Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Well I’ve got two traps out , and I will sit out again tonight. If a dog has moved them or I don’t catch them in the traps it just means they have won this round . If they stay on the estate, sooner or later I will catch up with them. I just hope it’s before my birds turn up and they start helping themselves to the poult buffet .?

5CCC4C7E-91BD-493F-A9C0-E1CEE8103652.jpeg

D9F877B4-CF28-4FED-90B7-433905D18D26.jpeg

• Like 5

Here is an update on the cubs . Empty traps this morning. But they haven’t been moved , and are still there . I spent an hour there at dusk and saw them in the hedge with my thermal. I reckon they are getting hungry now as there was a dried up dead blackbird outside the earth yesterday , that has now been eaten . 
          The chicken farmer ?‍? bailed his hay yesterday, so I went for a final look at those fields last night . To access the fields it’s a lot of walking, unless I park near a few houses in a lay-by . It’s always been my worry that I’m seen with a rifle and someone calls the police . So as a precaution I always make a phone call and let them know of my intentions. Well last night this female call handler answers who was bloody rude . “Why do you have to kill the foxes “? “ The chickens are going to die anyway “. “ I found myself explaining that they were egg layers and started to justify my actions. At the end of the call after she had taken all my details, name , car reg , all the usual , I said “so you’ve got all that “? “ I won’t have the armed response unit called out now will I “? Her answer was “ well as long as what you’ve told me is true , and you haven’t broken the law then I suppose you won’t “. Talk about unprofessional and childish, it puts me off calling them . Anyway the journey wasn’t in vain as I managed a big dog fox which I saw scavenging around the middle of a 20 acre field , a couple of squeaks had him running at me like a greyhound “Oi” he stopped in his tracks about 40 meters away and I head shot it . The picture is too graphic for your delicate sensibilities so sorry guys no pictures today . 

• Like 6
17 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Here is an update on the cubs . Empty traps this morning. But they haven’t been moved , and are still there . I spent an hour there at dusk and saw them in the hedge with my thermal. I reckon they are getting hungry now as there was a dried up dead blackbird outside the earth yesterday , that has now been eaten . 
          The chicken farmer ?‍? bailed his hay yesterday, so I went for a final look at those fields last night . To access the fields it’s a lot of walking, unless I park near a few houses in a lay-by . It’s always been my worry that I’m seen with a rifle and someone calls the police . So as a precaution I always make a phone call and let them know of my intentions. Well last night this female call handler answers who was bloody rude . “Why do you have to kill the foxes “? “ The chickens are going to die anyway “. “ I found myself explaining that they were egg layers and started to justify my actions. At the end of the call after she had taken all my details, name , car reg , all the usual , I said “so you’ve got all that “? “ I won’t have the armed response unit called out now will I “? Her answer was “ well as long as what you’ve told me is true , and you haven’t broken the law then I suppose you won’t “. Talk about unprofessional and childish, it puts me off calling them . Anyway the journey wasn’t in vain as I managed a big dog fox which I saw scavenging around the middle of a 20 acre field , a couple of squeaks had him running at me like a greyhound “Oi” he stopped in his tracks about 40 meters away and I head shot it . The picture is too graphic for your delicate sensibilities so sorry guys no pictures today . 

You should have got her name & put in a complaint. If they expect/appreciate folk calling in to tell them, then they should ensure its done professionally without any personal opinions colouring things their end.

I've found myself justifying caring for lambs before with that same argument "you're just going to kill it anyway". Really winds me up.

• Like 2

I never bother ringing the police, I know why in some cases people do because it can save a bit of bother from so called do gooders, some people ring them just out of spite, on more than one occasion people have rang the land owner when they see me and I have no problem with this, I’ve had a couple of run ins with the police, once I was stopped when leaving some ground by a traffic car, as she approached me I dropped the window and before she could say anything I explained there was a rifle in the back, the look of horror on her face was a picture, she shouted at me to stay there and ran back to her car, she obviously called a firearms unit and after 20 minutes they turned up, they were more interested in the rifle than me ( I had the HMR with me and they were amazed by it ) I asked if they wanted to have a go but they said they were a bit busy, we had a laugh about their traffic officers reaction, it was an hours inconvenience for me but I refuse to  justify myself to people who have no idea what I’m doing or  that I stick to the letter of the law, after they spoke to me they said they were going to have a word with the traffic officer ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well done on the fox. I have never rang 101 before up until I was going out during lockdown for fox control and luckily have always been treat politely . You should complain about that call handler as it is not their job to give out their opinion,  puts you off ringing them again. I once had armed response called out on me when I was pigeon shooting,  it was when raoul moat was on the run in the North East . There was a helicopter and 4 cars  , it was a bit worrying having to leave my hide with 2 officers with rifles pointed at me ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Well done on the fox. I have never rang 101 before up until I was going out during lockdown for fox control and luckily have always been treat politely . You should complain about that call handler as it is not their job to give out their opinion,  puts you off ringing them again. I once had armed response called out on me when I was pigeon shooting,  it was when raoul moat was on the run in the North East . There was a helicopter and 4 cars  , it was a bit worrying having to leave my hide with 2 officers with rifles pointed at me ?

You were lucky it was the police and not gazza with chicken and a fishing rod ?

• Haha 6

Exactly why I don't phone, they don't get it.

In this day and age there could be a computer you text and that then distributes a code to operating police in that area. No explaining needed for dumb vegan opinions to surface above their duty!

Idiots.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

You should have got her name & put in a complaint. If they expect/appreciate folk calling in to tell them, then they should ensure its done professionally without any personal opinions colouring things their end.

I've found myself justifying caring for lambs before with that same argument "you're just going to kill it anyway". Really winds me up.

It’s the first time it’s happened Ben.  Normally they are professional about it . I suppose I should have got her name and complained . 

• Like 1

You should have, if you have the decancy to ring them to save problems why should she lecture you. 

If i said what i thought to some of the clown's i give first aid to id be sacked. 

Nowt worse than a fascist vegan in full flow

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well done on shooting the fox.

Do yourself a favour and make an official complaint, you don't need her details as the call will be logged along with who took it. I would also email the PCC for your area complaining in the strongest terms also email your chief constable. That kind of shit needs stamping on as forcefully as possible.

Don't let it go, it's wrong.

• Like 6
20 hours ago, ianm said:

Well done on shooting the fox.

Do yourself a favour and make an official complaint, you don't need her details as the call will be logged along with who took it. I would also email the PCC for your area complaining in the strongest terms also email your chief constable. That kind of shit needs stamping on as forcefully as possible.

Don't let it go, it's wrong.

I spoke to one of the guns on the shoot I keeper yesterday who happens to be a retired chief inspector . He thinks I should complain too . I’ve got the incident number of that days date , so they will know who she is . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I spoke to one of the guns on the shoot I keeper yesterday who happens to be a retired chief inspector . He thinks I should complain too . I’ve got the incident number of that days date , so they will know who she is . 

Sometimes you just have to do these things. If she gets away with it this time it will be a green light for her to dish out more abuse.

It needs stamping on now. 

• Like 1