Back up at the shoot

42 minutes ago, si brown said:

Here’s one for shot placement sl?

look on the deck, it didn’t move very far!

Last day of buck season, he had two hours to keep his head down before dark.. rare bullets them sst

First photo as I walked up to it, shot off stix at bout 170yard

ED04723D-F713-4387-861C-C77FEAAF5C0C.jpeg.1c5eaab73c28c777b4905f18b4448c35.jpegE33D983A-2C8B-45C9-90C1-95046801FDDC.jpeg.e640f94cc61fb9d22b2c4af4413cbdbd.jpegB03C1DE8-D97A-4BFE-BD2A-38DF840FFF72.jpeg.a11981210cd14a0482aafa848b933697.jpeg

Good shot si ?

• Thanks 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Good shot si ?

Cheers nige

To say them bergara’s are one of the cheapest rifles you can buy ive got more faith in it when I pull the trigger than any other gun I’ve owned!

was out last night with the .204 and missed a fox, it was a fair old distance and fairly windy like.. think it’s time the 6.5 had an outing dressed with the thermal?

• Like 3

I use to use sst bullets Si. Hornady products are good.

When I was using them they still had a lead tip!

Nothing wrong with cheaper rifles. Some might need some special treatment but I've never done bad with bargains.

I've had friends buy expensive rifles and have issues or shot no better!

Don't give up on the 204, those superfast rounds only have to hit a bug or blade of grass and its gone. You'd never know what happened. Saw a 17 Remington fail loads of times in the rain and a 22-250.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, si brown said:

Cheers nige

To say them bergara’s are one of the cheapest rifles you can buy ive got more faith in it when I pull the trigger than any other gun I’ve owned!

was out last night with the .204 and missed a fox, it was a fair old distance and fairly windy like.. think it’s time the 6.5 had an outing dressed with the thermal?

When I was looking for a foxing rifle I had my heart set on a .22-250 and speaking to the lad at Bradford Stalking ( up near FH) he showed me the Bergara and for the money it was a very nice bit of kit and I was going to have one, then he tried to get it in lefty for me and was told it would be special order and would take months to arrive and the price was getting up to Sako prices, in the end I made do with the Tikka .223 and although I didn’t really want one it’s turned out to be more than up to the job ?

• Like 2

A friend of mine got a Sako in the 22-250. He had quite a few failures. Shallow splash type wounds with a few bullets tried.

It reminded me of a Remington I had in 243 with deep rifling and it's bullets of any weight or type would explode!

Out of desperation I asked him to produce a load that mimics 223 velocities and the problems went!

Ofcourse he could not accept it so returned to full on 250 performance and yep, the fails reappeared,  hair and skin but no fox. Weired wounds on still alive fox's! It was not good. 

I suggested he gets the barrel lapped but he just looked at me funny.

The rifling was to deep or sharp, it was compromising the bullets jackets.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

A friend of mine got a Sako in the 22-250. He had quite a few failures. Shallow splash type wounds with a few bullets tried.

It reminded me of a Remington I had in 243 with deep rifling and it's bullets of any weight or type would explode!

Out of desperation I asked him to produce a load that mimics 223 velocities and the problems went!

Ofcourse he could not accept it so returned to full on 250 performance and yep, the fails reappeared,  hair and skin but no fox. Weired wounds on still alive fox's! It was not good. 

I suggested he gets the barrel lapped but he just looked at me funny.

The rifling was to deep or sharp, it was compromising the bullets jackets.

I had to many runners using 40grn vmax in my 204 and switched to 32grn sierras and they stopped running… nearly smashed rifle over a fence post one night cos I was fuming?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

When I was looking for a foxing rifle I had my heart set on a .22-250 and speaking to the lad at Bradford Stalking ( up near FH) he showed me the Bergara and for the money it was a very nice bit of kit and I was going to have one, then he tried to get it in lefty for me and was told it would be special order and would take months to arrive and the price was getting up to Sako prices, in the end I made do with the Tikka .223 and although I didn’t really want one it’s turned out to be more than up to the job ?

