Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Feeding this morning was pretty . A thin covering of snow . I was in two minds of what to do , the snow was coming down hard when I started to feed and was covering up the wheat I was laying down , so I head back , then it stopped so I carried on . It is fairly slushy and the wheat is falling into the snow , not sure if it’s a waste or not , but I figured that a least they might get something. 
            On a different note storm Bella knocked the power out in the village . A power line that goes through one of the woods we drive on shoot days came down . I didn’t know about it and when I was feeding the following morning I drove the mule underneath the power line that just cleared the top , I nearly shit myself . It looks like they have done some sort of temporary fix . We are shooting tomorrow  and I need to know if it’s safe . I’ve just got on to Western power and I am waiting for someone to call me back . The last thing I want is an accident. Also it would knacker the drive if we turn up and there are engineers there while we are about to shoot . 

6078CA25-9F32-45AE-B06A-DE172A56BC42.jpeg

A77FE1A4-3FEB-4E87-8EE0-4B368763DD8A.jpeg

• Like 1

Feeding on Boxing Day and speaking to the landlady she said they had had a good covering on Christmas Eve  night, I’d normally be there for first light but the missus said she wanted to come with me, so by the time we got there the snow had melted, just leaving it very wet and muddy. One thing we did find out when we were feeding is she really doesn’t like the great outdoors and I can’t shoot the tree rats in front of her ( because they are fluffy and cute) I’ll be back up in the morning for more hand feeding and hopefully a bit of squizzer bashing 

I had an early evening walk out up there last night and we were forecast a light snow shower, by the time I got to the far side of the shoot the snow was coming down heavy, really messing with the NV and thermal, I had the caller 60 meters out in the field facing the tree side of the piggeries, expecting the ginger to come from that direction, after 20 minutes of vixen sexy call one came in from completely the opposite direction, it was almost sat on the caller before we picked it up through the thermal,   Even at 60 meters it was hard to pick it out through the wraith with the snow messing with the IR, down it went and it turned out to be a small dog ( no picture because my phone got wet )

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Lovely pics J .You doing any earths yet !

I had call yesterday, from my mate who came with me ratting at your permission , the keeper with the Teckles . He said he had a mark but it was a tight spot and his dogs were all too big to reach it . We dug a nice little vixen to my Mabel  . It was only a meter but it’s bloody hard work in Cotswold stone . 
        I’m a bit pissed off because I should be out checking earths in this weather, but we are shooting tomorrow and I’ve just been out with an engineer from Western power who has assured me the lines are safe and will be repaired after we shoot . And then I’ve got to start jet washing the trucks .?

• Sad 1