Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Had a nice little Boxing Day shoot . The boys managed to mug/ shoot 41 pheasant and two pigeon. In the pre shoot talk I expressly said “ no ground game “ , well I think some of the birds today , although on the wing , might fall into the “ ground game “ category. But nobody was injured, and it was a great way to work off some over indulgence. 
          We only walk around the boundary on the one side of the shoot. A neighbouring farm puts a few birds down and it’s like a buffer zone between the two shooting interests . I won’t call it a shoot because it’s not , they used to just feed our birds onto their land , until I kicked off about it and smashed their feeders up , and got the land agent to threaten to put the rent up on the land they rent of the estate. A compromise was reached and they now put their own birds down . 
       But we did a couple of mini drives which were fun . I love seeing someone who talks a good shot miss,  and a modest self deprecating person fold the bird up first barrel. It happened today and I did one of those loud false laughs and was joined in a chorus of piss taking and venomous laughter that had the braggart almost in the foetal position. 
         A memorable day , and as one of the old boys always says “ that’s another one they can’t take off us”.

23B5658E-EBC6-4C4F-85F3-803AD9F485B5.jpeg

• Like 6

Boxing Day Shoot and all the snow had melted..... I creaked my neck on Christmas Eve so never took my gun this morning and purely intended on not shooting. After the duck drive which I never shot 1 of the other guns gave me his o/u Beretta as he said he wasnt bothered about shooting. Now I have never shot o/u I have always had a sxs so never thought I would hit anything ? anyway I shot a couple of driven pheasants, 2 woodcock and a snipe so didnt do too bad ? It was freezing where we are on the exposed tops so glad to be indoors now to thaw out ....

20201226_115700.jpg

20201226_124903.jpg

20201226_125435.jpg

• Like 6
1 minute ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Boxing Day Shoot and all the snow had melted..... I creaked my neck on Christmas Eve so never took my gun this morning and purely intended on not shooting. After the duck drive which I never shot 1 of the other guns gave me his o/u Beretta as he said he wasnt bothered about shooting. Now I have never shot o/u I have always had a sxs so never thought I would hit anything ? anyway I shot a couple of driven pheasants, 2 woodcock and a snipe so didnt do too bad ? It was freezing where we are on the exposed tops so glad to be indoors now to thaw out ....

20201226_115700.jpg

20201226_124903.jpg

20201226_125435.jpg

A good day out . Might the new year see FH trade his rusty old musket in for a shiny new OU ?

Just now, FOXHUNTER said:

No mate I will stick with my rusty sxs rattler. Too old to change now ?

Fair play . I was looking at the ground in the background of the woodcock and snipe picture and it looks like real good rough shooting ground . Do you get many snipe on it ?

1 minute ago, shovel leaner said:

Fair play . I was looking at the ground in the background of the woodcock and snipe picture and it looks like real good rough shooting ground . Do you get many snipe on it ?

It's perfect snipe ground but for some reason none about this season although other seasons quite a few. I cant work it out as we have wet , boggy, rushy fields out the back of the ground which honestly are perfect but no snipe this season , maybe if it froze a bit it might attract a few more.Snipe are my favourite sporting bird ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FOXHUNTER said:

It's perfect snipe ground but for some reason none about this season although other seasons quite a few. I cant work it out as we have wet , boggy, rushy fields out the back of the ground which honestly are perfect but no snipe this season , maybe if it froze a bit it might attract a few more.Snipe are my favourite sporting bird ?

I love snipe , really hard to shoot . I think you are right , if you get some hard frost or a big freeze it will concentrate them .

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I love snipe , really hard to shoot . I think you are right , if you get some hard frost or a big freeze it will concentrate them .

Never had much snipe shooting but did get a first two seasons back, a snipe with a muzzleloader. May never repeat it again.

IMG_20181228_094940392.jpg.0f02b8dcfcaa94acd4b3aa38961727f5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Second one was one of those where I knew I’d hit it but guns either said said no .Eventually a lab found it hung up in a holly bush .Shut a few up that day lol.I’m no great game shot but have my moments like any other mediocre shot .Airguns mind ,world class .

• Like 1