Pre Season

1 hour ago, Allan P said:

I’ve talked to a few farmers over the years who have working collies about the farm and not one of them feed BARF. They simply don’t have the time or inclination to mess about feeding that way when a few scoops out of a bag will suffice, and these dogs cover a lot of ground during a day and manage. 

I grew up with working sheepdogs and cattle dogs, Allan,...and you are spot-on regarding how these essential animals, are often fed.

Our dogs were trained to a certain standard, then passed on to others, for finishing...

We also sold sheepdogs that were hill worn on the Welsh mountains, onto farmers in the low-lands of Kent.

My family had dozens of dogs and my Dad would never countenance feeding flesh, to a sheepdog... 

They feared that the raw meat, especially dead lambs, might encourage the dogs to have a chomp...

How fecking silly, eh...?

Mercifully, times have changed....nowadays I get a real kick out of grubbing my dogs well,.I like to see them enjoying their tucker, same as me on a nice hot Jalfrezi...?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs have been getting trotted about 25 mile a week for the last month or so getting them tightened up ready for the season, just waiting for the ground to get softened up a bit now and its full steam

We are ready. 

Yes I have to admit it gives me ‘an enormous sense of well being” driving up to Dartmoor at first light walking round watching rabbits disappear time and time again  ,driving back and feeding the dog

Posted Images

1 hour ago, shaaark said:

You know what mate, even though I've gone the whole distance regarding feeding the dogs, I do sometimes think it's all in our heads, and we tend to believe in all the scientific waffle. 'Working dogs' need 19.35% of feed per pound of bodyweight, or whatever these scientific number crunchers come up with etc, and we feel as though we're not giving our dogs the care and good nutrition they deserve if we don't strictly follow all the 'science' lol. Madness ?

That's about fair I do believe this they'll get used e e tially ra what ya give them I remember the vitalin split peas and maze chuck food really but here's the thing back a while on the hebs the farmers ran clues all day e ety day o. The great new snap wilsons its just that bit of greyhound makes a different jukel that when grafted had at times needs better snapp. My jaz does equally well on tripe twelve petce t protein. The gain twrnty high protein. Fa her but she nothing but nearly a sheperd  atb bill

2 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

I grew up with working sheepdogs and cattle dogs, Allan,...and you are spot-on regarding how these essential animals, are often fed.

Our dogs were trained to a certain standard, then passed on to others, for finishing...

We also sold sheepdogs that were hill worn on the Welsh mountains, onto farmers in the low-lands of Kent.

My family had dozens of dogs and my Dad would never countenance feeding flesh, to a sheepdog... 

They feared that the raw meat, especially dead lambs, might encourage the dogs to have a chomp...

How fecking silly, eh...?

Mercifully, times have changed....nowadays I get a real kick out of grubbing my dogs well,.I like to see them enjoying their tucker, same as me on a nice hot Jalfrezi...?

Yes I have to admit it gives me ‘an enormous sense of well being” driving up to Dartmoor at first light walking round watching rabbits disappear time and time again  ,driving back and feeding the dog the best raw grub money can buy and nothing to show for it apart from firm dog turds, what’s not to like? :)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
6 minutes ago, joe ox said:

Carnt remember which topic it was on or who was asking about salmon heads, the local supplier to me does them for a pound each. Mail order frozen in two polystyrene boxes is £12 delivery they hold about 50lb in weight.

I've never seen a Salmon head, is there much meat on them?

Has anyone an image of one?

40 minutes ago, Black neck said:

The old fish market that's now gone used to sell these conger heads fecking gret things must had fair bit of meat on 

Fish cheeks are the one mate never heard of the things until I started working with a Jamaica fella thought he was pulling my Plonka fish cheek soup ffs f****r eats chicken feet cow foot the lot savage he is ?

2 minutes ago, bunnyboiler said:

Fish cheeks are the one mate never heard of the things until I started working with a Jamaica fella thought he was pulling my Plonka fish cheek soup ffs f****r eats chicken feet cow foot the lot savage he is ?

Yeah I've seen some African brother s buying cows hoofs wtf the do wi um I've no clue