28 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

That’s fair  fair enough. I personally love whippets, preferring the smaller stockier ones,  although  when it comes to standing around in wet cold windy weather they can turn into shivering wrecks, also found then to lack stamina. Great dogs if you work in warmer weather and don’t expect too much. 

Whippet sounds perfect for me then, the first sign of cold wet windy weather I’m off home, theres bound to be nicer weather along soon enough for a bit of Ferreting and just to add my expectations are pretty low so I’m never disappointed. 

• Haha 2

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoy nothing more than been out with my young Collie/Greyhound 

I had a collie x whippet/grey and sensitive was the last thing you could say he was  he was the result of an old hard mangy border collie getting to my mates whippet grey at the auction mart and

The Mongeral wheaton grey collie grey 1985   

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

That’s fair  fair enough. I personally love whippets, preferring the smaller stockier ones,  although  when it comes to standing around in wet cold windy weather they can turn into shivering wrecks, also found then to lack stamina. Great dogs if you work in warmer weather and don’t expect too much. 

The good working types here don't suffer from anything you mentioned but I haven't had a show type so cant really comment on their abilities.

23 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

The good working types here don't suffer from anything you mentioned but I haven't had a show type so cant really comment on their abilities.

Whippets feel cold wind and rain.....period....no difference if working strain or show.........here in uk.  So much more to a working dog than just speed...for me anyway.

Edited by Shortstraw
3 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

Whippets feel cold wind and rain.....period....no difference if working strain or show.........here in uk.  So much more to a working dog than just speed.

Most short coated running dogs feel cold An rain if stood about it’s strange because most people that rabbit up on the dales use whippets there’s some pretty shit weather up there I think there’s no right or wrong answer it’s personal preference my preference if lamping would be a lurcher with a drop of collie over a whippet just what I’ve seen an experienced with small running dogs like whippets is they tend to have limited distance vision due to size so it’s harder to bring them on to long slips because they can’t see far enough we’re as a dog with a bit more size as better view an vision plus whippets only have one gear ideal in close quarters but long slips you need a dog that can go up an down gears but standing over a warren a whippet takes some beating 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, poxon said:

Most short coated running dogs feel cold An rain if stood about it’s strange because most people that rabbit up on the dales use whippets there’s some pretty shit weather up there I think there’s no right or wrong answer it’s personal preference my preference if lamping would be a lurcher with a drop of collie over a whippet just what I’ve seen an experienced with small running dogs like whippets is they tend to have limited distance vision due to size so it’s harder to bring them on to long slips because they can’t see far enough we’re as a dog with a bit more size as better view an vision plus whippets only have one gear ideal in close quarters but long slips you need a dog that can go up an down gears but standing over a warren a whippet takes some beating 

Your right it is personal preference. I’ve always found a good dash of collie usually gives a more weather hardy dog, even my short coat collie lurcher was very hardy, but her coat was dense. I’ve a bitch here that is the most weather sensitive dog I’ve ever owned, but once she’s soaked she tends to perk up a bit.

i used to work my whippet all weathers....they’ll do it, but they suffer. Regards lamping.......I agree. I also found the whippet to chase more than get on and strike.  Great little dogs, but for me a lurcher allows  more flexibility in meeting your personal hunting needs.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Don’t think there’s many blokes from old pit villages that haven’t.

I not bothered about bitching.....sorry.

We must have imported the cream of the crop then,seeing you think they are shivering wimps that don't catch their prey.To me they are the quickest, most athletic  dog on the planet and the best pure bred dog for rabbits.

• Like 5

I’ve worked my whippet in the snow whilst it was blowing a gale snow literally being blown in your face (I am clearly not very bright ?) and I gave up a lot quicker than him! He had the raging hump when I packed up and left and didn’t want to leave a Warren he was marking! Never seen him give up due to conditions, shivering wreck couldn’t be further from the truth in my experience.  

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

We must have imported the cream of the crop then,seeing you think they are shivering wimps that don't catch their prey.To me they are the quickest, most athletic  dog on the planet and the best pure bred dog for rabbits.

LIke I said I’m not here to bitch. Sorry ifI’ve touched a raw nerve........and never have I said they don’t catch their prey.

You won’t get me to bite...sorry.

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

I’ve worked my whippet in the snow whilst it was blowing a gale snow literally being blown in your face (I am clearly not very bright ?) and I gave up a lot quicker than him! He had the raging hump when I packed up and left and didn’t want to leave a Warren he was marking! Never seen him give up due to conditions, shivering wreck couldn’t be further from the truth in my experience.  

how's he bred Bob kc or non ped

35 minutes ago, fred90 said:

how's he bred Bob kc or non ped

Ped sire and non ped bitch so both! I wasn’t to bothered about ped or not when I got just wanted a pup from working parents which his were. He has faults (mainly due to me) but overall an excellent rabbit dog. What surprised me was his nose, he is an incredible marking ability. Only pure whippet I’ve owned before him always had lurchers so not sure if that’s normal or not?

24 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

Ped sire and non ped bitch so both! I wasn’t to bothered about ped or not when I got just wanted a pup from working parents which his were. He has faults (mainly due to me) but overall an excellent rabbit dog. What surprised me was his nose, he is an incredible marking ability. Only pure whippet I’ve owned before him always had lurchers so not sure if that’s normal or not?

sounds my type of dog. I have no experience with whippets I only have whippet lurchers. bitch I have now is out of a non ped. when I put her to I don't know wether to use a ped or non ped.