Is it ever going to stop raining

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got soaked through to my new Xmas bundys earlier...... Had to get out..... The fever was setting in??  

It's swamped out here, still have to get the dog out

I can't remember a winter as wet as this one. Lots of crops knackered, some farmers still trying to keep stock out which is poaching the ground up. Most of the maze was f****d or harvested late and go

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Talking of gaiters. I've been using neoprene MacGaiters this season. Couldn't really get on with gaiters before but I'm loving these.

Just had a quick google, they do look good, might treat myself to a pair for next winter, never really bothered in the past but couldn’t be without a pair of gaiters now also enjoying seal skin socks, as billy Connolly said no such thing as bad weather just bad clothes ??

Thursday night saw a torrential downpour that caused a flash flood on the estate I work on . One house was flooded and a garage with a vintage car in it , the damage runs into thousands. The ground was already saturated, so any more water just runs straight off . I went to put some feed out in one of the covers this morning and got stuck . The rain from Thursday had washed the soil away in the wheel ruts and I bottomed out . I tried to dig myself out but couldn’t. A phone call to the tractor driver it was , and the look on my face was enough for him to think twice about taking the piss . I had a complete sense of humour loss . All the fields are still stubble or half ploughed or rye grass that has been sprayed off or rape that’s been eaten by flea beetles. It’s a real disaster for agriculture. It will all be winter wheat or barley planted in the spring with lower yields. The price of wheat will go up . 

A52BDF7F-CB40-41B0-8A78-634FEEA4C403.jpeg

• Sad 1
20 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Thursday night saw a torrential downpour that caused a flash flood on the estate I work on . One house was flooded and a garage with a vintage car in it , the damage runs into thousands. The ground was already saturated, so any more water just runs straight off . I went to put some feed out in one of the covers this morning and got stuck . The rain from Thursday had washed the soil away in the wheel ruts and I bottomed out . I tried to dig myself out but couldn’t. A phone call to the tractor driver it was , and the look on my face was enough for him to think twice about taking the piss . I had a complete sense of humour loss . All the fields are still stubble or half ploughed or rye grass that has been sprayed off or rape that’s been eaten by flea beetles. It’s a real disaster for agriculture. It will all be winter wheat or barley planted in the spring with lower yields. The price of wheat will go up . 

I can't remember a winter as wet as this one. Lots of crops knackered, some farmers still trying to keep stock out which is poaching the ground up. Most of the maze was f****d or harvested late and gone mouldy so they are short of winter feed. Barley has poor germination or the seed rotted in the ground, stubble fields still stubble. Out ferreting on one farm recently up to are ankles in sloppy mud, turned to my mate said do you know I'm really not enjoying this mate. He replied I'm the same. I don't mind getting wet but hauling the gear around drying the gear out getting the purse nets and long nets plastered. Oh for a good frosty still morning when you can hear the rabbit rattle and they come flying out.

Cheers Arry

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, Arry said:

I can't remember a winter as wet as this one. Lots of crops knackered, some farmers still trying to keep stock out which is poaching the ground up. Most of the maze was f****d or harvested late and gone mouldy so they are short of winter feed. Barley has poor germination or the seed rotted in the ground, stubble fields still stubble. Out ferreting on one farm recently up to are ankles in sloppy mud, turned to my mate said do you know I'm really not enjoying this mate. He replied I'm the same. I don't mind getting wet but hauling the gear around drying the gear out getting the purse nets and long nets plastered. Oh for a good frosty still morning when you can hear the rabbit rattle and they come flying out.

Cheers Arry

They reckon it was the wettest autumn in living memory , and the winter hasn’t been much better. Every morning I’m out feeding pheasants and I’m spinning wheat into mud and puddles , I’ve had to get really aggressive tyres on my ATV  because I was sliding and slipping all over . We have got drives on this shoot that have been impossible to shoot because we can’t get the guns there . It’s been a bloody headache. 

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

They reckon it was the wettest autumn in living memory , and the winter hasn’t been much better. Every morning I’m out feeding pheasants and I’m spinning wheat into mud and puddles , I’ve had to get really aggressive tyres on my ATV  because I was sliding and slipping all over . We have got drives on this shoot that have been impossible to shoot because we can’t get the guns there . It’s been a bloody headache. 

Must be hard mate. I'm retired so is my mate so we can chose when we go. But I want to enjoy a days hunting not to go out and suffer, just crave some cold dry weather. Seems all to hell at the moment it blew a b*****d and pissed down all day today and another one the same to come tomorrow.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

I would of given you a bollocking for riding in the ruts.

plenty of room to move to the right and have the inside wheel in the middle ?

2 minutes ago, king said:

I would of given you a bollocking for riding in the ruts.

plenty of room to move to the right and have the inside wheel in the middle ?

I’ve been riding in the same ruts all winter . The rain washed the bottom out . You see them rushes on the left , that means it’s boggy and you see them trees on the right there is a tree close as you drive in . You can’t get out of the ruts , it’s so wet . You could have tried to bollock me , but I would have just said “ well you show me how it’s done , expert  “ and stood back and watched  . 

3 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve been riding in the same ruts all winter . The rain washed the bottom out . You see them rushes on the left , that means it’s boggy and you see them trees on the right there is a tree close as you drive in . You can’t get out of the ruts , it’s so wet . You could have tried to bollock me , but I would have just said “ well you show me how it’s done , expert  “ and stood back and watched  . 

Someone has made 1 pass on the route I said mate.and made it easy looking at the tyre marks.

I've spent my whole working life on dumptrucks/360/dozers. 

And seen many a foreman blow up for lads riding in the ruts.

But hope it dries up a bit for you to go about your work mate ?

14 minutes ago, king said:

Someone has made 1 pass on the route I said mate.and made it easy looking at the tyre marks.

I've spent my whole working life on dumptrucks/360/dozers. 

And seen many a foreman blow up for lads riding in the ruts.

But hope it dries up a bit for you to go about your work mate ?

Look at the direction of the tread it’s on the return journey. Where you enter the cover you end up being locked in like on a train track . I hate riding ruts and in all my years I’ve never seen anything like this . I am as fussy as hell and to see this mess pisses me off. But wherever you are bottlenecked or the ground makes you have to follow a track you sometimes can’t help it . If you have to take these routes day in day out then it makes a real mess .

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Look at the direction of the tread it’s on the return journey. Where you enter the cover you end up being locked in like on a train track . 

I agree once in them ruts there is no escape.

It's a fecker when you do ride the side of them and slide in lol.

No escape then.

A few ton of hard-core would be just the ticket in them ruts.

You will have to sort them out when you can mate.

3 minutes ago, king said:

I agree once in them ruts there is no escape.

It's a fecker when you do ride the side of them and slide in lol.

No escape then.

A few ton of hard-core would be just the ticket in them ruts.

You will have to sort them out when you can mate.

The plantation you see on the right is being thinned in the spring. There will be harvesters and forwarders in and out , maybe they will flatten it out when it’s a bit drier . 

• Like 1