SUPER POACHERS ??????

You forgot the IR  radio beam detectors that can be across roads, tracks and paths.  A neighbour used to get his Mrs to drop him off and he'd walk a wood, later she would drive to a layby, flash the lights and pull in.  He'd be waiting and load and be away again in about twenty seconds. Another bloke that I knew used to operate on one side of a road and on the other side was a wood where an obnoxious Bstd who was a member of a syndicate put down an amount of birds. This guy used to slip across the road with a silenced 410 and a picker ups strap carrier. He'd take his time and knock down twenty to thirty birds. He never left any feathers or cartridge cases. He would then slip back over the road and these birds would be added to the bag of that  shoot the next day.  No one ever knew or realised what was going on. Those that did know had no sympathy for the bloke who put the birds down because he was so obnoxious and a total A,.. hole.  Every wekend the syndicate drove the woods through and might put up two or three birds, which had probably strayed in from there other woods. In the end they got fed up standing on peg for an odd shot and in the end they stopped shooting this wood. They just thought that the birds had strayed. Does anyone actually go poaching birds now ? You can even give birds away.  People dont / wont dress or cook them. The guns on the shoot used to be given a brace of oven ready birds just like you would buy in a supermarket.  Different times.

• Like 3

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. 68 and still above ground mate, still ferreting three days a week if I can this time of year. Fishing in the summer, fungi and foraging in the autumn. Use it or lose it. Cheers Arry

think the art of stealthy poaching went out the window when people started lobbing bull crosses out of subarus and tearing up fields , then plastering catch pics all over facebook , I count myself luc

No mobile phones no hidden cameras no old bill in fekin helicopters us that did a bit from the 70s to the early 90s had easey compaired to now days.lol

Posted Images

Poached in some form or other throughout my hunting life for the fun of it, whilst also having permission. Never made a penny or needed to, like my dad before me & only ever caught once or twice, though really regretted one encounter because I was firmly in the wrong. It is what it is....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Meece said:

You forgot the IR  radio beam detectors that can be across roads, tracks and paths.  A neighbour used to get his Mrs to drop him off and he'd walk a wood, later she would drive to a layby, flash the lights and pull in.  He'd be waiting and load and be away again in about twenty seconds. Another bloke that I knew used to operate on one side of a road and on the other side was a wood where an obnoxious Bstd who was a member of a syndicate put down an amount of birds. This guy used to slip across the road with a silenced 410 and a picker ups strap carrier. He'd take his time and knock down twenty to thirty birds. He never left any feathers or cartridge cases. He would then slip back over the road and these birds would be added to the bag of that  shoot the next day.  No one ever knew or realised what was going on. Those that did know had no sympathy for the bloke who put the birds down because he was so obnoxious and a total A,.. hole.  Every wekend the syndicate drove the woods through and might put up two or three birds, which had probably strayed in from there other woods. In the end they got fed up standing on peg for an odd shot and in the end they stopped shooting this wood. They just thought that the birds had strayed. Does anyone actually go poaching birds now ? You can even give birds away.  People dont / wont dress or cook them. The guns on the shoot used to be given a brace of oven ready birds just like you would buy in a supermarket.  Different times.

I once found one of them sensors made to look like an old jenny wrens nest a wire that went up the tree to an ariel it was on the only time we enterd the wood from that direction and it came on top new then the great game had took another direction with modern technology and realised it was time to call it a day.

• Like 2

There are ways and means of electronically  detecting and findIng stuff but alart from the devil of it there is no point.  It's a lot more efficient to work and earn more.  And if you have the time,  the want and the energy,  F, ing about poaching which is stealing another's labour then you can certainly go to work.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I once found one of them sensors made to look like an old jenny wrens nest a wire that went up the tree to an ariel it was on the only time we enterd the wood from that direction and it came on top new then the great game had took another direction with modern technology and realised it was time to call it a day.

