New shottie under 4k

So, thinking of treating myself to something nice.

what would you recommend and why.

I want a well made, good looking, shottie for best, game days and clays, maybe even a few duck flights, one that will last. Most likely 12, but could be tempted by a 20

currently looking at the Miroku range, mk38 and the mk60, local shop has them both in and can have a look at them tomorrow, but before I spend out, what else is worth a look.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I’ve been stood behind you at the deli counter in my local Tesco , rolling my eyes as you try every bit of cheddar before you decided that you would have to go away and think about it . ?

Obviously if it’s o/u it’s gay, because it’s got its barrels on the wrong way round ?

I went to a simulated day with a mate who hadn’t done much shooting . First drive he burnt is finger on the barrels and got a big blister . The second drive was in the grouse butts and the clays were

Firstly, have you shot a shotgun before and established which way you swing ie. Beretta or Browning, as that above all else will dictate wich brands you should look towards. They're as different as straight and gay.

Perosnally, I wouldn't just pick a brand and buy a shotgun. I'd establish Beretta or Browning and then start to look at each main brand's associated brands. With a shotgun, unlike a rifle, balance is the key consideration.

Beyond that, as you mentioned Miroku, if you're a Browning fan then Miroku, Browning, Winchester, Remington will all float your boat. Miroku's are excellent guns. But with 4K I'd probably just by a Browning if you're a Browning balance fan. You can afford to go straight to the horses mouth. Miroku are often thought of as cheaper Brownings. With 4K you have the choice so you might as well get a Browning.

Edited by Alsone
4 hours ago, .357shooter said:

like the look of the blaser,s myself.would be tempted if i had the money.very well made as you wanted.would be a nice upgrade from my little silver pidgeon.

Probably wont shoot any better mate. Cracking guns for the money silver pigeons 

• Like 1

All about fit, not so much about make, I shoot a browning 525 30” barrels and it fits me well ( I’m still rubbish with a shotgun though) go to a good gun shop and try everything, you will be spoiled for choice with 4 grand

• Like 1

As outlined above, there is a difference in handling between the Beretta/Parazzi and Browning/Miroku guns.  In many cases, people prefer one 'feel' and handling over the other type but it is down to you.  Some will say what a waste of money to spend £4k on a shotgun but having owned one or two costly guns, I would spend that amount and a shed load more if I could afford it, bloody pension ?.   Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some would want a high degree of engraving, I prefer little or no engraving, we are all different in that respect but above all, take the time to visit a clay ground with a good shop where you can try a few guns out as gun fit is the most important aspect if you are to stand any chance of shooting an expensive gun, or any gun for that matter, to the best of your ability.

Good luck in your search but one thing to take into account, the big four makes listed above will ALWAYS sell s/h whereas some quite expensive guns may or may not hold their price but can take a long time to sell without taking a heavy hit in part exchange.  Just as an example,  both my Beretta DT10 and my Perazzi MX8 lost almost nothing when I part exchanged them.

Phil

• Like 7

I think most of the previous posts have covered it . But here , for what it’s worth is my two Penneth . I currently own  a Miroku MK38 sporterised Trap  in 32” . Without doubt, the best gun I’ve had . I’ve had Perazzi and Beretta. But nothing has felt as good to shoot as a Miroku . But that is just me . You say your gun shop has Mk60 in . If they have got an MK 60 grade 5 game gun , get it , they are for the money to my mind the best bang for your buck . I think they are retailing under £3000 . You could spend more on a Caesar guerini or Perazzi or a Belgian Browning , say a B2G or similar . But I doubt they will shoot better . Go on YouTube and watch Dave Carrie knocking down high pheasants with his Miroku MK60 . This is only my opinion.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Stavross said:

All about fit, not so much about make, I shoot a browning 525 30” barrels and it fits me well ( I’m still rubbish with a shotgun though) go to a good gun shop and try everything, you will be spoiled for choice with 4 grand

19 hours ago, sussex said:

20 bore ! ....it’ll look like a toy in your hands you big tart ...?

17 hours ago, Alsone said:

Firstly, have you shot a shotgun before and established which way you swing ie. Beretta or Browning, as that above all else will dictate wich brands you should look towards. They're as different as straight and gay.

Perosnally, I wouldn't just pick a brand and buy a shotgun. I'd establish Beretta or Browning and then start to look at each main brand's associated brands. With a shotgun, unlike a rifle, balance is the key consideration.

Beyond that, as you mentioned Miroku, if you're a Browning fan then Miroku, Browning, Winchester, Remington will all float your boat. Miroku's are excellent guns. But with 4K I'd probably just by a Browning if you're a Browning balance fan. You can afford to go straight to the horses mouth. Miroku are often thought of as cheaper Brownings. With 4K you have the choice so you might as well get a Browning.

Yes, done a bit but no preference, only ever used what ever was around and never spent any time with one particular gun.

will be handling a lot over the next few days and see what feels righ.

15 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

4k is getting heavy for a shotgun. Is it for goose shooting?

