Back up at the shoot

7 minutes ago, ianm said:

To be honest i have written two or three and for some reason the site wouldn't let me post them. I just got a message come up on screen saying error found. I tried to post directly from my documents and even tried doing it piece meal with little success. So it has put me off compiling an account of foxing trips just to have it sat in my document folder.

I had that a couple of times over the last couple of weeks, it seems to of sorted itself out now 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Feeding this morning and they are doing what they always do this time of year and that’s wander off first thing, they head for thick cover and if it’s a clear day they walk the field edges. What I need now is some murky dark days and some proper cold weather to keep them around the pens and the farm

back to the sheep farm tonight for another go, went last night, seen 4 and never got a shot a any of them, they are liking the vixen in heat call now

05A92965-8A1E-461E-AAFC-6E50873FB7A2.jpeg

5A779792-C693-436D-824A-F72951375601.jpeg

98C2DFCD-5295-4F80-ADB3-E23521F6E6FA.jpeg

• Like 2

Out this morning with Bert in search of the wily old pheasant,  a truly wild bird unlike its dopey released cousins. These birds are unreal spotting you from hundreds of yards away and off in a crack. Not much about this morning but managed my first woodcock of the season which Bert  flushed from a hedgerow ? Then he stopped by a bramble patch , stood on his back legs and scented the air , I knew this meant a pheasant so urged him on and in he went and flushed a cracking cock bird ?

20211113_122456.jpg

• Like 10
56 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Out this morning with Bert in search of the wily old pheasant,  a truly wild bird unlike its dopey released cousins. These birds are unreal spotting you from hundreds of yards away and off in a crack. Not much about this morning but managed my first woodcock of the season which Bert  flushed from a hedgerow ? Then he stopped by a bramble patch , stood on his back legs and scented the air , I knew this meant a pheasant so urged him on and in he went and flushed a cracking cock bird ?

20211113_122456.jpg

You getting many woodcock up your way, we have a few natives up at the shoot but I haven’t noticed any good numbers yet

28 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Get them fox's Stav ?

I’ll do my best, it’s not very often you see that amount in a night around here, I’d be over the moon if I managed 2 in a night ?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

No mate , it's the only 1 I saw.  They usually come in with the November moon . Good luck tonight think I will have a look myself.

It’s normally now to the end of November when they arrive at the shoot, I don’t like them shooting them before the end of December ( I have no reason for this ) and most of the guns won’t shoot at them at all, have you ever eaten one?

The old girl at the shoot gave me 3/4kg of brambles earlier and said they would do me for a bramble and apple pie, she doesn’t know me very well, second batch of bramble gin on the go ??

F884BC79-EB44-460F-AEF6-EFE5CD22B8CD.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Sometimes I feel like giving up, seen 4 gingers at the farm last night, spent 3 1/2 hours there tonight, tried a load of calls, nothing, I know the weather wasn’t ideal, very still, warm and a bright moon, but I thought I’d of at least seen one, I almost feel like packing it in and taking up golf ?☹️

• Sad 2
50 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Sometimes I feel like giving up, seen 4 gingers at the farm last night, spent 3 1/2 hours there tonight, tried a load of calls, nothing, I know the weather wasn’t ideal, very still, warm and a bright moon, but I thought I’d of at least seen one, I almost feel like packing it in and taking up golf ?☹️

Snap mate. Just got in now. Seen badgers, roe, hares, rabbits & sleepy tucked up partridge - but not a single ginger! Still, better than stopping in AND definitely better than golf!! 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Stavross said:

It’s normally now to the end of November when they arrive at the shoot, I don’t like them shooting them before the end of December ( I have no reason for this ) and most of the guns won’t shoot at them at all, have you ever eaten one?

They taste quite strong, darkish meat, very gamey.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Stavross said:

Well I had a look out too last night and called in this nice vixen after 12 mins , hare call came in great and stopped 20 yds off the caller. Only 1 I saw but a better specimen that the one Mr Sausage got .

DSC00143.JPG

• Like 4