What to get?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My last hornet. A BSA. 1958.

It is Anschutz man ffs. If you are going to recommend a make to someone at least spell it correctly. Schultz is what you put under a car to stop it rusting, or to hide the fact that it alrea

I’d go 300 Win mag, but we have some bloody big rabbits up here ?

Posted Images

7 hours ago, lllluke1 said:

What I'm thinking is we have a good SW wind here quite alot of the time.  Is the .22wmr less affected by the wind compared to the .17hmr?  Or are they both about the same?  Got to wait for this lockdown to be over, so got plenty of time to think about it.

Everything is affected by wind. Especially my Mrs!

• Haha 3
12 hours ago, Alsone said:

As if by magic......

( A day late, had trouble with the flying carpet at customs due to Corona).

I'm just going to say it depends on what you want it to do. If you need more range, or have big mice, consider the HMR. If it's just the fact you can't fit a scope but the gun otherwise does everything you want of it, buy another .22lr, eg CZ or Anshultz with a mod and some subs. 

It is Anschutz man ffs.

If you are going to recommend a make to someone at least spell it correctly.

Schultz is what you put under a car to stop it rusting, or to hide the fact that it already has.?

• Haha 7

.22 subs scoped up rifle all day imo for rabbits more satisfying to shoot  quieter and cheaper to feed, .17 hmr noiser by a long way, can take them up to 150 yards possible, sometimes too easily, but does the job,anything bigger is over kill imo.

On 23/04/2020 at 14:34, Anarchist Outdoors said:

There's a cartridge everyone seems to have forgotten about that you might consider.  It's the 17 mach 2.  I believe it's a .22 LR necked down to .17.    17 grain projectile at about 2100 fps.  I wanted a rifle chambered in it "just to be different".   I had a break-action single shot chambered in it for shooting squirrels and it's been OK in that role.  It has NOT, however had the most stellar accuracy.  It groups about 2MOA at 50 yards.  The gunsmith is telling me he has not achieved the same accuracy possible with the .17 HMR.  When I had the barrel built I wanted to be able to shoot squirrels at 100 yards and that has not panned out but it's OK out to 40. 

17 M2.jpg

So no benefit at all over a .22LR and it's supersonic so it's noisier?  

Edited by BGA
1 hour ago, BGA said:

Not a lot.  Will shoot flatter out to 100 yards I suppose.  Plus I just like it.  Look at it, all pointy and wicked looking.  I believe the .22 LR are typically supersonic too, but come to think of it, it does seem to have more report than a .22LR. 

Yes my hands are very clean.  I probably just got done washing dishes prior to taking the picture or rinsing dog drool off of them or something. 

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Anarchist Outdoors said:

Not a lot.  Will shoot flatter out to 100 yards I suppose.  Plus I just like it.  Look at it, all pointy and wicked looking.  I believe the .22 LR are typically supersonic too, but come to think of it, it does seem to have more report than a .22LR. 

Yes my hands are very clean.  I probably just got done washing dishes prior to taking the picture or rinsing dog drool off of them or something. 

but if it groups 2 MOA at 50yds, your best group is 2 inch at 100? 

It does look cool I'll give you that. 

• Like 1
On 24/04/2020 at 17:58, KimE said:

A leveraction in .30-30, 357mag, or 45colt would fit cheaper ammo with reloads than 22wmr and .223r.

Never get it in the UK as the Uk restricts calibre by prey size. You have to prove good reason to possess a calibre.

.30-30 is going to be deer as good reason not fox or rabbit. You'd never usually get a grant for fox alone. .357 mag or .45 colt might possibly get for fox being handgun calibres although size wise they probably exceed the typical bullet size commonly granted for that reason. Decisions however are made on energy not size, so a chance here depending on what energy they make from a 20" barrel. However, I'd expect no chance of either for rabbit.

On 24/04/2020 at 22:03, BGA said:

I think that's why the Mach 2 never really took off. It wasn't a hot cartridge so didn't really offer anything matching what some of the other wildcat .17's were already offering. Best calibre in .17 in my opinion as an alround gun is .17 hornet. If you prefer .22, the .22 hormet. Little to choose between the two. .17 if anything a little flatter and more usable range. However, stirring a hornets nest in trying to justify one over the other. Both will kill fox at medium range and are usable on rabbit, if a tad expensive for shooting many of the latter.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Never get it in the UK as the Uk restricts calibre by prey size. You have to prove good reason to possess a calibre.

.30-30 is going to be deer as good reason not fox or rabbit. You'd never usually get a grant for fox alone. .357 mag or .45 colt might possibly get for fox being handgun calibres although size wise they probably exceed the typical bullet size commonly granted for that reason. Decisions however are made on energy not size, so a chance here depending on what energy they make from a 20" barrel. However, I'd expect no chance of either for rabbit.

I had 30/30, 308 and 357 just for fox on my license. 

You have to give a good reason. I did and got what needed/wanted.

• Like 3

My pal and myself bought CZ WMR rifles a few weeks before the lock down so had limited use but I have to say my pal took a fox with a nice clean kill and we have had a few rabbits along with target work and we are both really pleased with these guns, Quieter than the .17HMR.

Phil

• Like 1

Right, I think i have made up my mind, think.  Definitely a pard 008lrf when they are back in stock in a couple of weeks ish.  A i'm 90% sure a .22wmr, that will cover fox and rabbit and if asked it will be a dedicated night vision rifle hence the need for it.

• Like 5