Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Well in spite of the full moon at least it wasn’t raining last night so I decided to venture out and have a look around the shoot . I’ve been spending my time repairing pens and repairing damaged feeders and drinkers , but also looking for Cubs , I’ve looked in all the usual places but can see no sign of any , but I know there must be some as I caught a smallish cub in a Larsen . It’s still very wet so I didn’t want to drive over the fields too much so I opted to park up in the shade of an oak tree and let the caller work it’s magic . It took a while but eventually the unmistakable shape of a fox was spotted by my buddy and I was ready to take the shot , I turned off the caller but it was still coming in to the fox cub call . “Oi” it stopped and very graciously presented itself for a nice 75 meter shot . When we picked it up it was a good sized dog fox , probably the one my boss had seen that morning while he walked his dogs, I’ll probably get a pat on the head now . We had a bit of a try in a couple of places but nothing else showed so I decided to call it a night , however on the way back we drove past a field of beans that are about 3” high and saw a fox crossing the field , it was tanking along and shouted at it and it stopped , I shot and I heard a deep thud it rolled over , squirmed and then made for this thick hedge. My friend told me it guts  were hanging out as he could see a trail in the thermal. We drove to the hedge and found it with the thermal. Job done and a good way to open my account for this year . 

395887A6-E689-4099-A9E9-C0C5A6AD404D.jpeg

38744906-2ECE-4C1B-85B8-A6EA6542E800.jpeg

• Like 6
23 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I was dressed up like an Eskimo. F@ckin freezing ? last night 

Supposed to warm up from tomorrow ? Be nice to get a bit warmth into the bones for a change. Still got the heating on in the house. Hopefully be better weather when I come down ?

1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

Moaning is one of my great pleasures in life , if things were going well for me I would be miserable ? 

You'd make a cracking farmer!! (Or woman!!)

• Haha 2

Yeah practice these sayings 

" fields blue wi pigeons " translation 1 or 2 birds on my crops.

"Ow much ,ooh my dicky ticker" = that's cheap but il not admit it.

" Times are hard ,can't afford it" means my mattress is hard with all the cash stashed under it.

"Sharpen your pencil young man and your paying the Vat" becomes I want it for nothing and a bit towards me holiday. 

If you find you use these sayings then truly your a farmer ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2