Back up at the shoot

Ok lads ,fair comments but I ain’t that green ,everything about it said fox from the ears to the hot spot to one side where the muntie had got up to piss that we took for blood and just a pointer Ben ,human eyes don’t reflect shine .I get that others would have done it different ,gone by the book ,gone for a dog or waited til dawn ?As a rule I don’t shoot at eyes ,saw too much of that years ago but this occasion I did and f****d up .

Squeaky clean I ain’t but I’ll tell it as it happened ,not cover up f**k ups for sake of losing face .Any of us are only a trigger pull away from f***ing up at any time ,remember that next time it happens to you lads .

• Like 4

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Good write up ? it’s nice to see people doing a write up when things don’t go to plan, many years ago I shot a feral cat that I was convinced was a cub, at the time I thought it was the farm cat until I built up the courage to ask the farmer, I spent ages looking at it before I took the shot. It doesn’t matter how many times it goes to plan at some point it will go wrong and if everyone can learn something from that it can only be a good thing ?

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Ok lads ,fair comments but I ain’t that green ,everything about it said fox from the ears to the hot spot to one side where the muntie had got up to piss that we took for blood and just a pointer Ben ,human eyes don’t reflect shine .I get that others would have done it different ,gone by the book ,gone for a dog or waited til dawn ?As a rule I don’t shoot at eyes ,saw too much of that years ago but this occasion I did and f****d up .

Squeaky clean I ain’t but I’ll tell it as it happened ,not cover up f**k ups for sake of losing face .Any of us are only a trigger pull away from f***ing up at any time ,remember that next time it happens to you lads .

Appreciate the honesty mate, by no means is anyone perfect, just saying my opinion (as always! ?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not been on here for a few days as I’ve been busy. We’ve shot last Saturday, Tuesday and Yesterday. And got the bags we wanted, but at a price. I had to go into drives I usually don’t go into at this stage of the season, but hey ho , you can only shoot them once . Hope everyone is getting some sport . 
        Just been reading FDs experience and it reminded me of a fox that I’d been after . It was spotted sitting on top of a muck heap regularly , but was a long way off and when I tried to close the distance it would slip over the back of the heap and disappear. On this occasion I closed the distance and did its usual trick and disappeared over the back , but then I saw it through the thermal appear at the side of the heap and move through the long grass and part of its body was exposed in a gap in the grass . Thud , I went to collect it and it was a munty that the fox must of disturbed it , and I mistook it for the Charlie in my desperation to finish that fox . It happens. They do look similar at distance. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Not been on here for a few days as I’ve been busy. We’ve shot last Saturday, Tuesday and Yesterday. And got the bags we wanted, but at a price. I had to go into drives I usually don’t go into at this stage of the season, but hey ho , you can only shoot them once . Hope everyone is getting some sport . 
        Just been reading FDs experience and it reminded me of a fox that I’d been after . It was spotted sitting on top of a muck heap regularly , but was a long way off and when I tried to close the distance it would slip over the back of the heap and disappear. On this occasion I closed the distance and did its usual trick and disappeared over the back , but then I saw it through the thermal appear at the side of the heap and move through the long grass and part of its body was exposed in a gap in the grass . Thud , I went to collect it and it was a munty that the fox must of disturbed it , and I mistook it for the Charlie in my desperation to finish that fox . It happens. They do look similar at distance. 

I was stalking roe buck up in D&G once. I rested on a stone wall in the forest to watch to my right a roe buck walk behind a self set pine on a bank.

I got ready and as soon as it reappeared all though obscured  somewhat l let fly with my 30/30.

What happened next all happened  in a blur. The deer I shot dropped but unknown to me and from the same spot a second deer leapt and stopped thirty yards away or so. Thinking it was wounded by me I shot again but when I got there it was a doe?‍♂️.

I went back and immediately found the buck?‍♂️ ooops.

It happens....

• Like 1

After being stuck in the house all week due to fog and rain I was desperate to be out last night seeing as there was a break in the weather. 1st farm had 3 stands calling and saw nothing so headed back to the car which was parked next to a small field with a stream running through it and gorse and rushes. Had a last call here ,on switching the caller on with young rabbit immediately a fox came screaming in from my right behind a gorse Bush and stopped 45 yds away looking at the caller , vixen quickly dispatched ?20201212_215911.jpg.aa449888b31fd26a06ea99534c07b08b.jpg

Edited by FOXHUNTER
  • Like 4

On to the 2nd farm , I set up facing a long wood and proceeded to play vixen mating call. A fox appeared at the edge of the wood some 250 yds away but hung up. I switched the call to gekkering with an immediate response , he came trotting in to around 100yds and shot him off the quads once again ? a nice big dog fox this time.  

20201213_010837.jpg

• Like 6

Number 141 last night .Too easy really .Pulled up at farm that’s got a lot of feral pigeons about .I do it anyway but he’s not said anything until his bacteria count in milk has gone through the roof .Looked at the roosts and then into the fields for a fox .This farm is immaculate mind ,can’t understand why he hasn’t mentioned the ferals .3 foxes just sat in a field watching each other waiting for the tanker to go or some other trigger .Farmer reckons they come in for spilt  milk and a chance of the many free range chicken he has that sometimes just jug in the loose straw outside the run .Can’t be having that so shot the middle one .Other two scarpered but I’ll be back .

709CF913-0165-4633-8976-C6C032149AA6.jpeg

• Like 7