Pb whippets and ferrets advice

Hi all, very new to this kind of sport always had an interest in getting involved and only recently have found the time to start up also I’m based in Ireland.

not sure if I’m posting this in the right place but hope ya can help me out with any advice possible I’m very eager to pick up as much info as possible.

ive never bred dogs or ferrets but have experience Breeding sheep and poultry, nowhere near the same I’m sure but I’ve dealt with young animals and am well aware of the time/money/care needed to invents in such Things and I’m fully prepared to put everything into this.

im looking to breed whippets first off for working rabbits, not interested in using The dogs for bigger animals which is why I’ve chosen the whippet Think there a beautiful little dog! Is it possible to have dogs in which can work and also show with good results? As I’m interested in doing both just to try get my name out there a bit more and to hopefully someday become a breeder known for having good dogs!

Also what’s the average litter size for whippets? 

and Also I’m having a hard time finding good stock to start up with around Ireland, if anyone knows any breeders that would be great! All advice/experience/criticism/questioning welcomed as I really do want to do this properly 

also in terms of the ferrets is there enough people breeding good stock without some young lad starting up aswell or is there some sort of a market for them? 

The thing drawing me to this most is the undoubted fact I’m going to have fun doing every minute of it wether it’s simple care/showing/working whatever it may be I know I’ll enjoy it! I’m interested mainly in breeding to use the money to re invest and improve stock, I’m not just looking to breed them thinking I’m going to make a fortune but beyond start up I’d like for them to pay there own way at the least. Also thinking of the idea of also using both animals as a service to clear out rabbit/rats for farmers etc

thanks for your time and really appreciate any replies!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don’t take this the wrong way mate, but sit down and read through your post. The world has enough folk already breeding and peddling dogs. 

The only way you will own or breed anything of any working value is to take the money factor out of the equation.

There's no money in selling dogs.... And certainly no money in ferrets, they get given to good working homes round here?

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

Just buy a good whippet and brace of ferrets and enjoy them no need to breed them , when I started out with whippets I was given a book called whippets today by patsy Gilmore it's on Ebay for a few quid 

I don’t want to just buy a good whippet, I’d rather invest in a great whippet and keep the line going, thanks mate I’ll have a look at the book!

Waist of time breeding For profit as the goal becomes just about money not about good sound working stock that can do the job kennel blindness takes over it becomes about numbers But soon as your known as a peddler you become blacklisted by any one that is serious about working dogs an knows there way round a dog it’ll only be gullible fools that fool for the sales pitch offered an get tucked up with shit it’s sad really 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Cqwhippet said:

I don’t want to just buy a good whippet, I’d rather invest in a great whippet and keep the line going, thanks mate I’ll have a look at the book!

You can chuck as much money as you like into buying a well bred dog mate but it don’t mean it will make the grade and be worthy of breeding from. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Cqwhippet said:

There's no chance you will get anywhere near great genetics when mentioning breeding mate trust me. The respectable kennels / breeders will not entertain what you have said on your posts.  Not having a dig by the way.

3 hours ago, Cqwhippet said:

The only way you will own or breed anything of any working value is to take the money factor out of the equation.

• Like 8
18 hours ago, Cqwhippet said:

Without putting the time in to start with you aren't going to know the difference.

• Like 3