Two pups?

I'll start by declaring myself a novice, self-taught but I don't know much.

Planning for the future my youngest dog is now four and I would like to get a new pup when he hits five or six, so I've always got something to run in its prime.

Presently in the house I have three dogs, two small kids and one unreasonable wife.

The new pup will have to be housed in the garden (new luxury kennels to be built). I've got some wooden kennels already, but when I tried putting my younger dog out there he howled so much he managed to get past my wife and now lives on the sofa in the kitchen.

I was pondering if getting two pups might be a better option, so they have each other for company in the new kennel.

What can wrong with taking on two pups from same litter (I'd take two dogs- no bitch)? Or would a single pup be fine living outside when there's three in the house?

Before anyone suggests it, I've grown quite fond of the wife over the years and I need someone to look after the kids.

• Haha 5

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No one would suggest pts the wife mate and I.know it's easy 2 get attached 2 them ,it's almost impossible 2 pet home even a half decent wife these days and no body wants a good honest wife being passe

In my experience, you won’t train 2 pups as well as one .. plus it takes more work to find for 2, plus In 7/8 years time you’ll have 2 old retired dogs in the kennel and not one. Getting a second dog,

I'll start by declaring myself a novice, self-taught but I don't know much. Planning for the future my youngest dog is now four and I would like to get a new pup when he hits five or six, so I've

45 minutes ago, Suffolkpest said:

I'll start by declaring myself a novice, self-taught but I don't know much.

Planning for the future my youngest dog is now four and I would like to get a new pup when he hits five or six, so I've always got something to run in its prime.

Presently in the house I have three dogs, two small kids and one unreasonable wife.

The new pup will have to be housed in the garden (new luxury kennels to be built). I've got some wooden kennels already, but when I tried putting my younger dog out there he howled so much he managed to get past my wife and now lives on the sofa in the kitchen.

I was pondering if getting two pups might be a better option, so they have each other for company in the new kennel.

What can wrong with taking on two pups from same litter (I'd take two dogs- no bitch)? Or would a single pup be fine living outside when there's three in the house?

Before anyone suggests it, I've grown quite fond of the wife over the years and I need someone to look after the kids.

No one would suggest pts the wife mate and I.know it's easy 2 get attached 2 them ,it's almost impossible 2 pet home even a half decent wife these days and no body wants a good honest wife being passed around ,

I suggest dogs in the house and wife and kids will.have 2 adjust 2 kennel life ,hope this helps

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

I got 2 pups at the same time but from different litters. There are pros and cons, they do keep each other company but fight like fook! 

I reckon you are best building your kennels first, that way you are going to use them because of the graft,time,effort of putting it all together. 

If I was getting 2 again,which I would, would wait a month or 2 before getting the second.

?

• Like 1

In my experience, you won’t train 2 pups as well as one .. plus it takes more work to find for 2, plus In 7/8 years time you’ll have 2 old retired dogs in the kennel and not one. Getting a second dog, to keep the other quiet is not really the best way to be honest. 

Edited by moonlighter
  • Like 10
On 31/12/2020 at 13:51, moonlighter said:

In my experience, you won’t train 2 pups as well as one .. plus it takes more work to find for 2, plus In 7/8 years time you’ll have 2 old retired dogs in the kennel and not one. Getting a second dog, to keep the other quiet is not really the best way to be honest. 

spot on , i did it 13 years ago with old Bryn and his brother, had the 2 pups, but all that happened is they bonded together, and not to me, so sold bryn brother on  when he was 4 months old, and bryn came along great, he  very loyal dog. when i got Buck as pup, there 5 years between  just right really, Buck 8 year old now time fly's  deff. if i was  the lad,  i work the 4 year old lurcher hard for 2 seasons, then bring a pup in, and regards putting it outside , it need another dog with it , so a 6 year old dog will be good company for it when you do it.

• Like 1
On 31/12/2020 at 11:55, Black neck said:

No one would suggest pts the wife mate and I.know it's easy 2 get attached 2 them ,it's almost impossible 2 pet home even a half decent wife these days and no body wants a good honest wife being passed around ,

I suggest dogs in the house and wife and kids will.have 2 adjust 2 kennel life ,hope this helps

I have to agree with you there blacky. Good thing is about having the wife in kennels is she will be glad to get out a couple of times a day to cook and clean in the house.

• Haha 2

Id take 2 pups from a litter and bring them on together.Ive done it several times and it makes the training easier if anything.I find it far harder to train a single pup as the competitive nature of siblings often encourages development.

• Like 1

I found two young pups together don’t work at all you can’t get no obedience training in to them when there together there only interest is in there sibling an pissing about ive seen it loads of times people bringing 2 on an none ever trained up to even a half decent standard may as well not bothered training 

• Like 1
Just now, poxon said:

I found two young pups together don’t work at all you can’t get no obedience training in to them when there together there only interest is in there sibling an pissing about ive seen it loads of times people bringing 2 on an none ever trained up to even a half decent standard may as well not bothered training 

If I wanted 2 pups to be obedient together id have wired them into the mains.When one jumps a wall the sibling follows,when one chases the sibling chases harder,when one is reluctant it loses its reluctant nature with sibling envy,when one is reluctant to strike it will enter its siblings strike with fervour.If I want obedience I eventually get obedience,if I want sibling rivalry and everything it offers ive no need to train for it.The finest lurchers ive entered had at least one sibling to compete with.

• Haha 1
Just now, Penda said:

I can see Morton's cut of gyb here it's like my kids at Christmas fighting for the Malteser celebrations you soon see who's head of the pack 

That makes no sense, personally I would sooner kiss a mush than run on 2 pups