Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

My attempts to keep on top of the rats has been hampered recently by somebody nicking fenn traps. So a bit of a Friday afternoon project for me was to cut off the chain loop connectors and mig some 8mm wire rope on instead. I’ve made loops on the other end for fixing to trees, posts etc. I don’t think they’ll be snipping these off so easy, but we’ll see? 

F037B5BC-4895-4B9F-9355-93C49A37DC34.jpeg

370CFC61-EE03-487A-8879-89BF7B612ADD.jpeg

8990E1D2-E56D-403A-BB53-9B43F647C259.jpeg

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

My attempts to keep on top of the rats has been hampered recently by somebody nicking fenn traps. So a bit of a Friday afternoon project for me was to cut off the chain loop connectors and mig some 8mm wire rope on instead. I’ve made loops on the other end for fixing to trees, posts etc. I don’t think they’ll be snipping these off so easy, but we’ll see? 

F037B5BC-4895-4B9F-9355-93C49A37DC34.jpeg

370CFC61-EE03-487A-8879-89BF7B612ADD.jpeg

8990E1D2-E56D-403A-BB53-9B43F647C259.jpeg

Antis mate ya reckons? Or rats with bolt croppers?? 

4 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Antis mate ya reckons? Or rats with bolt croppers?? 

I don’t know Ben, somebody keeps nicking them. I’m running 17 fenns at the moment, but every now and again a few go missing. If they’re taking them to use them I don’t know, obviously they haven’t located some of them as they always go from the same places. Same with larsens, I have to keep moving them about and trying to hide them as somebody let’s the call birds out, and sometimes smashes the trap. I don’t know if it’s the same person, but that is the work of antis for sure.

Right, so the story goes, I’ve got a fox up at the sheep farm that’s giving me the right run around, I’ve been up 4 times in the last week, see it every time, normally around the pig units on the farm next door. Tonight we headed to the far end of the farm, now this thing won’t come in to any call, after half an hour my mate picked it up in the thermal heading down next doors field towards us, I thought, we are on, then it stopped and turned left and headed away from us. Bugger, so that was that, let’s go home. Heading back to the farm I was giving a few squeaks with the caller and my mate was scanning with the thermal. Bingo, a fox in front of us, Bugger, it’s winded us and off across the field flat out, I’m up on the sticks and my mate gives it a massive Oi, it stopped for a split second before carrying on running another Oi and it stopped again this time I was smack on it and down it went into a puddle, my mate went and collected it and paced it out to 273, very happy with that from the .223, one happy farmer, I’ve just got to get the other one now

A74BFDBD-74E2-494F-8272-B1627A95D54C.jpeg

35EB01BA-5339-45E3-8233-0D8530505F1A.jpeg

• Like 7