last year or so. Jest flicked it on now and it's pretty quiet out there it seems.. bar this Hercules..

176195440_Screenshot_20210308-214300_PlaneFinder.jpg.733d53a1ab4bb618c5f500ee1b57b3bc.jpg1093195803_Screenshot_20210308-214337_PlaneFinder.jpg.b082e03f565fbcd671d1e13e3a69dce3.jpg

I believe you can set alerts up.. but I've never got that far with it...lol..

I don't really do these apps but if you look now, over Yorkshire/North sea, you'll see five falcon 20 doing mock attacks for a pair of Hawks to practice intercepts. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2021 at 19:53, Born Hunter said:

This is my favourite. 

Similarly

In another life...

Stiffmeister sent me a video the other year when he was deployed on disaster relief in the Caribbean after the big hurricane came through and levelled the gaff.

He was sat on the open back ramp of a chinook as it flew across the island and he was filming it on his phone, pretty cool actually.

Im surprised the idiot never fell out ! 

• Like 1
On 09/03/2021 at 12:54, FLATTOP said:

We’ve got XL426 at Southend Airport it was out on the tarmac but it’s now in a hangar there is a restoration trust that do a great job when it does the taxi run you can see they are itching to take off.

AVROVULCAN.COM

They are some beasts them vulcans. I had a poster of one on my bedroom wall as a kid, until I discovered tits. 

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, sid g said:

had them in n out to the new Defence establishment (the DMRC)  last 2 days 

They might have been going there tbh, dunno. Funnily enough I’ve driven past there the past three days.

I’ve since found out who it was. Just a local lad putting on a show for family.

16 hours ago, WILF said:

Stiffmeister sent me a video the other year when he was deployed on disaster relief in the Caribbean after the big hurricane came through and levelled the gaff.

He was sat on the open back ramp of a chinook as it flew across the island and he was filming it on his phone, pretty cool actually.

Im surprised the idiot never fell out ! 

He posted photos of it iirc.

• Like 1