Russian Lathe Accident

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I work with alot of lathes and cranes they take no prisoners, the power of them is unreal.  One 2 of the cranes i work on has 2 motors for the hoist both running at 1000hp each    Watch

I find stuff like that ghoulish, can’t deal with it .  

This is about my limit with health and safety videos ???  

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Oh Dear Fukking God!!! They term it " That " Russian lathe accident. As if everyone's heard about it.

I haven't. But, I've just seen the photo's! Aww Jesus!!!

Fukk lathes! Just fukk them!

yep....watched the video ....and seen the aftermath pics..

its f***ing grim viewing

• Like 2

something i found as sad as the actual film of it is....

somebody at that engineering firm must have put the vid on line and the pics.....its not something i would have done ..especialy being a work college ..very sad state of afairs

• Like 1

as i am a cnc engineer i know what can happen.lucky enough to have not got any serious injuries but my hands are covered in small scares.never seen anything bad but when i was a lot younger i was using a large lathe with a big chuck holder a smaller chuck with a long tube held in it.was parting off these tubes and i put one in that was a lot longer than the others and the whole chuck plus tube was thrown through the roof of the m/c shop.very fecking lucky that day that it went upwards.used up my nine lives that day i think.

I work with alot of lathes and cranes they take no prisoners, the power of them is unreal. 

One 2 of the cranes i work on has 2 motors for the hoist both running at 1000hp each 

Watched the vid its not nice viewing and just shows you it can happen within a blink of an eye. 

Everybody moans about health and safety but its these type of accidents they are tring to eliminate 

• Like 6

Im not going to search out the video ive seen enough of that stuff for real in my trade as a cabinet maker. Shit can happen in a blink of a eye  ive had a few close calls but upto now luck has been on my side. 

The power of a lathe etc is scary. Saw a lad get lucky when his overall arm got caught in one. Tore it off in less than a second, he screamed after. If you roll your overalls down tuck in the arms lol.

Engineering is a dangerous world. When I was studying a professor told us what happens when you fall in a vat.. Apparently you bounce around like a drop of water on a hot plate. Only thing they can do is push you in. Not sure how true that is bit it kept me away from working a foundry ?

I remember, back in the day, they ran a PIB on black and white TV.  Bloke working at a lathe. Someone comes by, puts a mug down. " Cuppa tea there, John. " 'John' glances up from his work. " Thanks, Tony. "

Moment later, John reaches for the mug. Probably placed the other side of the lathe? Whatever. Agonised look on his face as we see his arm spinning, wrapped around the lathe like a towel.

Haunted me ever since. Can't fukking stand lathes!

Spinning machines ain't to be messed with , soon get you tangled up and f**ked up ..

How about the humble pallet truck ... They are demons in disguise 

• Haha 2
Just now, Chid said:

Spinning machines ain't to be messed with , soon get you tangled up and f**ked up ..

How about the humble pallet truck ... They are demons in disguise 

I've pissed myself many a time at that fella going arse over tit. ?