Collie lurcher

1 hour ago, sandymere said:

Nice track grey that stays a bit. It will give the size and speed to a 1st cross, the collie will bring its own talents to make a versatile lurcher. 

Personally I wouldn't be too hung up on it being a stayer as the collie should account for that. Being a straight half x I would be more than likely to try a sprinter to try and ad that off the mark pace.

If it makes a difference or not I couldn't say. On paper it sounds o.k

• Like 2

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good working greyhound x whippet with a bit of height 

this type of mutt are getting more popular for good reason. mooch about they will mark holes, Bush, rabbits etc. take the odd ones in cover. pick up the odd pheasant, partridge, duck. tree squirrels f

Yes mate. Absolutely broke my heart. Went a bit mental after for a couple of months. Try not to think / talk about it too much as she was my best mate. 

Posted Images

17 hours ago, bird said:

fair enough , you seen old bryn when he was younger, and you liked him back then, always was fast for this type x, and good wind , and as agile as any pure collie , great nose find anything in cover bird, rabbit, etc. like said though he no fox dog, he run them , but fook about with them, where as Buck my 1x gsd x grey is alot more full on with any quarry. but as knock about type dog thats biddable , you want beat a 1x collie x grey , all my collie xs  were back to a greyhound , never had one with whippet in it , but a beddy x  collie x grey prob make knock about dogs as well.

That first part about Bryn is nail on the head. Ive probably seen Bryn run more than most and as far has rabbits go day or night he was a handy dog.

or alternatively ....mate the silly arsed collie if you must to a greyhound ...whippet or whatever....give all the pups to weird lurcher men who for some reason like them things.....then in few years down the line get a good grew over one of them offspring owned by the said odd fellows ....and hay presto ...3/4 grew...1/4 collie....

thats what you really want

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
54 minutes ago, TOMO said:

or alternatively ....mate the silly arsed collie if you must to a greyhound ...whippet or whatever....give all the pups to weird lurcher men who for some reason like them things.....then in few years down the line get a good grew over one of them offspring owned by the said odd fellows ....and hay presto ...3/4 grew...1/4 collie....

thats what you really want

What a bigoted view if collie john sees this your fecked

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, TOMO said:

ok my tupence worth...

f**k the collie and the greyhound off and get a lurcher....:D

Tomo, your right mate, a well bred lurcher x lurcher will tackle most quarry, and if rabbits, they deff fill that roll. I had lurcher x lurcher bitch in the 80s she was about 90 %, grey, rest collie whippet, she catch few hares, in the day,  good at ferreting, great in the lamp rabbits, and fox solo,  but  done  Cruicas /ligament at 4 year old, never ran proper again but kept her 14 years till she died. Not really sure if  her speed was her down fall, not sure if it just fast dogs get this injury, or any lurcher with bit of pace,? but she was fast bitch deff?

On 06/11/2020 at 17:49, troyboy17 said:

U want something like that collie grey 12 generation 

received_435489510383322.jpeg

had the litter brother to your dog troy lost him in January and he was turning into a real good dog with an excellent nose and he would only have got better with age im in contact with a few lads who had pups out that litter and all of them are over the moon with them so yes that would be my choice to good generation bred collie grey ticks all the boxes for me 

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 23:19, SheepChaser said:

If you were going to breed a collie lurcher out of a leggy collie bitch, what would you use over it ?

Greyhound ?

Whippet? 

Lurcher? If so what type ? 

Id keep it simple and use a Coursing bred Greyhound,then id be willing to waste a few seasons on this cross until it was possible to breed a second generation lurcher from this mix,the first generation cross is often a pale shadow of things to come.Id never put whippet in the mix because of its influence on the size of future litters and what the whippet lacks,it lacks far more than it offers.

• Confused 1
3 hours ago, morton said:

Id keep it simple and use a Coursing bred Greyhound,then id be willing to waste a few seasons on this cross until it was possible to breed a second generation lurcher from this mix,the first generation cross is often a pale shadow of things to come.Id never put whippet in the mix because of its influence on the size of future litters and what the whippet lacks,it lacks far more than it offers.

Apart from coat, name the 'far more things' that a whippet lacks, morton.

Good whippet blood will add plenty to any lurcher.

Just because you, and other members on here, dislike whippets,  doesn't mean they aint any good, or don't posses many qualities that they can pass on to lurcher/longdog types they get crossed with.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Just because you, and other members on here, dislike whippets,  doesn't mean they aint any good, or don't posses many qualities that they can pass on to lurcher/longdog types they get crossed with.

A good little un will always beat a good biggun

1 minute ago, shaaark said:

I don,t dislike whippets,quite the opposite,i have found them to be one of the most exhilerating hunting jukels,a full bag of tricks and for every second they hunt they are full of thrills and excitement,massively underated and undervalued.Yet they feck future breeding because they offer to much litter diversity,they are rodent dogs and folk want far more from the average lurcher,they have a massive reverse gear when pushed and have an aptitude to throw voicy litters.They offer far less,in lurcher production than nearly everything else,i really like whippets and would readily own another,id never own another whippety lurcher as I always found them to be 3rd rate.

5 minutes ago, morton said:

I don,t dislike whippets,quite the opposite,i have found them to be one of the most exhilerating hunting jukels,a full bag of tricks and for every second they hunt they are full of thrills and excitement,massively underated and undervalued.Yet they feck future breeding because they offer to much litter diversity,they are rodent dogs and folk want far more from the average lurcher,they have a massive reverse gear when pushed and have an aptitude to throw voicy litters.They offer far less,in lurcher production than nearly everything else,i really like whippets and would readily own another,id never own another whippety lurcher as I always found them to be 3rd rate.

Massive reverse gear?!  You talking pure whippets or lurchers with whippet in the breeding? And if you're talking pure, they have never been meant as 'heavy duty' dogs.

Two of the very best fox killing lurchers I've ever seen were collie/grey x whippet/grey x whippet/grey, brother and sister from same litter.

As to pure whippets being undervalued and underated, I have to agree.