Would deer fox birds and anything else going by not set these off you not reckon lol

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Chaseorbechased said:

A think back then the could only find you by ligth or shot a good thermal  will pick you  up  before you know you been seen 

A good thermal also picks up heat from keepers etc  so it works both ways lol.one plugs away the other keeps "toot"

• Like 1

Everybody is different today like yesterday, and some keepers were willing to sit in a bush all night to catch you, others had a local network that would flag up any strange goings on and some were sat in there favourite chair by the fire in the local pub like clockwork, if you were in the game you knew were you could go for an easy touch or were the outcome was going to be a lot different if you got caught but that was part of the buzz, police were also very territorial and if you got caught by a local bobby that was part of the local shoot he would happily give you a couple of sly digs or turn his back on the fact his keeper mate had just peppered your arse with shot, if you got caught back in town the copper would be more likely to take a few rabbits and tell you to clear off, it was all a big game, but the feeling of freedom and exhilaration when you are sat on a hill middle of night wind howling all around you feeling like the master of all you survey and knowing everyone else is in bed, was worth the slashed tyres, arse full of pellets or odd night in cells ✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️

• Like 5
1 hour ago, C.green said:

Would deer fox birds and anything else going by not set these off you not reckon lol

It was sett at eye level and their was no deer in these wood except for the odd red deer that escaped from the parkland now and again.The other alarm I once sett off was a wire sett at chest hight across a path that was attached to a car battery with a wire going up the tree to another ariel that must have sent a signal to the head keepers house as things got a bit hairy after that this was over 28 years ago.

Keep it a “one man and his dog” set up ,taking only what you need and you should get about your business easy enough and be able to keep out of sight......start taking extra people/dogs and your asking for trouble imo......start driving on land your not meant to be on and your asking for even more, especially if your clever enough to post your nights out on the Internet :doh:

Edited by Stoney100
  • Like 4
8 minutes ago, Stoney100 said:

Keep it a “one man and his dog” set up ,taking only what you need and you should get about your business easy enough and be able to keep out of sight......start taking extra people/dogs and your asking for trouble imo......start driving on land your not meant to be on and your asking for even more, especially if your clever enough to post your nights out on the Internet :doh:

The art of stealthy poaching seems all but lost in the age of technology!!

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

The art of stealthy poaching seems all but lost in the age of technology!!

I was out having a little wander round somewhere I was not meant to be a while back and went a little to close to the perimeter fence of a local chemical giant and must have set off some form of motion detector as I had several pick up trucks racing across the fields in my direction within minutes, but while I was sat in a hedge with the dogs dressed in real tree I had a load of security personal dressed in high viz trying to avoid puddles looking for me, communicating with each other using hand signals, I sat there for 30mins pissing myself laughing before slipping off through the hedge and back out through the hole in the fence I’d come in from, so the advent of technology has made the chasers as useless as the chased in most cases, ? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I was out having a little wander round somewhere I was not meant to be a while back and went a little to close to the perimeter fence of a local chemical giant and must have set off some form of motion detector as I had several pick up trucks racing across the fields in my direction within minutes, but while I was sat in a hedge with the dogs dressed in real tree I had a load of security personal dressed in high viz trying to avoid puddles looking for me, communicating with each other using hand signals, I sat there for 30mins pissing myself laughing before slipping off through the hedge and back out through the hole in the fence I’d come in from, so the advent of technology has made the chasers as useless as the chased in most cases, ? 

We’re you looking for teenage ninja mutant cats? 

6 minutes ago, Stoney100 said:

We’re you looking for teenage ninja mutant cats? 

As I just set cameras and don’t take game it makes me feel even better because I know even if I get caught I can’t be prosecuted, I take nothing but pictures and leave nothing bar footprints, so in answer to your question yes I was as that’s all I do these days ?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Greyman said:

As I just set cameras and don’t take game it makes me feel even better because I know even if I get caught I can’t be prosecuted, I take nothing but pictures and leave nothing bar footprints, so in answer to your question yes I was as that’s all I do these days ?

lol fair play mate, if your causing no harm they will leave you alone or just tell you to f**k off......the trouble comes when it’s a few lads being c**ts imo

• Like 2