Back up at the shoot

17 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I know what you mean . I had a run in some years ago with a guy I caught breaking into a shed on the shoot . We put a bale spike through his transit . Felt great at the time , but the trouble we had after from him and his friends made us reevaluate our approach to such things . Now , we just report things to the police , which we did with this case , and all we got was an incident number . We could also have left the vehicles there till the spring , but we would have had all their mates up trying to get it out . The best and easiest thing was to get some money off them , take the piss out of them , and hopefully they won’t be back . 

I hope the  tractor didn't damage anything......by accident of course.

• Haha 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Bit of a reconnaissance mission this afternoon, as the sheep farmer ask me for a deer I thought I’d have a look around his spot because if I can shoot one there it will save me shooting one somewhere else and taking it to him, so a look around and then a bit of fox calling was on the cards.

on arrival it was a bit windy but dry, setting off to the top of the farm I cross a paddock containing a tup that started following me with his top lip twitching as if  I was his next conquest, not wanting to loose my manhood I hopped the fence and carried on to the top where I can glass a lot of the farm and beyond, spotting a group of 3 roe within a few minutes, the down side is they are on next doors farm rummaging around a good size bit of set aside and I’m sure they would much rather be there than on a winter wheat field. 
With the light fading I thought I’d have a call for a bit, as soon as I got myself into the hedge back I was going to call from the rain started after 30 minutes or so of calling in 2 different locations the side ways rain finally beat me and I called it a night. On the way  back to the farm one of the fields contained 6 hares, remembering someone asking me for one a while back I gave him a ring “ you still want a hare?” “Yep” “I’ll get you one” so picking the biggest in the field at about 90ish yards I neck shot it with the .223. I picked it up and made my way back to the dry and warmth of the motor ( it was a big bugger )

D994BDF7-C7B6-479D-B48C-1C408A3A8F62.jpeg

A550A429-460D-4404-B54A-1B60FCAE6D36.png

DA71D161-C6C1-4F3B-9F87-4BEA28B714AE.jpeg

• Like 5

Out tonight at my mates shoot as he saw a fox yesterday afternoon whilst feeding up. The weather has been awful all day but was going anyway and on arrival at 7pm the weather was ok. Started calling using the mating calls with no response so after 25 minutes changed to hare distress and had a fox coming in lovely straight away , came nice and steady to around 100 yards . A dog fox was grassed ? Carried on calling for another couple of hours but nothing else showed but we had achieved the desired result.

20201115_215635.jpg

• Like 9
20 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Good result Ben , I wish I’d gone out but, I had a bit of trouble with off roaders, probably Britain’s worst off road duo . The phone goes and it’s this old guy who lives near the shoot , his house overlooks one of the valleys .“  Are you out tonight “?“ No , I’m at home watching strictly “, ( There is only one reason men watch strictly, and yes , I am a perv) , “ because there are torch lights in the valley “ , “ cheers , be there in a minute “. I got to the valley and the lock on the gate was broken, and I could hear revving and talking and see torches . As I approached I put my lamp on and saw two vehicles stuck in a swamp . I thought they were poachers with running dogs , so I steeled myself for a bit of a confrontation, “ what the f@ck are you doing?” It turned out to be a couple of , off roaders ( shit off roaders) . They were wading about in the mud with a shovel . “ good job you brought that shovel otherwise you’d be f@cked “ I joked and I could hardly contain my laughter. I said I’d be back in the morning at 10am with a tractor to pull them out . I spoke to the boss and we met them this morning and charged them £200 . They apologised for the lock and promised never to return. I don’t think they will be back . 

5AD1BF2E-0613-4064-B5EE-BAF7900C7E0E.jpeg

It's a P38..... so despite the overwhelming evidence that it's stuck, it's more likely broken down! :laugh:

• Haha 3

COVID-19 stopped work today so it was up to the shoot at first light, with the sun rising as I arrived the birds were already off roost, they are spread right throughout the shoot now, not in groups anymore so some hand feeding around the feed rides and shooting the odd squizzer off a couple of feeders ?

3448BAA4-FA8C-4CE0-B4A5-388666389BA0.jpeg

• Like 2

I was out first thing this morning, as I am every morning. But I thought I’d take the .243 with me and wait for the “famous fox “ that everyone is seeing in the mornings , everyone except me it would seem . So I had finished before the sun came up and I thought the sky looked interesting and beautiful. Anyway here is a picture. 
        I waited for the fox next to the paddock , I was having a read of THL adventures when the bird noises changed and , Jay’s and magpies started, and pheasants started cocking up , I put my phone down and got the rifle in my shoulder . The noise intensified and I was sure Charlie would put in his final appearance, but nothing showed my side of the hedge . Bugger !!!

D36ABF83-4428-4BFA-AB83-58100B166831.jpeg

• Like 9

Well I've been off work today with bad gout.

Eventually  I hobbled my way to a local estate that has not released any birds this time due to covid  but have been putting wheat out. The squirrels are huge. I only got a few and hobbled back to the car. Found some deer prints, possibly roe.

Drinking that much water I'm peeing like an old dog! Looks like I cant touch gin now also!

Bumped into this young hare pinching wheat

IMG_20201116_155648_299.jpg.32ed42ec788e0a60e2c4751e1ee1728c.jpg

• Like 7