Kelpies as a stud,

Came across this hard working kelpies over here lately and thought he'd make a good dog over a greyhound, what ye reckon,.........and for those that know(wink wink) mum's the word lol

Screenshot_20190620-230604.jpg

IMG-efc382c9547d607b57c016191db80871-V.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My pup today ......  

Few recent pics of my pup, looking more lurcher like now, picks everything up very quickly 

Posted Images

I believe the cattle dogs are more driven but the working qualities must be there because alot of big farmers and ranchers prefur kelpies.

My brother in law had a 3/4 kelpie 1/4 springer.it saw me wrestle my nephew and that dog could never be trusted with me after.used to bay me every time.i was glad when it got run over.

• Haha 6

This dog,with a bitch takes down 200 sheep from a hillside,and the farmer told me they have never left one sheep behind in all the times they've done it,...they work the lambs in the sheds too ,this dogs credentials are top shop

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

This dog,with a bitch takes down 200 sheep from a hillside,and the farmer told me they have never left one sheep behind in all the times they've done it,...they work the lambs in the sheds too ,this dogs credentials are top shop

No doubt you know you know what your doing jigsaw..the couple of farmers i know with them rate them highly.truth is i know nothing really about them or herding cattle or sheep.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, jigsaw said:

As you say jigsaw its working ability is top shop, but whats its like when its just about the yard, can it switch off is it a steady type and why no mention of the other 50per cent of the breeding, how much quality is there?

• Like 1

He's a very relaxed dog,chilled to the bone, temperament is everything in a working dog,he's bred from working dogs in County Wicklow,I believe he has all the attributes I could want in any pup...I've been researching his work ethic these last few weeks,and I'm defo going to have pups in the future from him....the other 50 per cent of the breeding is my greyhound bitch, and she's bred right and has run for me well in the past

• Like 3

Kelpies are the main dog here to work stock,border collies,mostly short haired are next,cattle dogs mainly used on the big stations for cattle only as they like to bite.Kelpies would make up at least 75% of the stock dogs at a guess.They are considered the top working breed and that's all they are bred for.Its hard to find good working Aus cattle dogs as most are pet,show or guard dogs.In mountain country they use big rangy tough lines of kelpie on cattle.Kelpie in general need lots of work or they are difficult to manage.For rabbits here most use whippets or whippets mixed with other running dogs,usually staghounds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have intentions in the future to get myself a pure kelpie,but that will be when I'm winding down workwise, and have more days out in the countryside,their a superb dog and once kept active won't have issues

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

I have intentions in the future to get myself a pure kelpie,but that will be when I'm winding down workwise, and have more days out in the countryside,their a superb dog and once kept active won't have issues

As you say if kept active are a very loyal dog,great mate and guard.A lot of town people here get one,leave it in the yard and end up with a yapping nightmare.

On 26/06/2019 at 13:13, Aussie Whip said:

Kelpies are the main dog here to work stock,border collies,mostly short haired are next,cattle dogs mainly used on the big stations for cattle only as they like to bite.Kelpies would make up at least 75% of the stock dogs at a guess.They are considered the top working breed and that's all they are bred for.Its hard to find good working Aus cattle dogs as most are pet,show or guard dogs.In mountain country they use big rangy tough lines of kelpie on cattle.Kelpie in general need lots of work or they are difficult to manage.For rabbits here most use whippets or whippets mixed with other running dogs,usually staghounds.

Do the lurcher lads ,lasses use cattle dog ,Kelpi x lurchers or mostly staghounds for running bigger stuff 

the whippet makes a good rabbit dog like you say,they punch well above there size .

any pics of some of the types you ran over the yrs .

atb 

2 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Do the lurcher lads ,lasses use cattle dog ,Kelpi x lurchers or mostly staghounds for running bigger stuff 

the whippet makes a good rabbit dog like you say,they punch well above there size .

any pics of some of the types you ran over the yrs .

atb 

Running dogs are such a small % of hunters here,in NSW anyway,its all pig hunting.Cattle dogs are used for them sometimes or are in a lot of pigdog lines.They use pure kelpies a lot for bailing pigs to shoot or until the lugging dogs arrive.You cant hunt deer or roos legally with running dogs but staghounds are mostly used for fast bigger stuff or bullygrey types.The last 15 to 20 years I've mainly hunted rabbits with whippet or whippet/ stags,apart from catching goats for dog food with a pitbull.Couple of pics on living off the land section under pig headed.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

HI jigsaw, sorry for being so late to this thread but I've not been on for about a month. Do you know anything about the pedigree of the dog? Would you like me to do a bit of research? My pup's doing well. He's just over 13 months old now and (thanks to White Van Man) he experienced rabbits for the first time on Dartmoor in May. He has a great nose for hedgehogs too and whenever he finds one in my local wood he walks over to it and lays down; allowed me to film a female and her two young at the weekend thanks to his nose. He's extremely friendly and I can't ever see him being the guard dog type (touch wood) which suits me fine. Unfortunately, Scout (my old bitch) was put to sleep just over a week ago due to a short illness which turned out to be kidney failure so I'm down to two males under six...I think it's about fourteen years since I had such a youthful "pack."