Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

That does look posh ...... am I a heathen for thinking I’d like more spuds with it ? 

That's the trouble with posh grub, you need a kebab on way home! And don't get me started with when they serve froth on your plate!! 

• Haha 1
On 14/03/2021 at 17:34, Stavross said:

I mentioned that to him the other day, I think he wants to do a few more roe first ? I’ve never done a fallow, the last one I shot the lad I was out with did all the proper work, they are a big beast 

As long as they keep coming I'll keep butchering them?? I'll even have a go at a fallow if one presents itself while out. Once it's broke down into primals it's easiest to work on.   ( get me sounding all professional with the terminology ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 13/03/2021 at 23:45, FOXHUNTER said:

Pity you didnt get onto one,  you need the deer magnet ??

Stav said you were a deer magnet? 4 times Stav n me have been out and came home empty handed?

Still nice to get out though for a mooch even if you don't let a shot off. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Longshanx said:

Stav said you were a deer magnet? 4 times Stav n me have been out and came home empty handed?

Still nice to get out though for a mooch even if you don't let a shot off. 

Be all the sweeter when you eventually grass one ? I do seem to attract deer for some reason ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Be all the sweeter when you eventually grass one ? I do seem to attract deer for some reason ?

It could be a bit of luck , but it’s more than likely years of experience a really good eye and patience , and the ability to predict what deer will do .
              Have you heard the expression “ a hunters eye “ ? It’s the ability to spot animals in cover or even in plain sight . I’ve been out with new stalkers and I spot deer way before them and even have to literally point them out . “ How did you see that “? It’s not magic , just lots of hours looking for foxes and deer . And it’s having those hours and that practice that gives you the advantage of spotting that deer early , stopping , not keeping on walking and spooking them . I don’t think Foxhunter is a lucky talisman, just an experienced stalker , and maybe a jammy git  too ?

• Like 5
On 14/03/2021 at 17:34, Stavross said:

I mentioned that to him the other day, I think he wants to do a few more roe first ? I’ve never done a fallow, the last one I shot the lad I was out with did all the proper work, they are a big beast 

Should see the reds here, coz I'm a lazy ole twat I have to quarter em to move em ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

It could be a bit of luck , but it’s more than likely years of experience a really good eye and patience , and the ability to predict what deer will do .
              Have you heard the expression “ a hunters eye “ ? It’s the ability to spot animals in cover or even in plain sight . I’ve been out with new stalkers and I spot deer way before them and even have to literally point them out . “ How did you see that “? It’s not magic , just lots of hours looking for foxes and deer . And it’s having those hours and that practice that gives you the advantage of spotting that deer early , stopping , not keeping on walking and spooking them . I don’t think Foxhunter is a lucky talisman, just an experienced stalker , and maybe a jammy git  too ?

Spot on , many years of experience ?

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

You need a manservant ,a pony or 1 of Ben,s trained sheep ??

Should train some of our goats up to be pack goats ? our sheep are too stupid, all on keeping thier feet the right way up. 

They used to use well trained ponies out on the bog to bring beast back, they'd roll over bog so as not to sink, days long gone! Straps, long ropes and a winch on the quad helps, I'll be buggered doing twenty + miles out there now ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2