• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll take the calibre that's as lethal as some of the keyboards on here! 

I'm going to have a go. See what  all the fuss is over! Fed up with the 22 anyway. I'm going.....are you sitting down..... Go for a 17 hmr! Now you have a short time to talk m

How did you measure the 154yds, by pacing it out? Did you have your shoe laces tied together? ? 

Posted Images

21 hours ago, ianm said:

Just get one thing straight my name isn't Alsone and you have decided to lecture the wrong bloke

?? poor Alsone gets dragged in when he hasn't even commented!! ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
10 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Think the smallest thing I've shot with a 308 is magpies.

I was eyeing up a carrion through the scope on my 308 the other week. It was just stood there on the post, my mind was like, do I, don't I, do I, don't I ?

• Haha 1

Well as I kindly got dragged into this one...

20 hours ago, Deker said:

You really need to calm down, it was you who said "I tend to favour one of my 204s over any grimfire"

I have to agree with Deker here soley in the part quoted above. I haven't read the rest and I'm not planning on getting dragged into it.

Despite loving the effects of .204, it's hardly justifiable for the majority of shooters as a rabbit gun. Although I'm a great believer in you can never have too much hydrostatic shocking power from a humane perspective (ie power in calibres that won't over penetrate), vaporising your prey isn't necessary. If it floats your boat then why not, if you can afford the extra ammo cost or time spent reloading, but I doubt .204 ruger is a viable alternative for most to a "grimfire" or Hornet for rabbit. For fox, it's a different story but then that comes down to the most appropriate and also cost effective calibre for the prey at hand. .204 will always be niche for rabbit just as .50 cal will be for fox. If Ian wants to shoot rabbits with it then it's his entitlement. However, I don't expect a .204 rabbit revolution anytime soon.

Edited by Alsone
1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

?? poor Alsone gets dragged in when he hasn't even commented!! ??

I was just making sure that the c**ts c**t Decking doesn't think he will get away with me what he gets away with poor old Alsone.

• Like 1

So, that's the Winchester 20g ammo spent.

Good accuracy but to many misfires so it's out of the running for me. Even the very last round failed on a 50y magpie!

I'm now on the Hornady 20g and the jury is still out.

I so much want the 20g ammo to work but am starting to think the 17g is better for all-round versatility.

I will keep you informed as I whittle my way through the the ammo selection.

44 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

So, that's the Winchester 20g ammo spent.

Good accuracy but to many misfires so it's out of the running for me. Even the very last round failed on a 50y magpie!

I'm now on the Hornady 20g and the jury is still out.

I so much want the 20g ammo to work but am starting to think the 17g is better for all-round versatility.

I will keep you informed as I whittle my way through the the ammo selection.

This is so interesting for myself because your doing the groundwork testing all these different rounds but I’d be surprised if you didn’t opt for the Remington 17g as over ten years plus same gun as yours they have only given me a problem when it was well documented about the squib rounds / split necks and only a few boxes.

I still use them and I am impressed overall with accuracy and consistency but will watch closely on what you finally think is the best round for the CZ 452 Varmint barrel I believe that’s what you have got good luck testing and keep us posted with the results. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

This is so interesting for myself because your doing the groundwork testing all these different rounds but I’d be surprised if you didn’t opt for the Remington 17g as over ten years plus same gun as yours they have only given me a problem when it was well documented about the squib rounds / split necks and only a few boxes.

I still use them and I am impressed overall with accuracy and consistency but will watch closely on what you finally think is the best round for the CZ 452 Varmint barrel I believe that’s what you have got good luck testing and keep us posted with the results. 

I was indeed impressed with the Remington ammo.

Thanks and I will update asap.

• Like 1