“Should make good rabbit dogs”

1 hour ago, Black neck said:

A rabbit dog has 2 have a lot of whippet in it or it won't catch any same as if a dog has no bull terrier init won't even look at a fox and an hare wont get stopped by anything that's not salukified and collies well there 2 clever 2 do ote 

Just observations I've made after 60 plus years of running dogs 9 times a week and that

9 times a week, part timer 

• Like 1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t t know about the advert but I do know there are dogs that go ferreting and there are ferreting dogs. A big difference in the two. 

A rabbit dog has 2 have a lot of whippet in it or it won't catch any same as if a dog has no bull terrier init won't even look at a fox and an hare wont get stopped by anything that's not salukified a

...because they need to be entered Caerphilly!

Posted Images

4 hours ago, sandymere said:

LOL Shark, probably...

What happened to Mad Bill?.

On the main subject i've had a couple of dogs that i considered rabbit dogs, lampers mainly but would put a decent shift in daytime. All could and would take what ever popped up, although both were a little small for bigger stuff in truth, didn't stop them but they struggled occasionally. The smaller size, 22", brought agility and acceleration which I felt helped on running lamped rabbits and likely helped with keeping them cool.

A big un can get down to a rabbit much as a smaller can get hold of bigger stuff but ..............

Is madcamping, clemming, decapitate your arm and shove em up your ausehole, whin?! ?

4 hours ago, sandymere said:

LOL Shark, probably...

What happened to Mad Bill?.

On the main subject i've had a couple of dogs that i considered rabbit dogs, lampers mainly but would put a decent shift in daytime. All could and would take what ever popped up, although both were a little small for bigger stuff in truth, didn't stop them but they struggled occasionally. The smaller size, 22", brought agility and acceleration which I felt helped on running lamped rabbits and likely helped with keeping them cool.

A big un can get down to a rabbit much as a smaller can get hold of bigger stuff but ..............

I had a 29" tts bitch up until a few years ago, that was a pretty good rabbit catcher. Rabbits have never been my thing. So didn't really target them. Got her as an out and out all round lamper. If I'd concentrated on catching rabbits, I'm convinced she'd have been very useful ?

• Like 1
On 24/06/2020 at 12:27, SheepChaser said:

I see the above said all of the time about various Lurchers or pups.

Now I don’t want to offend anyone (I’m sure I probably will), but what does that actually mean? 

There aren’t that many rabbits about these days, and I think pretty much most average Lurchers should be able to do a decent enough job on them lamping, ferreting or bushing.

So is it meant to mean they will excel at that job (how?) or that they won’t be much use for much else? 

It’s a fair point given the best rabbiting dog I owned was a minute old fashioned Jack  Russell bitch.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

It’s a fair point given the best rabbiting dog I owned was a minute old fashioned Jack  Russell bitch.

Very good point: my best rabbiting dog was my pure kelpie bitch who died last year. She was also my best rat hunting dog...but I certainly wouldn't go so far as to recommend one if someone told me they wanted a rabbiting dog.

Maybe the phrase "should make good rabbiting dogs" was simply because the breeder was being P.C. and wanted them to sound more legal?

• Like 1
On 24/06/2020 at 16:49, Shadow100 said:

What he means is, when a man posts a picture of a big hard looking bull cross for example, then someone asks if it’s any good, or does he rate it? The owner then replies “it does what it’s bred for”

This can be misleading, as we all know the dogs bred for teeth, but in reality it gets one small night on the rabbits a fortnight. The owners cryptic reply gives the impression the dog is doing far more than it really is.

This is a common thing on these sites, like pictures of dogs on mountain tops, or in big forestry plantations, accompanied by a comment like “he did his job” or “we had some sport”. When really they were probably just out a walk and the dogs not harmed a hair on a living creatures head.

Another favourite is the headshot of the dog with blood on its face, with no explanation where it came from, gets the imagination going, could’ve been a red stag, or a wild boar..... or it could’ve nailed a sheep or pulled apart a mixi rabbit. 

Its a creative way of bullshitting without actually telling lies.

Says it all especially when there trying to sell pups ???

It's  just advertising; adverts are exaggerations to sell things.

If you are getting a pup, do your homework, see the parents work, or talk to people, other than the breeder, who has seen them work. Nothing is 100% sure but you can eliminate a lot of variables.

Well bred pups from proven parents usually don't need advertising, but a lot of people in the game aren't in the "loop", so go to breeders and hope they are truthful, but dog breeders, used car salesmen , double glazing salesmen, etc, all come in the same category for me; some are genuine, most simply want your money !

Beware the advert that appear all over the place, on FB, Hunting sites, Gumtree, CMW, claiming pups are bred from "Obedience Winners, Field Trial Winners, Derby Winners, Waterloo Cup Winners, etc,, yet no one has heard of the dogs or owners !

"Should Catch Rabbits" isn't going to make me rush out to buy the pup.......shouldnt ALL lurchers do that ?

Cheers.

• Like 4