There based on a Remington 700 action with all the crap bits sorted out.. saw a lad I know at chicken farm on Sunday testing his 6.5 creedmore at long ranges he’d just put his in a grs stock, weighed a bloody ton:(

be easy and cheap to find a new stock but the bolt would still be on wrong side… I’m a bit weird and can load left or right but my right eye is dominant?

Personally I used to love my. 22/250 only reason I stopped using it was because I got my .243 T3 which is moderated . The .22/250 is extremely hard hitting and I never lost a fox or roe with it. I think it drops roe better than my .243 I should give it an airing and bring back some memories of how loud it is ??

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, si brown said:

There based on a Remington 700 action with all the crap bits sorted out.. saw a lad I know at chicken farm on Sunday testing his 6.5 creedmore at long ranges he’d just put his in a grs stock, weighed a bloody ton:(

be easy and cheap to find a new stock but the bolt would still be on wrong side… I’m a bit weird and can load left or right but my right eye is dominant?

I’m also a bit odd, I’m right handed but if I use anything like a golf club or hockey stick I use them left handed, but if it’s a racket or something where I only use 1 hand I use my right, I can’t even hold a gun properly right handed but can shoot a pistol with both, oh, and when winking I can only close my right eye and keep my left open, if I try to just close my left the both close ?

when I was looking at the Bergara I’d seen them before but hadn’t give them much attention, the lad in the shop said you won’t buy anything with a better barrel, they are made in Spain ( Bergara) at one point all they made was barrels for the military 

2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I use to use sst bullets Si. Hornady products are good.

When I was using them they still had a lead tip!

Nothing wrong with cheaper rifles. Some might need some special treatment but I've never done bad with bargains.

I've had friends buy expensive rifles and have issues or shot no better!

Don't give up on the 204, those superfast rounds only have to hit a bug or blade of grass and its gone. You'd never know what happened. Saw a 17 Remington fail loads of times in the rain and a 22-250.

Think this sites a bit fcuked on my phone, this is first time it’s shown this post?

the .204 is great and I like it a lot, easy and cheap to load for and it’s put down 30 odd fox’s since Christmas.. it didn’t like the vmax though:(

the one I did whack last night dropped on spot at about 200

57737C60-F13D-4A29-A5B0-D22E0D71E0EA.jpeg.62083436c48aa45e2f015be336b355c9.jpeg

• Like 7
6 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’m also a bit odd, I’m right handed but if I use anything like a golf club or hockey stick I use them left handed, but if it’s a racket or something where I only use 1 hand I use my right, I can’t even hold a gun properly right handed but can shoot a pistol with both, oh, and when winking I can only close my right eye and keep my left open, if I try to just close my left the both close ?

when I was looking at the Bergara I’d seen them before but hadn’t give them much attention, the lad in the shop said you won’t buy anything with a better barrel, they are made in Spain ( Bergara) at one point all they made was barrels for the military 

They make barrels for loads of companies but it’s not broadcast, it groups like you wouldn’t belive?

4 hours ago, si brown said:

Here’s one for shot placement sl?

look on the deck, it didn’t move very far!

Last day of buck season, he had two hours to keep his head down before dark.. rare bullets them sst

First photo as I walked up to it, shot off stix at bout 170yard

ED04723D-F713-4387-861C-C77FEAAF5C0C.jpeg.1c5eaab73c28c777b4905f18b4448c35.jpegE33D983A-2C8B-45C9-90C1-95046801FDDC.jpeg.e640f94cc61fb9d22b2c4af4413cbdbd.jpegB03C1DE8-D97A-4BFE-BD2A-38DF840FFF72.jpeg.a11981210cd14a0482aafa848b933697.jpeg

Perfect ?

• Thanks 1