Any Idea what this is ?

Turning over a bit of ground today in the garden. Thought it was a coin at first or a button bt no hole and its seems to be made of stone. Nearest thing I found of the net is Red Indian gaming discoidal's.

IMG_2988.JPG.ecb00b64419d79c711d32c271791d83d.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG.75b1aa0652e221d23648384f225c878e.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some Amber i found and cleaned up, has some mozzies in it also. 

Elizabeth 1st. My favourite find 

Four grams is exactly twenty carats. The ancients weighed things in carats, (the carob seed was of a very uniform weight so was used for weighing, the name morphing into "carat", as used for weig

Posted Images

Closest thing I can find is this.

There are also of this type, one of very hard black stone (not identified) from Red River county, Texas, three-fourths of an inch in diameter; one of barite from Bartow county, Georgia, one inch in diameter, three-fourths inch thick; and one of granite, from Chester county, South Carolina, an inch in diameter. There are also one of quartzite from Drew county, Arkansas, with a shallow pit on each side; one of the same material from southeastern Tennessee, with a deep pit gouged in smaller side; and from the same locality, three of quartzite, one of quartz, and one of sandstone, each with a deep pit in the larger side. All of these are small and none of them polished.

fig_104.jpg

Fig. 104.—Discoidal stone.

But the one I have is even smaller and has a flat area in the middle on both sides.

IMG_2998.JPG.2efe6d4380f492dbaf7aeab3b37f4a1b.JPG

Cheers Arry

8 hours ago, Gav said:

A gaming piece? Did they play backgammon then? They certainly did use gaming dies and pieces back to neolithic 

Well the Red Indians used to use gaming pieces of similar shape but a bit bigger. Looks like it's been in the ground a long time all the little scratches when magnified. I'm thinking along the lines of Stone Age.

Cheers Arry

1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:
FINDS.ORG.UK

A list of all contacts who work for the Portable Antiquities Scheme

Contact the finds liason officer in your area and send em a pic 

Brilliant mate thank you.

Actually thinking on the lines now of maybe a Roman gaming piece.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2