Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Stavross said:

Another go at the egg units/cricket pitch/ stables for the rabbits, bumped into the owner when I got there and he said go wherever you want, which was nice of him, I got the rifle out the back and realised I’d left my sticks up at the shoot last night ( bugger ) so free hand it would have to be, now I can’t remember the last time I shot without sticks and it showed. I still accounted for 19 in a little over an hour, missing a good half dozen, this place is a ferreting lads dream, every hedge back is just one big set, with access to both sides, when I was leaving I bumped into another lad who asked if I could clear the rabbits up at a championship football clubs training ground, so I gave him my number and with a bit of luck something will come of it 

80D1D7FB-2C74-4F50-8A0E-6DCDE58CA83B.jpeg

0F4275DE-3D89-400D-A35C-A00B68423FED.jpeg

1526B3D5-BEB7-4FA7-A415-43A308A522C6.jpeg

She's gonna be mad at you for stinking the boot out! 

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

She’s just went mad ? she wanted some disposable gloves for cleaning her rabbits out and thought they were in my car, ( I took them out last night and put them in the garage) she went and opened the boot and was greeted by a pile of one of her favourite fluffy tw*ts ?

Edited by Stavross
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

I’ve just got in the car to take a few for baiting up, I’d say it was fragrant with a hint of death ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
22 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ve just got in the car to take a few for baiting up, I’d say it was fragrant with a hint of death ?

Not a nice smell at all, I can’t bring myself to eat them... there rank?

37 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Inside of rabbit one of rankest smells 

2 hours ago, Stavross said:

I forgot about a couple of squirrels in the back of my truck for about four days in summer. When I opened the door?

They had seeped their juices out and glued themselves to the mat. Had to leave the windows down for a bit after that?

• Haha 2
28 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

I forgot about a couple of squirrels in the back of my truck for about four days in summer. When I opened the door?

They had seeped their juices out and glued themselves to the mat. Had to leave the windows down for a bit after that?

Many years ago when I first started keeping my own sheep, had a ewe that did what sheep do. Mid summer & been there a day. I rented ground in a school near Burton, couldn't leave it there but knackers couldn't collect for couple days. So I borrow mates combo van and lump her in back. Driving with windows wide open. At some point to bakewell the bag slipped off her head and she oozed juice everywhere. Wouldn't be so bad but he'd had inside of van boarded out few weeks earlier! The smell went after couple days but he never shifted that stain!! 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, si brown said:

Not a nice smell at all, I can’t bring myself to eat them... there rank?

I used to love it when I was a kid, even more so if I’d hunted it myself and the old man did a rabbit stew with it, but after years of gutting hundreds of the things I can’t stomach it now, even when cooked I still get the aroma of innards ?

Took my hoppers from last night to the shoot and set up a bait station on the ride at the piggeries, all the crop is getting a bit long now for calling them into the fields and I know there’s still one or two about  over here, with a bit of luck these will end up been the last supper ?

81436B8A-06F6-470A-A8C1-68C9BFBCD161.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Took my hopper from last night to the shoot and set up a bait station on the ride at the piggeries, all the crop is getting a bit long now for calling them into the fields and I know there’s still one or two above over here, with a bit of luck these will end up been the last supper ?

81436B8A-06F6-470A-A8C1-68C9BFBCD161.jpeg

Crikey that Robin Foxer bloke has let himself go a bit!! 

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Inside of rabbit one of rankest smells 

When my lass’s brother was a lad an old keeper took him under his wing, he was only young and put himself forward for a night foxing!

his hands were that cold that the keeper shot two rabbits for him to stick his hands in and keep warm... that’s Yorkshire hospitality for you?

• Haha 5

When a mate of mine takes the dog out and his hands are cold he waits for it to have a sh*t, puts it in two separate bags and put them in his pockets, the dirty bast*rd, no idea why he can’t buy himself a pair of gloves 

• Haha 3