Back up at the shoot

13 hours ago, Stavross said:

Well, there’s a weekend to forget, Friday night, up to the sheep farm, the moon was like daylight and the wind was all wrong for where I wanted to be, seen nowt. Yesterday’s plan was to go and get longshanx a roe, couldn’t go where I wanted because the keeper was out after them there so we went to longshanx’s place, seen nowt ( but it was a nice walk out at first light. Tonight my mate asked if we could go up to the shoot because he’d been there today and seen evidence of a fox, so I met him there just before dark, he asked if he could shoot, now we’ve had problems in the past and he’s served a couple of bans. We headed over to the piggeries and had a call for an hour or so in a couple of different spots, nothing showed so we moved to the rear of the farm. Started with the hare call and after 15 minutes pheasants started going mental in the wood, switched the call to pheasant distress and in two minutes a fox appeared at the wood edge, he’s up on his quad chop sticks ( I still can’t get him to use trigger sticks )the fox was moving down the wood towards us, he’s having to lift his sticks to follow it, it go to within 110 yards ish and I switched the caller off to stop it, he let one go and missed, then in quick succession another 2 as the fox trotted off down the wood side, another 2 missed, it was like he was shooting driven boar, he then said, “ I rushed that last shot” I couldn’t say anything, I was that annoyed ?, he’s looking at a lifetime foxing ban for this 

If this is the geezer that gut shot a fox i wouldn't entertain going out with him again. He is a liability and just making your job harder. Mate or no mate you need to tell him he isn't up to the job and isn't shooting again.

• Like 2

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Does he have his own rifle & perms Stav, or is it just when he get chance with you? 

Maybe he's intimidated by your manly physique; I'll take him out- he'd not have that issue then!! ?

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, ianm said:

If this is the geezer that gut shot a fox i wouldn't entertain going out with him again. He is a liability and just making your job harder. Mate or no mate you need to tell him he isn't up to the job and isn't shooting again.

The very same Ian ☹️ I know that certain types of shooting don’t suit everyone, for me it’s shotguns, I get very frustrated with my shooting, for him it’s centre fire, the difference is I wouldn’t randomly start firing shots off out of frustration or excitement, it’s not like he’s new to it, he’s been shooting over 20 years 

25 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Does he have his own rifle & perms Stav, or is it just when he get chance with you? 

Maybe he's intimidated by your manly physique; I'll take him out- he'd not have that issue then!! ?

At the minute he has his own perms but no rifles, it wouldn’t be right for me to go into it on here ?

3 hours ago, Stavross said:

I don’t mind a miss but it’s when they rattle another 2 at it and miss, paying no attention to where they are shooting, just over excited about seeing a fox and pulling a trigger 

Schoolboy stuff. Better off going on your own if that's the case as making job harder.

Popped up the shoot this afternoon to try and find the roe with the broken leg I saw the other day. Never saw it but did spy a roe couched up behind a log. Luckily it was facing away from me as it was only 60 yds away ,which enabled me to get on the quads. Shot a nice doe in the back of the head ? 

20210302_160300.jpg

20210302_154039.jpg

• Like 4