Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Well the 410 day went well. Weather was nice for a change, no rain!

The total bag was sixty five head.

I let my grandson shoot the last drive. He has never shot my 410 but he did alright with it. He killed a nice dark cock pheasant (his first ) and a normal coloured cock. 

DSC00115_LI.jpg

• Like 5
5 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Got invited to my mates for a duck flight as the geese have been dropping in regular and I have never shot geese coming in to a pond . Well it was a very quiet night with the geese a no show but I managed a couple of duck.....

awY4gqd.jpg

Love shooting teal, well done. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Stavross said:

One thing we did find out when we were feeding is she really doesn’t like the great outdoors

I'd call that a lucky escape for ya! I reckon its important for a couple to have different interests/pastimes: I have farming & shooting and she enjoys ironing and cooking..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
51 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

I'd call that a lucky escape for ya! I reckon its important for a couple to have different interests/pastimes: I have farming & shooting and she enjoys ironing and cooking..... 

I don’t mind her coming with me, I think she misses out a lot not coming to the shoot days, getting to know new people and being out in the fresh air. I wish she had different views on where good food comes from and why we shoot, but everyone’s different and if we all liked the same things there wouldn’t be enough to go round 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

It's very frustrating when they drop in when it's dark and you cant get a bead on them , just hear splash on the water ?

Last vestiges of light .You need sky behind them to shoot them off cos you’ll rarely see them in .We get 30/40 teal when weather gets hard and damn good shooting on the right night .Give me a mallard for eating though any day .

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Last vestiges of light .You need sky behind them to shoot them off cos you’ll rarely see them in .We get 30/40 teal when weather gets hard and damn good shooting on the right night .Give me a mallard for eating though any day .

I can’t eat Teal . Not after I saw them dabbling around some sanitary towels at a sewage treatment works . ?

• Haha 3
19 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I can’t eat Teal . Not after I saw them dabbling around some sanitary towels at a sewage treatment works . ?

Additional iron in one's diet can be beneficial! 

When I was working with pigs i regularly would watch sows fighting amongst themselves trying to drink piss straight from the fanny of an on heat sow! But I still eat bacon! 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
53 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Additional iron in one's diet can be beneficial! 

When I was working with pigs i regularly would watch sows fighting amongst themselves trying to drink piss straight from the fanny of an on heat sow! But I still eat bacon! 

You are a whole other level of wrong ??

• Haha 3

Feeding this morning and we’ve had a covering of snow, the birds are hungry and waiting at the feed areas in the piggeries drives and Gordon’s pen, even had a few at the forestry pen drive at the centre of the shoot, I had the missus with me again this morning and she seems keen to come beating on Saturday as long as she doesn’t get cold ( not sure I can do anything about that ). I would be happy if we get a little more snow for Saturday to keep the birds where I’ve got them and hopefully keep them hunkered down in the cover of the woods 

274E8FF5-357B-4FDC-AB51-5884B34DE3DE.jpeg

A80C5103-6E72-46B3-8093-70573B4E7761.jpeg

A367B10B-6B99-4640-AB0C-07991C539205.jpeg

EB73ADCC-023C-4F78-A194-FA351B7D4822.jpeg

• Like 2