Pure beeds where would you be without them ?

53 minutes ago, Allan P said:

To be fair that’s applicable to all Lurchers. 

Yes it goes without saying you could have any dog running well on say small medium land and then take to good hares on very big land it may do ok on the odd occasion but to be consistent it needs time to get used to the different and preparation of that kind of running and most know usually takes around six weeks..

Also fair to say a lot say fen dogs are no good on small land and although I don't like plodders myself but if a dog has been used to running on big land and taken to smaller land they can sometimes struggle to do much with them but when there brought up on small snaggy land you can see a big difference and they learn how to adjust especially if they have that running brain to go with it.

• Like 3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched a documentary not so long ago about the gait of the purebred saluki and how it contributes to their amazing stamina. Though i can't remember its name but i did see it a couple of times and it may be on a thread on here.

Anyways, was wondering, with coursing dogs having a mix of 'prediminantly' Saluki and Greyhound, would the different gaits of both breeds be seen in individual siblings from the same litter.

And, if so, i wonder which gait have the more successful coursers ran with..?

3 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

I don’t mean flat as in can’t bend anything, what I mean is when you trot them for 6 weeks, that first trip out they’re a far cry away from their best, fast forward to mid-late november they look a different dog 

A dog can trot and stay in its comfort zone, but when the demon hare eyeballs him and tells him, I'm gonna take you to a place you've never been before, well that's a different matter altogether

You know ?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bosun11 said:

Watched a documentary not so long ago about the gait of the purebred saluki and how it contributes to their amazing stamina. Though i can't remember its name but i did see it a couple of times and it may be on a thread on here.

Anyways, was wondering, with coursing dogs having a mix of 'prediminantly' Saluki and Greyhound, would the different gaits of both breeds be seen in individual siblings from the same litter.

And, if so, i wonder which gait have the more successful coursers ran with..?

Double suspension gallop ?

• Like 1

I see your dogs ped on the other thread juckler  and the coments of tampering I believe a lot of the old coursing lurcher peds are made up to suit egos as well to be fair, here is old flashes ped his parents can be found a long  way back in most of the well known saluki lines,i put a pic up on the red thread off a fred bitch I  bred.

034.JPG

DSCF8630.JPG

On 30/05/2020 at 18:44, TOMO said:

What was up the tree..?

Watched a Hare go up a hollow branch to evade my dog Sally years ago...one end touched the ground where the Hare entered....the branch went up off the ground about 4..5 feet..I could see the Hare through little holes in the rotten branch as it crawled through to the farthest end..we left it alone and moved on....always nice to animals do stuff out of the ordinary 

They are amazing creatures things like this is what it's all about ???

15 hours ago, Westyorkshire_lad said:

If your doing 6 to 8 weeks of fitness and your dogs are still flat you must be doing something wrong there pal , never had a problem getting mine fit weather its been a pure saluki or a coursing bred , alot of men go wrong with diets, iv found mine to do alot better on high carbs before runs , some dont feed a day before some feed the same morning is finding whats best for dog imo but everyone has they own theorys . Mine keep reasonabley fit all year round i mite pedal them abit august september time and i always build the numbers of runs up as the season gets on but i always change they diets up leading up to the coming season.

Keep em.in condition all the time got to agree there ???

Hard when.grounds like cank but can be done road n track wise but to be fair I don't mind three month layoff in heat  of summer just to heal they soon bounce back and definitely on changing diets you know a dog pal winter time is beef here no more chicken high protein  all the way you only get out what you put in ?

Mint post bud ?

Edited by juckler123
  • Like 1
On 01/06/2020 at 09:40, mC HULL said:

I’d rather a slower dog can read land with a good coursing brain Rather then a pusher You go back to a grey they be good killers snipe plenty but haven’t the brain patience for the real good ones 

the grey today are different to 50 year ago They was big solid dogs now the more to sprinting 

Couldn't agree more Mc different animal to forty years ago I do like first crosses and for certain jobs but I honestly think they have little to offer hounds we have today for coursing but I'd still like to see a proper lineage of F1s bred together and the mongrelisation that would come with it that's yet to be tested imho 

And would be very interesting ?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, two crows said:

I see your dogs ped on the other thread juckler  and the coments of tampering I believe a lot of the old coursing lurcher peds are made up to suit egos as well to be fair, here is old flashes ped his parents can be found a long  way back in most of the well known saluki lines,i put a pic up on the red thread off a fred bitch I  bred.

034.JPG

DSCF8630.JPG

Lathered in burydown and mazuri ??

That's a mint pedigree you know it ?

15 hours ago, dodger said:

Yes it goes without saying you could have any dog running well on say small medium land and then take to good hares on very big land it may do ok on the odd occasion but to be consistent it needs time to get used to the different and preparation of that kind of running and most know usually takes around six weeks..

Also fair to say a lot say fen dogs are no good on small land and although I don't like plodders myself but if a dog has been used to running on big land and taken to smaller land they can sometimes struggle to do much with them but when there brought up on small snaggy land you can see a big difference and they learn how to adjust especially if they have that running brain to go with it.

A million percent yes Dodger that running brain is the difference they only have to.be brought up on tight land and  just fast enough and can box their quarry if it never leaves the field that to me is class I like aggressive but capable of reading land and quarry that's the hard bit and practice makes perfect awesome post bud ?

Edited by juckler123
12 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

A dog can trot and stay in its comfort zone, but when the demon hare eyeballs him and tells him, I'm gonna take you to a place you've never been before, well that's a different matter altogether

You know ?

Truth that pal proper truth ??

• Like 1