Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, Stavross said:

They got absolutely battered, the 2 MP’s that backed them were made to look very foolish but as you say, they will just carry on

Their arguments are based on reason , just emotion . It’s them and us . Snowflakes against common sense . It’s creeping into every aspect of our lives . What a crazy f@cked up world we live in . If our sport was carried out by transgender , disabled black kids , we would be safe , or would we ????

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Their arguments are based on reason , just emotion . It’s them and us . Snowflakes against common sense . It’s creeping into every aspect of our lives . What a crazy f@cked up world we live in . If our sport was carried out by transgender , disabled black kids , we would be safe , or would we ????

It should read aren’t based on reason.Doh

Right, that’s the pens finished, 8 posts replaced and a bit of wire put back up, it seems the fallow had decided to use the back of the forestry pen as a short cut, trampling the wire and pulling it into the bracken. Now it’s IBC’s filled and feeders repaired and put out, I still have a good few birds kicking about mainly along the edge of a field of rape ( I say rape, the whole crop is full of Poppy’s, I’m not sure what’s going on there )a good way from the pen’s, so that’s a good thing, there was a hen with 4 poults around the farm, speaking to the landlady she said it had 7 to start with and the young that are left are now 5 weeks old. 

0A3D408F-8136-4EC5-8142-C544A58A819D.jpeg

ACA3ABE0-D92F-4FFA-9EFD-FDB8B8A6693B.jpeg

60B5DCC1-3D4D-4338-8AB2-59D1E5148CE0.jpeg

• Like 6
7 hours ago, Stavross said:

They got absolutely battered, the 2 MP’s that backed them were made to look very foolish but as you say, they will just carry on

Dear Ben,

Thank you for contacting me about driven grouse shooting.

I understand that many people have strongly held views about this subject. I too want to see a vibrant, working countryside enhanced by a diverse environment. While there are no current plans to carry out a review of the management of grouse moors, I recognise that it is vital that wildlife and habitats are respected and protected, and that the country’s conservation laws are observed, which are among the toughest in the world.

It is important to recognise, however, the conservation and economic benefits that shooting sports bring to rural communities. It is estimated that shooting as a whole is worth about £2 billion a year to the economy, much of it in some of our remotest communities, and supports thousands of jobs.

Finally, it is worth noting that all wild birds are protected from illegal killing by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Raptor persecution, including of hen harriers, is a national wildlife crime priority and there are strong penalties in place for offences committed against birds of prey, as well as other wildlife. I know that most wildlife crimes carry up to an unlimited fine and/or a six-month custodial sentence.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. I am pleased that Ministers will continue to work to ensure a sustainable, mutually beneficial relationship between shooting and conservation.

With my best wishes,
Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP

• Like 2

What I find odd is if they had managed to ban grouse shooting it would be on every news channel and in every paper, but for some reason the various shooting organisations seem to be very bad at dealing with media or publicising the work they do and what they stand for, another good reason to join fieldsports britain, theses fellas seem to be the only ones producing good quality media coverage in support of shooting 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

Right, that’s the pens finished, 8 posts replaced and a bit of wire put back up, it seems the fallow had decided to use the back of the forestry pen as a short cut, trampling the wire and pulling it into the bracken. Now it’s IBC’s filled and feeders repaired and put out, I still have a good few birds kicking about mainly along the edge of a field of rape ( I say rape, the whole crop is full of Poppy’s, I’m not sure what’s going on there )a good way from the pen’s, so that’s a good thing, there was a hen with 4 poults around the farm, speaking to the landlady she said it had 7 to start with and the young that are left are now 5 weeks old. 

0A3D408F-8136-4EC5-8142-C544A58A819D.jpeg

ACA3ABE0-D92F-4FFA-9EFD-FDB8B8A6693B.jpeg

60B5DCC1-3D4D-4338-8AB2-59D1E5148CE0.jpeg

I like how you digressed there Stavross ?

• Like 1

The flys are a walk in the park stav… was on the dales rabbiting with a mate a couple of weeks back, first half hour was ace then the midges came out?

what a fckin nightmare I couldn’t handle it, love it over that way but them b@stard things are something else

13 minutes ago, si brown said:

The flys are a walk in the park stav… was on the dales rabbiting with a mate a couple of weeks back, first half hour was ace then the midges came out?

what a fckin nightmare I couldn’t handle it, love it over that way but them b@stard things are something else

I’ve had a few days/ evenings out when the midge have brought an end to the shooting early because I just didn’t want to shoot whatever I was after enough to put up with been eaten alive 

second on the list of horrible bastar*ds is when I’m out when they are combining and you get covered in the little weevil things, feels like your hole skin is crawling 

• Sad 2