Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

My mate called to say his mates hens were being taken by a fox and could we sort it. So yesterday evening went through an hour before dark to suss the job .We were at the top of a sloping horse paddock with a good field of view. As it was dusking I played the cub call and immediately a vixen was screaming in from around 600 yds away.  Told my mate to get ready telling him it would come through bottom hedge which it did , I muted caller , fox stopped ......no shot and off it went. Couldn't believe it , asked my mate what happened and said he couldn't see it ? told him to go to Specsavers , his eyesight is terrible. Called again thinking dog fox may be about ,played the usual calls with no luck so switched to Vixen mating call and had a dog fox screaming in , luckily he could see this one and got a result ? So got 1 but should have been 2 , need to go back now ?

20210429_220044.jpg

• Like 7

A run up to the shoot to top my 2 feeders up I’ve still got on the go, I had a walk over the piggeries drives where I was greeted by a dozen kids running around in the woods, from the campsite a couple of field over, now not wanting to terrify them ( big old bloke with a rifle over his shoulder) I softly gathered them up and explain to them that they couldn’t be in the woods and needed to go back to the playing fields around the site, the place is like a wildlife desert now the site is back open ☹️, so back up to the farm for some .223 rabbit busting, I found what was left of one of last year’s victims 

F01BAC3D-DC5A-467C-B168-4F72086C64E8.jpeg

1E3ACCEE-1C79-45C4-949D-6DBD9A2CE769.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 3

I popped out yesterday evening to try for a fox that's giving me the runaround.  Set up and set the caller away with cub distress for around 15 mins with no response. On turning round and checking behind me I spotted a cracking mature 6 pointer browsing a hawthorn. I was already set up on my bipod  so just had to manoeuvre round a little and the shot was on. He was perfect broadside,  I dropped him on the spot at around 200 yds taking the top of his heart off , pleased with that. Then for the awesome drag back to the motor.

20210501_200732.jpg

• Like 4

Another go at the egg units/cricket pitch/ stables for the rabbits, bumped into the owner when I got there and he said go wherever you want, which was nice of him, I got the rifle out the back and realised I’d left my sticks up at the shoot last night ( bugger ) so free hand it would have to be, now I can’t remember the last time I shot without sticks and it showed. I still accounted for 19 in a little over an hour, missing a good half dozen, this place is a ferreting lads dream, every hedge back is just one big set, with access to both sides, when I was leaving I bumped into another lad who asked if I could clear the rabbits up at a championship football clubs training ground, so I gave him my number and with a bit of luck something will come of it 

80D1D7FB-2C74-4F50-8A0E-6DCDE58CA83B.jpeg

0F4275DE-3D89-400D-A35C-A00B68423FED.jpeg

1526B3D5-BEB7-4FA7-A415-43A308A522C6.jpeg

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Nice outing mate , need to have a session on them myself soon ?

There’s certainly a good few kicking around this place, it’s a shame I didn’t get it 6 months ago before all the young came along, I’d much rather shoot adult rabbits, half of what I shot tonight was a few weeks about ground, but it’s pest control and a hour out over the summer when all the crops are to high on a lot of my other land ?