Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Well the birds are fed and looking at where they are, we’ll be shooting 4 main drives on Saturday. Making up the rest of the day with a few small drives. Just as the light started to break through the forestry block I had two cock birds properly going at it in front of me, they don’t half make a racket in full battle mode. Much of the cover in the hard wood plantations has gone now with the cold weather and endless rain, so these birds have moved into the thick cover around the farm, beating these small areas out is a nightmare as the brambles are so thick and hide some big holes, so before you know it you are on your arse. 

DDBD8866-918C-4262-981B-1A8BE22EFE49.jpeg

00F1DCE6-30ED-4930-9350-96269592508F.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I’ve just got in from feeding because I’m not going to feed in the morning...... I’m of to sunny Cheshire for my annual woodcock shoot . Travelling north this evening and staying in a Travel lodge , hopefully a leisurely full English in the morning then a short drive to the shoot . 
         I will do a write up for anyone who is interested in the Driven , walked up and rough shooting section. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a witnessed right and left . ???? I think I’d like  to be in the woodcock club . All those stuffy old farts need a bit of SL behaving badly at the annual dinner . ??

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Well I had a choice Christmas shopping ??or drop the boss off and go squirrel hunting. 

Well now difficult decision Not.

Despite it peeing down sideways found the first couple on the ponds and unfortunately they're now resident in the pond having fell in when shot.

End of the village feeders now very difficult to see anything as the constant heavy rain was a grey curtain in the scope .

The last one was happily chomping on a feeder till a 40g winnie sub stopped his farting in church. 

Should have had a lot more but its dire out there today. 

20201213_151018.jpg

• Like 5

I’ll keep my eye open for that write up ? they are not a bird I shoot very often but I will have a go at one if the opportunity arrives

on another note I’ve just been invited to Lincolnshire in the new year on the geese as long as the covid restrictions are eased a bit, so fingers crossed for that ?

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Well I had a choice Christmas shopping ??or drop the boss off and go squirrel hunting. 

Despite it peeing down sideways found the first couple on the ponds and unfortunately they're now resident in the pond having fell in when shot.

End of the village feeders now very difficult to see anything as the constant heavy rain was a grey curtain in the scope .

The last one was happily chomping on a feeder till a 40g winnie sub stopped his farting in church. 

20201213_151018.jpg

Good shooting bc, all I’ve done is baited a couple of rat runs, weather has been crap here all day. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve just got in from feeding because I’m not going to feed in the morning...... I’m of to sunny Cheshire for my annual woodcock shoot . Travelling north this evening and staying in a Travel lodge , hopefully a leisurely full English in the morning then a short drive to the shoot . 
         I will do a write up for anyone who is interested in the Driven , walked up and rough shooting section. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a witnessed right and left . ???? I think I’d like  to be in the woodcock club . All those stuffy old farts need a bit of SL behaving badly at the annual dinner . ??

Sounds great , are you just having a walked up day ? My kind of day that ?Only had a chance at a right and left woodcock once , folded 1st bird and 2nd bird was in the bag except I had a misfire.....can you believe it ? good luck and may the woodcock gods be shining on you.

20201205_124921.jpg

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

20201213_151018.jpg

Would that rifle happen to be a cz 511?

No Ian its a Cz 452 series 2 American to read the full blurb on the side .

Started life 22" long which was unwieldy so Brock n Norris made it 14".Handy in or out of a truck and a tack driver. Cheap as chips ,very well made and sits just right in my fat fingers .

• Like 1