Back up at the shoot

4 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Your dance partner looks knackered!

Not surprised after run around she give me! 

I set up in first field, we park the bale carts in there & I like shooting off them prone. Set gc350 up about 50yds to my right. Within 10 minutes spot vixen enter to my left 200+yds. Making steady progress towards call, stops for a wizz then keeps trotting. All of a sudden something spook her, didn't even freeze to think, just turn tail & legged it! No idea. Wind not changed, I made no sound & she never looked towards me. Annoying. Gave it another 20 minutes or so then move towards field she ran off too. 

This field is a old rig & furrow field, and as I come through gateway, thermal just picks out two little white triangles, like a couple of dairylea! Just poking up above a ridge, took me a moment to realise it was tips of a foxes ears. I set pard on her, only 63yds but could only see the dairylea triangles & occasionally a wisp of head fluff. Just a waiting game. I know this field & its flat & sloping down from me, giving me a view of entire field. Within 5 minutes she lifted just enough, head & shoulders above top of ridge. I always had the crosshairs on her whole time so pop down she went. 

When went over, shed been chomping on a big pile of shit that muck spreader had chucked out, no doubt it was full of worms & grubs.

• Like 7

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Good result Ben , I wish I’d gone out but, I had a bit of trouble with off roaders, probably Britain’s worst off road duo . The phone goes and it’s this old guy who lives near the shoot , his house overlooks one of the valleys .“  Are you out tonight “?“ No , I’m at home watching strictly “, ( There is only one reason men watch strictly, and yes , I am a perv) , “ because there are torch lights in the valley “ , “ cheers , be there in a minute “. I got to the valley and the lock on the gate was broken, and I could hear revving and talking and see torches . As I approached I put my lamp on and saw two vehicles stuck in a swamp . I thought they were poachers with running dogs , so I steeled myself for a bit of a confrontation, “ what the f@ck are you doing?” It turned out to be a couple of , off roaders ( shit off roaders) . They were wading about in the mud with a shovel . “ good job you brought that shovel otherwise you’d be f@cked “ I joked and I could hardly contain my laughter. I said I’d be back in the morning at 10am with a tractor to pull them out . I spoke to the boss and we met them this morning and charged them £200 . They apologised for the lock and promised never to return. I don’t think they will be back . 

5AD1BF2E-0613-4064-B5EE-BAF7900C7E0E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 of us met up the small diy shoot we do normally for a little walk round with the .410 s this afternoon for an hour .Squirrels but anything goes types of walk .Mate hit a woodcock that lifted by my foot but we never found it in the dense reeds .

Had a squirrel each .Started raining just as we left big time .

A6655AE2-3D25-466D-9ADE-709A75807273.jpeg

• Like 6
30 minutes ago, Stavross said:

They are lucky they had such understanding people to pull them out, on many places that would of been black and crispy by morning 

I know what you mean . I had a run in some years ago with a guy I caught breaking into a shed on the shoot . We put a bale spike through his transit . Felt great at the time , but the trouble we had after from him and his friends made us reevaluate our approach to such things . Now , we just report things to the police , which we did with this case , and all we got was an incident number . We could also have left the vehicles there till the spring , but we would have had all their mates up trying to get it out . The best and easiest thing was to get some money off them , take the piss out of them , and hopefully they won’t be back . 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

3 of us met up the small diy shoot we do normally for a little walk round with the .410 s this afternoon for an hour .Squirrels but anything goes types of walk .Mate hit a woodcock that lifted by my foot but we never found it in the dense reeds .

Had a squirrel each .Started raining just as we left big time .

A6655AE2-3D25-466D-9ADE-709A75807273.jpeg

Ever since I’ve had shotguns I’ve had a fourten. I’m wondering now how we will get on with steel shot in them if it’s forced on us?

• Sad 1