10 hours ago, .357shooter said:

like the look of the blaser,s myself.would be tempted if i had the money.very well made as you wanted.would be a nice upgrade from my little silver pidgeon.

Not for me.

5 hours ago, Stavross said:

Totally agreed, I have a man who will custom fit it if needed (I’m also rubbish with a shottie as spent most my life using rifles), but I’m thinking of spending some time on clays this yr.

5 hours ago, philpot said:

As outlined above, there is a difference in handling between the Beretta/Parazzi and Browning/Miroku guns.  In many cases, people prefer one 'feel' and handling over the other type but it is down to you.  Some will say what a waste of money to spend £4k on a shotgun but having owned one or two costly guns, I would spend that amount and a shed load more if I could afford it, bloody pension ?.   Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some would want a high degree of engraving, I prefer little or no engraving, we are all different in that respect but above all, take the time to visit a clay ground with a good shop where you can try a few guns out as gun fit is the most important aspect if you are to stand any chance of shooting an expensive gun, or any gun for that matter, to the best of your ability.

Good luck in your search but one thing to take into account, the big four makes listed above will ALWAYS sell s/h whereas some quite expensive guns may or may not hold their price but can take a long time to sell without taking a heavy hit in part exchange.  Just as an example,  both my Beretta DT10 and my Perazzi MX8 lost almost nothing when I part exchanged them.

Phil

I don’t spoil myself too often, but I have decided I will get myself one nice one as opposed to the knocked about farm/tractor/truck everyday guns.

2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I think most of the previous posts have covered it . But here , for what it’s worth is my two Penneth . I currently own  a Miroku MK38 sporterised Trap  in 32” . Without doubt, the best gun I’ve had . I’ve had Perazzi and Beretta. But nothing has felt as good to shoot as a Miroku . But that is just me . You say your gun shop has Mk60 in . If they have got an MK 60 grade 5 game gun , get it , they are for the money to my mind the best bang for your buck . I think they are retailing under £3000 . You could spend more on a Caesar guerini or Perazzi or a Belgian Browning , say a B2G or similar . But I doubt they will shoot better . Go on YouTube and watch Dave Carrie knocking down high pheasants with his Miroku MK60 . This is only my opinion.

I’ve several people whose opinion I trust say the very same thing about the Miroku.

i will be heading up the gunshop (also local clay ground and lots handle).

• Like 1
On 22/08/2020 at 22:38, Rabid said:

Yes, done a bit but no preference, only ever used what ever was around and never spent any time with one particular gun.

will be handling a lot over the next few days and see what feels righ.

Handling and balance are the most important thing. Gte out on a clay shoot and shoot a bit with both Beretta and Browning before making any purchase. You're going to find one sits and swings easier than the other for you, guaranteed and once you do you'll know which camp you're in. To juts buy now on the basis of brand because it's good, could be the most expensive mistake you'll ever make.

2 hours ago, Alsone said:

Handling and balance are the most important thing. Gte out on a clay shoot and shoot a bit with both Beretta and Browning before making any purchase. You're going to find one sits and swings easier than the other for you, guaranteed and once you do you'll know which camp you're in. To juts buy now on the basis of brand because it's good, could be the most expensive mistake you'll ever make.

I have an opinion on handling and swinging a shotgun. I’m probably going to get shot to pieces for saying this , but here goes . Unless you have done a lot of shooting and put the hours in at the clay ground or a lot more hours in live quarry shooting, then you probably haven’t really developed muscle memory and a real feel for what kind of fit and swing you prefer . Most shotguns have standard stock dimensions that will fit most people and unless you are unusually tall or fat or short, then they should be ok . I’m 6,2” and I could  pick up and shoot nearly every shotgun I handle. I would advise Rabid , who has done a fair bit by the sounds of it to get the gun that he finds the most pleasing to his eye ( pride of ownership, is a real factor) and wallet , and then take it to a skeet range and get used to it . I reckon skeet is the best way of developing muscle memory and sight picture, and forming a unit with a new gun . Here endeth the sermon. Amen ? 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I have an opinion on handling and swinging a shotgun. I’m probably going to get shot to pieces for saying this , but here goes . Unless you have done a lot of shooting and put the hours in at the clay ground or a lot more hours in live quarry shooting, then you probably haven’t really developed muscle memory and a real feel for what kind of fit and swing you prefer . Most shotguns have standard stock dimensions that will fit most people and unless you are unusually tall or fat or short, then they should be ok . I’m 6,2” and I could  pick up and shoot nearly every shotgun I handle. I would advise Rabid , who has done a fair bit by the sounds of it to get the gun that he finds the most pleasing to his eye ( pride of ownership, is a real factor) and wallet , and then take it to a skeet range and get used to it . I reckon skeet is the best way of developing muscle memory and sight picture, and forming a unit with a new gun . Here endeth the sermon. Amen ? 

Cannot argue with any of that SL.  Skeet is less popular than it used to be some years ago but it is a superb practice discipline.  I still use skeet as a practice round to sharpen me up at times.

Phil

• Like 2