Back up at the shoot

14 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Chilly wind here mate , give it a bit longer then go walkabout. 

Been sleet here today, 100mph wind yesterday and snow forecast for weekend with 60mph winds, the joys ?

• Haha 2

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

On 20/03/2021 at 21:51, Longshanx said:

Cracking finish to a days stalking, you weren't far from what you said last weekend about the 1 in 5 outings. Glad we finally had the chance for me to drop my first deer. Cheers mate for the guidance. 

Work needed on the gralloch, but not to bad for my first time I thought. Practice makes perfect. 

Considering we had to try and cover about 100m quickly over uneven ground to get the shot, heart racing and breathing heavy, I'm glad I could compose myself and get the cross hairs on her. I could just see the cross hair as the light was closing in. 

With a zoom out and a twist of the focus I could see where I need to be, breath, gentle squeeze on the trigger and the shot was taken.

She ran, but not very far, slowing to a walk then over she fell. 

When we first walked up I've got to admit I thought it was a bad shot, but that was the exit. On closer inspection when the gralloch was done, it was a clean shot straight through the lungs. Phew, panic over. A perfect shot placement. 

Now looking forward to butchering it tomorrow. Stav is finally getting his venison mince for his cottage pie he keeps talking about? perfect timing as I've just bought a meat grinder ?

Fantastic day with good company, cheers dude ???

Fantastic stuff, a just reward for some good field craft .?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Well no luck tonight,  the chilly wind spoilt things.  I did see 4 roe,  2 bucks and 2 does but no shot available.  A cock pheasant emerged from the copse with 11 hens in tow...

Still beats watching sh1t on the box Mark ?

• Like 1

Just popped out for the last hour in the chilly wind for a recce to see if any bucks knocking about ready for April. Quite surprisingly I saw 8 roe including 3 bucks . I havent shot any does off this farm this season so looked for a doe follower. Right on last knockings found what I was looking for and had a great stalk in on this barren doe ?

20210326_191730.jpg

• Like 3

Walked my Sunday dinner off around the shoot, was asked to shoot the rabbits around the farm so took the .17 for my mate to use, after half a dozen we headed over the far side for a call. No foxes so we headed back towards the farm, as we got into the bottom field there was a very nice roe buck no more than 40 yards from us, so I’ll maybe have a go at him in the coming weeks, I did take a 150 yard rabbit with the.223, the fox can spend a bit of time picking them bits up ( what a mess ) not the most eventful of evenings but still a nice walk out ?

24D1B474-100E-4FB2-998A-02F2C12E8685.jpeg

• Like 6
40 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Had the jab Sunday and yesterday knocked me for 6 .Aches all over and stomach cramps .Fine today .

Worth feeling a bit sh*t, for a day or two, I’m just waiting for them to get round to doing us youngsters ?

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Had the jab Sunday and yesterday knocked me for 6 .Aches all over and stomach cramps .Fine today .

Daughter had hers a week ago , was very ill for 24 hours. I'm still delaying mine a bit ...but will get it soon.

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

Worth feeling a bit sh*t, for a day or two, I’m just waiting for them to get round to doing us youngsters ?

I think it is mate .f**k all this community spirit saving lives and shit ,I just want to go abroad again .

• Haha 1