Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Feeding today and they are right throughout the shoot now, partly because they are adult birds now going about their daily business and partly because we bothered them last Saturday, there wasn’t big numbers on the tracks but next door were shooting and there was a few dog walkers about, by the time I left about half 1 they were on the feed and heading back up the fields towards the farm and pens, I’m confident that they are hanging around because they are taking a lot of feed, so that’s a good thing ?

I wasn’t going to mention this ( and I’m glad I was on my own ) but seen as Mr Sausage showed us how we all used to do it, I thought I’d tell you about my catastrophe last night at the sheep farm, I’d set up along a fence and set away with the mouth caller, it was about 10 minutes and I’d spotted a fox a long way off through the thermal that was coming towards me across the middle of next doors field, it was still a long way off and I was still giving it a squeak on the caller, when for some reason I had a look round the field I was in with the thermal, as I looked to my right there was a fox coming towards me flat out no more than 20 yards away, I mounted the rifle on the sticks, turned on the NV and IR as the fox did a runner to the bottom of the field, a few blasts on the caller and it stopped on the corner fence, now I was all over on the stick trying to get on the fox before it disappeared through the hedge, as soon as I pulled the trigger I knew I’d missed it ? now I’m not saying I would of hit it on the lamp but there would of been a bit less faffing about and maybe a few more seconds to get steady on the bugger 

BB3E9BA2-469F-4724-AEAD-10F0546E53E6.jpeg

4B086C17-57F2-456B-BEF2-23B17E5C6A5D.jpeg

7BC9E56B-844F-4E31-80F6-C1F747B06C7F.jpeg

• Like 1

It was the faffing that put me off Stav.

No doubt a thermal device would let me stalk lamp shy but heck, most of them get sorted that pass through here anyway. I play the lamp shy ones differently anyway. Early morning or fresh cut grass on summers eves usually gets them.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

No doubt a thermal device would let me stalk lamp shy but heck, most of them get sorted that pass through here anyway. I play the lamp shy ones differently anyway. Early morning or fresh cut grass on summers eves usually gets them.

As you’ll know I’m quite new to all this technology and I’m still getting used to it, I really like the thermal but you can sometimes find yourself looking at something a long way off and not paying attention to what’s around you ( last night was a prime example of this ) as for the NV that’s set before I set off and that’s just one button and it’s on and ready, I still love going out with the lamp and day scope, even better if I’ve got a lamp man with me, but they are getting hard to find these day’s, nobody seems to like the great outdoors now

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Stavross said:

As you’ll know I’m quite new to all this technology and I’m still getting used to it, I really like the thermal but you can sometimes find yourself looking at something a long way off and not paying attention to what’s around you ( last night was a prime example of this ) as for the NV that’s set before I set off and that’s just one button and it’s on and ready, I still love going out with the lamp and day scope, even better if I’ve got a lamp man with me, but they are getting hard to find these day’s, nobody seems to like the great outdoors now

Yep, lots of folk have the gear but when it comes to getting off zee arse and getting out there they struggle.  I do sometimes! But come a good session with some excitement and nothing beats it.

Beats TV any way!

• Like 3
On 01/11/2021 at 17:06, shovel leaner said:

We had Kate Garraway on the shoot over the summer. The estate was approached and the production team turned up and spent time researching the area . They asked for local characters and interesting people, needless to say the Gamekeeper didn’t fit into their narrative. 
            Anyway, in spite of me not having a TV license ( I detest everything the BBC stand for ) I watched it . It showed the shoot , she even had her picnic next to one of the cover crops . I am even on it , blink and you will miss my ATV driving past the church (drone footage ) . Talking of drones , they got it stuck in the top of an oak tree , all of a sudden they wanted to know the gamekeeper , as I was asked to shoot it out of the branches . It was surprising that it is filmed as if it’s just Kate going on a walk with a GoPro on a selfie stick . But reality is there was a film crew , sound crew and producers . Load of bollocks really . 

70A5032D-2C3F-4959-B935-53CD4F83F714.jpeg

Just seen a scud like object whizzing past ? 

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

Just seen a scud like object whizzing past ? 

I’ve just watched that too, ? 

she should of stopped off for a chat with SL, instead of a potter and a stitcher, that’s if she could catch up with him, bombing about like that

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Me too , I find the lamp a lot quicker for  spotting and getting onto the fox quicker than faffing about spotting through a thermal and then having to find it again with nv. The 2 I shot on Saturday night didnt mind the lamp ?

• Like 1

The thing I’ve found with the thermal is nothing escapes it, you can use a lamp or NV and not see what’s there, I’ve seen far more using thermal ( apart from the one that crept up on me last night ?) over the past few months, especially where there’s thick cover, you might not know what it is but it gives you something to have a look at, it’s paid off a few times lately where I would of walked past a fox on the sheep farm and the shoot

still if you are doing it for the sport of it, nothing beats going out with a mate and a lamp to see what you can find ?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ianm said:

These two copped it with the usual combination of thermal spotter and n/v scope last friday night.

DSC00201.JPG

DSC00202.JPG

What’s going on here ? Where’s the write up for me to enjoy with a cup of tea and a flapjack, are you saving them for your memoirs ??

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stavross said:

What’s going on here ? Where’s the write up for me to enjoy with a cup of tea and a flapjack, are you saving them for your memoirs ??

To be honest i have written two or three and for some reason the site wouldn't let me post them. I just got a message come up on screen saying error found. I tried to post directly from my documents and even tried doing it piece meal with little success. So it has put me off compiling an account of foxing trips just to have it sat in my document folder.

• Sad 3